BBC-FDC floppy controller for Raspberry Pi - New Batch In

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
billcarr2005

Re: BBC-FDC floppy controller for Raspberry Pi

Post by billcarr2005 »

picosonic wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:52 pm
Can Bill confirm that FSD is only really meant to be single sided? If so I can change the code to only operate on one side at a time. I did notice that FSD only stores logical side information and not physical side - but then I guess the Beeb treats the sides as separate volumes anyway.
Yes, I only intended to capture one side at once, as most protected disks didn't tend to fill 400KB and/or change drives during the loading process!
JasonStonier wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:16 am
When I made my own BBCFDC board, ended up with some spares, and contacted Picosonic to see if he had anyone waiting for boards, I never imagine it would snowball like this. I genuinely feel Picononic has made a huge contribution to the community with his elegant hardware and software design.
Hear hear! =D>
picosonic

Post by picosonic »

billcarr2005 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:39 am
Yes, I only intended to capture one side at once, as most protected disks didn't tend to fill 400KB and/or change drives during the loading process!
Thanks Bill and Jason, for confirming FSD are single sided and for the kind words.

I've updated the GitHub repository to default to single sided capture when .FSD output is requested.
picosonic

Post by picosonic »

I've been able to convert one of my copy protected RFI captures (from an original copy of Elite) into an FSD file and have it then work fine in beebjit - which I'm quite pleased about.

It's a 40 track version of Elite (not sure if they made 80 track ones), the copy protection seems to be as follows :

Tracks 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 have sectors ids ranging from 128 to 137.
Track 3 appears to not contain any sectors and I've marked it in the FSD as unformatted.

Can anyone verify this is correct? Thanks
Attachments
elite.zip
Original copy protected version of Elite imaged on my hardware/software converted to FSD
(50.38 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

You both have had a big part to play in it all and we all do appreciate the effort that's been put in to it and the help that's also given to the community.
Thank you both for making this such a fantastic project, and follow it with intrest.
Peter.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

Drive 0 of Elite is 40 track, drive 2 is 80 track (first 40 tracks contain data, last 40 tracks unformatted, i think)
Looking at a few key points in the image, it's possible to deduce that it's the "fixed" version :)
Knight Rider

Post by Knight Rider »

I'm interested in buying one.

Also, since this is my first post here, I want to say hello to everyone. :)
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

Knight Rider wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:46 pm
I'm interested in buying one.

:D you're on the list for a board. My last board, actually.

I'll get it tested probably Monday night and then I'll price up the postage for you and let you know by email.

Thanks!
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

Clarification for anyone coming to this thread late (like Knight Rider, who thankfully asked all the right questions by email before I sent his board):

1) The board cannot be used as a "live" floppy controller for Raspberry Pi to read disks into an emulator on the fly - [although technically possible with software support]
2) The board [can in theory write disks, but at the moment the software only supports reading]

Result of which - I still have one board left if anyone wants it!

[edited to correct my lack of understanding!]
Last edited by JasonStonier on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
danielj

Post by danielj »

I think it's probably time for a post which outlines the various options for disk archiving/writing and what they can/can't do.

d.
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

Excellently volunteered, my friend.
danielj

Post by danielj »

JasonStonier wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:58 am
Excellently volunteered, my friend.
:lol: - I'm going to run it past you first. :D
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

Me, I know nothing. My only discernible skill is using Google. :D
picosonic

Post by picosonic »

JasonStonier wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:26 am
Clarification for anyone coming to this thread late (like Knight Rider, who thankfully asked all the right questions by email before I sent his board):

1) The board cannot be used as a "live" floppy controller for Raspberry Pi to read disks into an emulator on the fly
2) The board cannot write disks, it can only read them

Result of which - I still have one board left if anyone wants it!
As it stands the physical board is wired up to be able to emulate a floppy to a host device, and to be able to write to floppy disks.
It's just my primary focus has been in reading and archive data from disks, so all the software I've written so far is read only.

I like the idea of it also being a floppy emulator, and I know people have done this exact use case with Raspberry Pi add-on circuits like mine.
Admittedly floppy emulation is probably more useful that actually writing to ageing floppies.

My Beeb is currently not working, but my floppy drives are, hence the focus of archiving.

Here's an example of a project for the Raspberry Pi 1 from somebody in Canada which supports both read and write, and one where I drew some of my initial inspiration for my PCB from (and to know it was possible). They have targetted the TRS-80 using DMK image files. This project could be made to work with my PCB with a bit of tweaking.

http://virtualfloppy.blogspot.com/2013/ ... oject.html
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

[my post above edited in light of this information from Picosonic]
Greycon

Post by Greycon »

Hi there, had just started down this road, but using an atMega328P and an old Tandon 5.25 inch drive. My use case a bit different - I am partway through building a homebrew cpu from LSTTL chips, 95% 6502 Compatible. I need a break, and I plan to attach an old 5.25 inch drive to it as a way to get some simple SW on there. Steampunk style :-)

So, I'd love to have your board as a way to ensure that my efforts to write onto the 5.25 inch diskettes from the AVR are successful. Do you have any left? If so, what's best, Paypal?

Great project, just cloned your source, and looking at it now. Never would have thought of using the SPI input!

C.
picosonic

Post by picosonic »

Greycon wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:49 pm
Do you have any left? If so, what's best, Paypal?

Great project, just cloned your source, and looking at it now. Never would have thought of using the SPI input!
Thanks for your message.

I don't personally have any boards. Jason Stonier did make some up recently, I'm not sure if he has any left?
Greycon

Post by Greycon »

JasonStonier wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:11 am
[my post above edited in light of this information from Picosonic]
Hi Jason, do you perchance have any of the BBC-FDC boards left?
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

I do - I have one left actually, but I was about to order another batch of boards anyway since interest has been so high.

I'll drop you a PM
Greycon

Post by Greycon »

JasonStonier wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:23 pm
I do - I have one left actually, but I was about to order another batch of boards anyway since interest has been so high.

I'll drop you a PM
Hi Jason,
I can't send PMs , nor can I reply to yours :-( 'Cos I'm a newbie here. Yes. I would love to have the board. Could you email me at
And we can make the necessary arrangements?

Cheers,
Con
danielj

Post by danielj »

Greycon wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:30 pm
I can't send PMs , nor can I reply to yours :-( 'Cos I'm a newbie here. Yes. I would love to have the board. Could you email me at
And we can make the necessary arrangements?

Cheers,
Con
I've enabled PMs for you :)
(and removed your email address from the post!)

d.
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

:lol:
picosonic

Post by picosonic »

vanekp wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:50 am
giving .scp a go see how that works, trying to open a .scp file in HxCFloppyEmulator is just sits there reading track 0.
I've done some work on .SCP format dumps created with my imager and these look fine with Keir Fraser's Disk Utilities.

Can you update your code from GitHub and try again with the tools you are using, then report back.
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

I've got a new batch of these boards in if anyone wants one.

£10 including UK postage.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Re: BBC-FDC floppy controller for Raspberry Pi - New Batch In

Post by Arcadian »

Just thought I'd drop a link in this thread to Jasper's recent ABug talk about the FDC boards:
http://abug.org.uk/index.php/2020/10/03 ... fdc-board/
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk
PeteD

Post by PeteD »

I'd love one please. Can you let me know how to pay. Cheers.

Pete
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

Hi Pete,
Sure thing - pretty sure I've got everything in for a few more. I tend to make them to order now the initial rush is over.

Let me check and get back to you - if you can drop me a PM with your email address we can get things moving (you might have to ask an Admin nicely to enable PMs for you).

Cheers,

Jason
PeteD wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:39 pm
oe7twj

Post by oe7twj »

I'd also love one please. Can you let me know how to pay.

Regards
Tommy
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

Me too, please! Would love one of these. Show me the way...
JasonStonier

Post by JasonStonier »

No problem guys - I've got the boards in for about another 15 or so, but only the buffer chips for one.

I'll get some more chips on order and get boards out to you shortly after - not sure what RS Components' deliveries will be like, so might be early in the new year.
j6wbs

Post by j6wbs »

I would be interested too, I don’t have enough star dot karma to send PMs yet.

Cheers

Jez

Return to “for sale / freebies”