Electron MicroSD Card Interfaces (SOLD OUT)

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
ultrasteve

Re: Electron MicroSD Card Interfaces

Post by ultrasteve » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:20 pm

No, I can't reply! Any mods willing to do this for me please?!

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 pm

You should be good to go now Steve...
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ultrasteve

Post by ultrasteve » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:40 pm

Thanks so much!

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:00 pm

mr-macrisc wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:11 pm
Though I'll need to get image onto elk to program it which I am not sure I can do even with a floppy. Hence what sd is for, to easily access downloaded stuff
Whoops, forgot to include the link to the AP6 thread in my earlier post (now corrected) :oops: #-o

The Elk version of UPURS is helpful for transferring files from a PC to an Elk. The lead itself is fairly low cost. You do however need a user port using a 6522 VIA chip on your Elk system... Either Martin’s EUP board, see also here, or Dave’s AP5 or similar.

Mark

Leestewart

Post by Leestewart » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:34 am

Hi,
Please can I have one of these devices?

Can admin please enable PM service also

Thank you

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:58 am

Leestewart wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:34 am
Hi,
Please can I have one of these devices?

Can admin please enable PM service also

Thank you
You can ask for PMs to be enabled by using the Contact us link (envelope icon) at the bottom of every page. This notifies the admin’s.

Mark

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:43 pm

'tis done.

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:46 pm

Just one card left from this batch.
Gary

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:24 pm

All gone. I have parts and PCBs for new boards on the way. The next batch are going to be of a revised design that swaps the eprom for a flash chip and has the MicroSD reader attached to the main board, rather than on a cable.
Gary

kimaq

Post by kimaq » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:04 am

Hi,

Please get me on a waiting list if there's any. I can't PM you yet.

Kind Regards

fandenivoldsk

Post by fandenivoldsk » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Ramtop wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:24 pm
All gone. I have parts and PCBs for new boards on the way. The next batch are going to be of a revised design that swaps the eprom for a flash chip and has the MicroSD reader attached to the main board, rather than on a cable.
Sounds great!

chinnyhill10

Post by chinnyhill10 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:28 pm

Ramtop wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:24 pm
Hah, it was me that snatched the last one from Ebay as I wanted to do a review. Board looks cool and plan to start using and evaluating it in a few days but glad future revisions will sort out the massive long cable for the SD card reader! It did confuse me when I unpacked it!

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:57 am

The long cable was included so the card module could be stuck to the top of the Electron for easy access. But honestly, nobody seems to do that so it's getting removed to save a few pennies :D

Anyway, news on the next batch; I've built a test card to validate the new PCB layout, and it works fine. Hovever, I made an oops with location of the SD header, which results in the card module overhanging the main PCB by a few mm. Not big deal, but a little annoying.

I've said to a few people that the new boards would have no extra functionality over the old ones, but it turns out that may not be entirely correct. Some optimisation has freed up a little space in the CPLD and I've been able to add some verilog code so the interface can access the first 64K of the flash chip as four 16K sideways ROM pages. The first page is occupied by MMFS, but the other three can be flashed with any desired Electron ROM images. This does require an external flash programmer, as the board can't flash the chip in-situ, but those can be had quite cheaply on Ebay for anyone wanting to tinker around. Still testing this feature, but it should make it into the finished cards.
Gary

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:28 pm

New cards available, first post updated.
Gary

kimaq

Re: Electron MicroSD Card Interfaces (now Mk2)

Post by kimaq » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 am

Hi,

As I can't PM you yet but probably can answer to your PM, can you PM me? Or send PAYPAL request?

Kind Regards

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:05 pm

You'll need to ask a moderator to enable PMs for you.
Gary

LordVaderUK

Post by LordVaderUK » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Ramtop wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:53 pm
Hi all,

I've just finished a small batch of Electron MicroSD interfaces. They're designed to be as cheap as possible, no frills at all, just a card interface and MMFS in an eprom flash. It can use MicroSD cards up to 8GB.

10/03 - I'm now shipping the second version of this card, which mounts the MicroSD module directly on the board and uses a flash chip rather than a eprom. It works exactly the same way as the first version, however.

Forum price is £21 each, via PayPal. £2.50 post for the UK, £4.50 for Europe.

Edit: added a pre-made beeb.mmb file with a menu system. I can't find the original thread I got this from, so apologies for not giving credit to whoever wrote the menu code!

UPDATE 12/03 : All cards from this batch sold, however parts and PCBs have been delivered today and I'm in the process of building new cards as fast as possible. Please be aware orders may not ship for a few days as I try to catch up. Demand is outstripping my ability to build cards by a fairly serious margin at the moment.

UPDATE 10/03 : Batch of new Mk2 card available.
UPDATE 01/03 : SOLD OUT
UPDATE 28/02 : 3 cards left 1 card left.
UPDATE 24/02 : Second batch now available.
UPDATE 14/02 : SOLD OUT - next batch due approx 2 weeks.
UPDATE 13/02 : 1 card remaining.
UPDATE 11/02 : I have 3 cards still available.

Hi, sorry I'm too new to be allowed to use PMs...! Do you have any of these left? Interested :)

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 am

I should have some cards available tomorrow.
Gary

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:00 am

More boards available :)

Given the current political situation, I may have to pause deliveries to EU countries on March 20th. If you live in the EU and want to order a board I recommend doing so before that date.
Gary

javierglez

Post by javierglez » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:10 pm

I'm interested in one unit, shipping to Spain.

Apparently I can't send PM.

OK I saw the use "Contact us" advice from 1024K.
Last edited by javierglez on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:27 pm

For any new / recent members, who can’t send Private Messages (PMs):

You can ask for PMs to be enabled by using the Contact us link (envelope icon) at the bottom of every page. This notifies the admin’s.

Mark

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:15 pm

javierglez wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:10 pm
I'm interested in one unit, shipping to Spain.
Once you get access, pop me a PM and I'll sort out a board for you.
Gary

javierglez

Post by javierglez » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:14 pm

So far I'm not getting any feedback from admin

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:11 pm

PMs enabled.
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

waltermixxx

Post by waltermixxx » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:31 pm

board received along with the helpful notes.
Thank you very very much for making this very useful project available to folks. :)

Cheers. :)

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:21 pm

Glad to hear you got the board, Walter. :D
Gary

stuslayer

Re: Electron MicroSD Card Interfaces (SOLD OUT)

Post by stuslayer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:46 pm

Received mine today, thanks! Can't wait to try it out!

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:26 pm

Hope you have fun with it :D

I've been asked by a couple of people about the situation regarding another batch of cards; there will be no more of the Mk2 cards made. They work very well, but they are quite fiddly to build. They also scream 'homebrew' rather loudly, which is something I like but I did get negative comments about.

Good news is there will be more cards, just different ones. For about a month, in parallel with building cards, I've been working on a new design. This one is smaller than the Mk2, goes 100% surface-mount, switches to a full-size SD card, and comes in a 3D-printed case. First small batch of these is probably 2-3 weeks away.

The board works fine, I didn't even have to re-spin the PCB due to routing goofs :D But the case has been giving me fits. Coming up with a design that is robust, not too ugly, prints reliably without lots of imperfections, and can be made in a reasonable time (currently it takes about 7 hours to print one case) has been challenging. I have this looming pile of discarded, broken or failed cases...

Additionally the case optimally has to be slim enough that it and all the protective packaging is no more than 2.5cm tall, or the Royal Mail pumps up the postage cost a good chunk. That would really bite for overseas buyers, and that's important because to my amazement almost 50% of my sales have been outside the UK. Off the top of my head I've sent cards to Canada, Spain, Germany, France, Poland, the Netherlands, Greece, Italy and Denmark.

I think I have a near-final design now, but some durability testing still needs doing.
Gary

stuslayer

Post by stuslayer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:36 pm

Well, I love how my Mk2 looks :D

I had a scary moment when I was plugging the board into my Elk, it is quite tough to push it onto the connector, but I put that down more to my inexperience with the machine than anything else. It works fantastically well for me, been playing on Chuckie Egg with my son for the last hour and a half now...

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:54 pm

Ramtop wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:26 pm
The board works fine, I didn't even have to re-spin the PCB due to routing goofs :D But the case has been giving me fits. Coming up with a design that is robust, not too ugly, prints reliably without lots of imperfections, and can be made in a reasonable time (currently it takes about 7 hours to print one case) has been challenging. I have this looming pile of discarded, broken or failed cases...
Definitely needs tweaking! I can print 4 cases in a day - that's 8 sides!

What are you using for the design? - If not Fusion 360 then I'd give it a go - It's by the same people that do AutoCAD and it's free to use for hobbyists . . .

Printer? Currently using a Kodama Trinus. I have it set up now so I only have to level the bed once a month. Great little printer.

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com