BeebSCSI full size + internal VFS adaptor boards

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
Hywel

Re: BeebSCSI full size + internal VFS adaptor boards

Post by Hywel » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:06 pm

Did I respond in the wrong place? I subscribed to this thread after I responded but cant see my response?

If I did it wrong, still looking for two VFS boards...thank you.

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:09 pm

All good :) - don't worry - if you look at the top you'll see it says confirmed!

d.

Hywel

Post by Hywel » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks!!

rhysjj

Post by rhysjj » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:21 pm

Is there a VFS board still available, please? My Master's at work but I don't think I'd need anything other than the standard connectors. Can check for certain on Tuesday.

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:39 am

Sorry Rhys, all taken I'm afraid :( I'm not intending to make any more for a while after this batch.

d.

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:10 pm

Just a quick note - please please be extra careful to make sure you power these correctly. If you don't it's quite possible you'll fry something - the power pins (labelled JP4 on the board) are GND-5V-GND - if you're using it on the VFS, make sure you've got the power lined up properly and you've not accidentally connected 2 pins by mistake. If you're using it taking 5V from somewhere else (e.g. tube/user port), make sure you're connecting the 5V to the MIDDLE pin.

d.

rhysjj

Post by rhysjj » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:02 pm

danielj wrote:Sorry Rhys, all taken I'm afraid :( I'm not intending to make any more for a while after this batch.
Ah, never mind. Should have got in there earlier. I'd happily join a waiting list for the next batch of VFS ROMs, no matter how long they may take to materialise.

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:08 am

VFS boards are just being finished up (need to make up power cables) - could all people in batch 2 please send me their addresses by PM as I'll start putting boxes together? I'll also start calculating shipping - there are a few overseas in this batch.

d.

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:55 pm

BeebSCSI board is working great.....

I could quite possibly be the first person to play TAU CETI on a beeb !! :lol:
IMG_3364a.jpg

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:54 pm

What is the current availability of these VFS adaptor boards please? And do they work with the "mini" board? And all types of Acorn SCSI interface connector on the Master motherboard?

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:59 pm

BeebMaster wrote:What is the current availability of these VFS adaptor boards please? And do they work with the "mini" board? And all types of Acorn SCSI interface connector on the Master motherboard?
Yes and yes to the latter question, but unfortunately they're all accounted for (for the former question). I'm not really minded to make another batch at the moment :( - if you're around at Wakefield I can give you a demo?

d.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:20 am

Yes, that would be good. It looks like BeebSCSI isn't going to be the solution I may have hoped to the backing-up-old-Winnie-to-flash problem. There's nothing in the documentation that seems to suggest it can be daisy chained to a real Winchester drive, although I haven't tried owt yet as I am out of spare memory cards with a handful on the way.

Plan B was to use it in the Master internal SCSI board and do the copy via VFS calls.

simoni

Post by simoni » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:04 pm

There's nothing in the documentation that seems to suggest it can be daisy chained to a real Winchester drive
That's not a limitation of BeebSCSI; it's a limitation of ADFS which supports multiple LUNs, but only one target controller.

If you have an AIV SCSI board - you could simply connect your Winchester to the internal bus and access it using read-only VFS. This would allow you to simply copy the drive over to BeebSCSI; problem solved no?

You can't connect a laserdisc player to ADFS as the DMA rate is too fast; but connecting a hard drive to VFS works - it's just slower access time due to the reduced performance of VFS DMA. I'm sure I explained all of this in another thread somewhere on *., but I can't remember where :)

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:09 pm

Just to say, all of these are built and tested - I'm just making up cables etc. I aim to get everything packaged this week, but I'm prioritising the ones being picked up at Wakefield, so they'll go out early next week all things being equal. If you haven't sent me your address, please do! Also, please can you let me know if you need any 34-way cables (£2.50), and whether these are for internal connection between the VFS/BeebSCSI or need to be longer.

d.

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:05 pm

Just a word to everyone who's bought a VFS board - PLEASE PLEASE make sure you connect the VFS board to the master the right way around (the IDC connector FACING TOWARDS the motherboard of the master, and the "this edge back..." towards the back.. If you don't you end up feeding -5V to nRST on the CPLD, and 5V to one of the data pins, and I don't think it likes that 10V across its pins....

d.

stelmo

Post by stelmo » Wed May 30, 2018 2:16 pm

simoni wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:40 pm

If you want to boot Domesday - well that's possible if you have access to the VFS images
Simon
Do the vfs images exist anywhere or was that a hyperthetical solution?

simoni

Post by simoni » Thu May 31, 2018 4:16 am

Do the vfs images exist anywhere or was that a hyperthetical solution?
Right now they are not 'generally' available due to copyright and the BBC. If you have a Domesday system (and the discs) it is possible to make a copy though. There are images of the VFS partitions floating around due to the CAMiLEON project making a backup of the data ages ago. It's a little academic to boot it though, as there would be no video/sound.

I have published a 'proof of concept' application called VP415emu though (it's on my github) - it runs on a PC and is connected to BeebSCSI via serial; basically you give it the video and sound (as a video file) and it emulates the multimedia functions of the VP415. On the Domesday86 project youtube channel there are videos of the system successfully booting a usable Domesday application this way :)

Personally I don't see the data partitions (or the CAMiLEON projects approach) as a viable or useful route to preservation - as part of the Domesday86 project I'm taking an entirely different (and superior) approach to backing up the LaserDiscs. You can read about it on the Domesday86 website (The Domesday Duplicator).

Edit: Here's the video I was referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhliQ5scHzY