IBM OS/2

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
daveejhitchins

IBM OS/2

Post by daveejhitchins »

Can anyone make use of this? P&P only . . .
Taken . . .
Taken . . .

Dave H :D
Last edited by daveejhitchins on Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geraldholdsworth

Re: IBM OS/2

Post by geraldholdsworth »

I'd be interested, just to have a play with, but I don't have anything old enough to run it on...unless it'll run on an RiscPC with a PC card.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk
roland

Post by roland »

Good old times .... I used OS/2 a lot bitd. I even bought a license of OS/2 Warp when it was introduced. Later I became a Certified Warp Server Administrator 8)

I still have a pc running Warp Connect with an Atom-in-PC card installed :lol:

For silly (or nostalgic?) reasons I also kept a set of OS/2 1.3 discs.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut »

geraldholdsworth wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:44 pm
I'd be interested, just to have a play with, but I don't have anything old enough to run it on...unless it'll run on an RiscPC with a PC card.
OS/2 Warp was compatible with most hardware from the Windows NT era. It should run on Pentium Processors. The problem will be support and Device Drivers for any peripherals and possibly some Chipsets.

I believe that I have a boxed copy of OS/2 Warp somewhere so PM me if you want to go there.
#1 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 1770 DFS + Dual TEAC Floppy
#2 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Dual Floppy + Speech
#3 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Cumana Single Floppy + PiTubeDirect on KenLowe's Tube Level Shifter
soviet

Post by soviet »

it could be super fun installing from the 30 floppy disk the os is one and have a bad one in the middle of the install :P.

remember me when i installed os/2 for the first time and also windows 95 :oops:
flibble

Post by flibble »

geraldholdsworth wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:44 pm
Probably not, the RiscPC PC card was a bit of a bodge and didn't implement the full PC spec. As such Windows 3.1 and 95 ran, NT didn't and you needed a very specific version of Linux that wasn't just a regular PC distro.
sh0dan

Post by sh0dan »

I don't want to deprive someone else so please offer it to those above first. However, if no one else is interested then I'd love to try it on my IBM Personal System 55 SX... I think it will run on its 386 SX processor... just.

I'll happily pay postage or will be dropping in on the Acorn World exhibition in Cambridge.

Thanks
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

I don’t think anyone has actually said they want it (?) So I’ll bring it to Cambridge with me . . . Unless I hear from anyone above first.

sh0dan

Post by sh0dan »

daveejhitchins wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:07 am
I don’t think anyone has actually said they want it (?) So I’ll bring it to Cambridge with me . . . Unless I hear from anyone above first.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Was this from the era when IBM paid for software development by k’loc (££££ per thousand lines of code)?

I seem to remember being offered the choice of installing ‘warp or Windows when buying a PC a long time ago only to find it didn’t have enough RAM to run OS/2 Warp. Windows was fine. Which is saying something. :shock:
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
roland

Post by roland »

Both OS/2 Warp and Windows'95 needed a minimum of 4 MB RAM - 8MB was better. And yes, Warp should run on an IBM Model 55SX (with 386SX processor).

I even have a copy of OS/2 1.3 Standard Edition which runs on a 286 with 2MB. Who knows ... perhaps I can run it in a few years on one of my future Atom designs =P~
Last edited by roland on Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spuggets

Post by spuggets »

Version 2.1? I have this kicking about in a corner somewhere too! I once spent an evening installing it onto an old 486 only to get to the end and find it refused to boot :D
sh0dan

Post by sh0dan »

I'm hopeful to have some time this weekend or next and I'll post back with the result :D
Wheel_nut

Post by Wheel_nut »

spuggets wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:26 pm
Version 2.1? I have this kicking about in a corner somewhere too! I once spent an evening installing it onto an old 486 only to get to the end and find it refused to boot :D
Have you checked your BIOS Settings? There used to be a switch that needed to be set to enable OS/2,
#1 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 1770 DFS + Dual TEAC Floppy
#2 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Dual Floppy + Speech
#3 BBC Model B Issue 7 + 8271 DFS + Cumana Single Floppy + PiTubeDirect on KenLowe's Tube Level Shifter
Kazzie

Post by Kazzie »

Wheel_nut wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:15 pm
spuggets wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:26 pm
Have you checked your BIOS Settings? There used to be a switch that needed to be set to enable OS/2,
That was only relevant for machines with more than 64MB of RAM, iirc. A 486 with 64MB+ of RAM would be a sight worth seeing!
BBC Model B 32K issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
RiscPC 600 under repair
Acorn System 1 home-made replica
sh0dan

Post by sh0dan »

soviet wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:03 am
it could be super fun installing from the 30 floppy disk the os is one and have a bad one in the middle of the install :P.

remember me when i installed os/2 for the first time and also windows 95 :oops:
Was thinking about this... so checked the floppy disks with my Kryoflux board ahead of installing from them. 100% success rate. So... looking good for when I do my PS/2 tomorrow or next weekend :D
sh0dan

Post by sh0dan »

Off we go then...

15 minutes in and were on disk 3 :) Its going to be a long night! I've formatted the hard disk so no turning back...
Attachments
Os2.jpg
Install.jpg
sh0dan

Post by sh0dan »

Thanks again Dave, fully installed.

I'm not sure what I was expecting on the Dos and Windows compatibility front, but a full windows desktop launched from OS/2 wasn't it :)
Attachments
Games.jpg
Chess.jpg
Commands.jpg
Os2Win.jpg
Os2Dos.jpg
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Excellent =D>

Surprised, but glad it’s all working . . .

roland

Post by roland »

sh0dan wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:48 pm
I'm not sure what I was expecting on the Dos and Windows compatibility front, but a full windows desktop launched from OS/2 wasn't it :)
This looks just as it was ment to be. Seeing these pictures brings back sweet memories.

It's a pity that there aren't modern applications available for it. However maybe it is possible to compile some open source software.
soviet

Post by soviet »

Great setup os/2 look great on that IBM PS/2 hardware even you have the correct mouse for the job :D
Makes me whant to install os/2

Return to “for sale / freebies”