New Batch ROM / RAM Expansion Board for BBC B

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
KenLowe

New Batch ROM / RAM Expansion Board for BBC B

Post by KenLowe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi,

I've had a few requests from various sources for a second batch of IntegraB boards, so I ordered up another small quantity of PCBs and built these up over the last few weeks. The routing errors that were in my first batch have been fixed on these boards. I'm primarily selling these new boards via eBay, but if anyone on here is interested, I will be able to sell at a discount (£72.50 inc. UK delivery instead of £82.50). As a reminder, the board consists of the following:
  • 8 x Expansion sockets for 8k / 16k ROMs. 4 of these sockets can be used for 32k ROMs / write protectable battery backed RAM / EEPROM / Flash / FRAM (banks 8 thru 15)
  • 4 x 16k write protectable battery backed RAM banks (banks 4 thru 7)
  • 20k Shadow RAM
  • 12k Private RAM
  • Y2K compliant RTC
  • IBOS (IntegraB OS) / Basic in a combined 32k EPROM. This uses one of the 32k ROM sockets on the IntegraB board
Installation is fairly straight forward. No soldering required. The 6502 processor needs to be removed from the BBC motherboard, and inserted into a socket on the IntegraB board. The board then plugs into the 6502 socket on the BBC. There are also 3 wires than need to jumper from the IntergaB board onto existing jumper pins on the BBC motherboard, which allows access to the 4 ROM sockets on the main BBC motherboard (banks 0 thru 3). Additionally there are 2 power wires than need to be re-routed from the BBC to the IntegraB, and 2 wires from the IntegraB back to the BBC motherboard.

The board has been tested and will happily co-exist with DFS*1 / Floppy drive / Gotek, Econet, VideoNula, Datacentre, 2nd Processor / Pi Copro, GoSDC / GoMMC, MMFS, BeebSCSI / Winchester HDD, speech synthesiser, various PALPROM solutions (like SpellMaster 128).

Note, however, that the IntegraB will not work with BBCs that have had wiring modifications to accept 32K ROMS / RAM / EEPROM in the 4 ROM sockets. This is because the IntegraB uses some of the same ROM slots that have been assigned to the modified sockets on the mainboard. I recommend that you reverse any wiring mods to the 4 ROM sockets before installing the IntgeraB.

As mentioned previously, price for this batch will be £67.50 + £5 UK postage, and I will be looking for payment via Paypal gift. I may be able to do international delivery, but please contact me for international postage costs.

For this price, you will get the following:
  • IntegraB board as described above
  • 32k PROM pre-programmed with IBOS and Basic. This will be pre-installed in IntegraB ROM socket 15 (ROM banks 14 & 15)
    User Guide
  • 2 x Self adhesive support strips
  • 40 pin socket extension
  • 2 wire power lead to connect between the IntegraB board and the main BBC motherboard
  • 3 wire signal lead to connect between the IntegraB board and the main BBC motherboard
In addition, I also have a small quantity of 32k EEPROM and RAM modules that I can supply with the board. Each additional module will cost £2.50.

If interested, please note interest below, and we can take it to PM for payment and delivery details.

*1 Please note that if you have a 1770 expansion board with ICs fitted on the underside of the board, it is possible this board has been fitted with an extension socket to lift it above the speech chip IC93, and it may be necessary for me to install the IntegraB power socket in a slightly different location to remove a clash between the IntegraB board and the elevated 1770 board. The latest 1770 boards sold by retroclinic and ctorwy31 have the ICs mounted on the topside of the board, and will not cause a clash. If you have any doubt, please contact me so I can advise you.

Some photos attached for you to view:
IntegraB - Manual Front page.png
20190707_150010.jpg
20190707_145734.jpg
20190707_145744.jpg
20190707_150101.jpg
20190707_145724.jpg
20190707_150812.jpg
20190707_144615.jpg
20190707_144658.jpg
20190707_144912.jpg
Last edited by KenLowe on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KenLowe

Re: New Batch ROM / RAM Expansion Board for BBC B

Post by KenLowe » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Sorry for the bump. I tried to edit my earlier post to add an updated User Guide, but I think there must be a limit to the number of attachments I can add to an individual post. Updated User Guide attached here...
Attachments
Integra-B User Guide - Rev 2.pdf
(978.71 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Last edited by KenLowe on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:34 pm

That's a small batch completely built up and ready to ship. The most time consuming bit is getting all the 'extras' sorted! The observant amongst you might have spotted that some of the packages are missing the 40 pin extender. I'm just waiting for a new batch to arrive. Hopefully they'll be here early next week.

After this batch is sold, I've got another batch that has been built, but still needs to be packaged up with the extras. Those will also be put up for sale, but once they're gone, that'll probably be me done with them. Mission accomplished from my point of view. I now have a couple of spares in the event that my original fails! Next project is probably an easier one. I want to build a number of SCSI host adaptors to use with a batch of Fujitsu 256 byte sector compliant SCSI drives that I have lying around.
20190721_150828.jpg
Integra-B boards ready to ship

tucker

Post by tucker » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi

I’m a bit late to the thread and just restored an old beeb I used back in the 80s then recently had donated from a friends attic find. It will go nicely with my maxed out master!

Now in process of accessorising. Wondering if there is any possibility of getting one of these? Long shot I know but no harm asking .... hoping ...

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi tucker,

I've still got a few left. If you're still interested, lets take it to PM, where we can sort out payment and delivery details.

Also, just double checking that it's a BBC B that you're wanting to install this into and not a Master?

simply_graham

Post by simply_graham » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi Ken

I'd like a board please, if you just have the PCB, and kit of parts happy to put together myself, as I'd use all Turned Pin sockets throughout (
Also save's you some soldering ..
I did try to PM you, but not sure I'm allowed, only Just joined the board, having purchased a working Beeb on fleabay .. Oh and its not arrived yet so may need to converse with you in regard placement of power connectors if board already built.
BR
Graham

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi Graham

Welcome to StarDot :D

You may wish to say hello in the introduce yourself section.

Private messages (PMs) are disabled for new members at first. However you can ask for PMs to be enabled by using the Contact us link (envelope icon) at the bottom of every page. This sends a message to the admin’s who will consider your request.

Mark

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:37 am

simply_graham wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:25 pm
Hi Ken

I'd like a board please, if you just have the PCB, and kit of parts happy to put together myself, as I'd use all Turned Pin sockets throughout (
Also save's you some soldering ..
I did try to PM you, but not sure I'm allowed, only Just joined the board, having purchased a working Beeb on fleabay .. Oh and its not arrived yet so may need to converse with you in regard placement of power connectors if board already built.
BR
Graham
Hi Graham

Welcome to Stardot, and congrats on the new beeb!

Unfortunately, I don't have any bare PCBs left. All I've got left now are pre-built boards. I'll drop you a PM shortly (you should still be able to receive PMs) with alternative contact details.

As an aside, when I built the first couple of boards, I also used turned pin sockets throughout. However, I noticed that some of the narrow 20 pin sockets didn't make a particularly good contact with the chips causing all sorts of problems when it came to testing. I'm not sure if I just had a bad batch of turned pin sockets, or if the legs of the ICs were a bit out of tolerance, or if it was a combination of both, but it certainly caused me a number of issues. I therefore decided to solder all dedicated ICs direct onto the board, which resolved all those issues. Please note that there are no such issues with the ROM or processor sockets which are still on the board.

M Sadler

Post by M Sadler » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi Ken
Interested in purchasing on of your IntegraB ram/rom expansion boards. Please send me PM.
Regards Michael

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi Michael.

Thank you for your noted interest in one of my boards.

Unfortunately, I'm currently on holiday, so I wont be able to send you one immediately, but I'll drop you a PM on Monday when I'm back in the UK and we can take it from there.

Thanks
Ken.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:02 am

That's me back in the UK now. I've dropped you a PM, so please review and get back to me when you get a chance.

Thanks
Ken.