BeebSCSI full size + internal VFS adaptor boards

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
simoni

Re: BeebSCSI full size + internal VFS adaptor boards

Post by simoni » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:40 pm

Ottly - The VFS adapter allows BeebSCSI to emulate the SCSI functionality of a Philips VP415 laserdisc player (just the SCSI part - not the video). In this configuration you get 8 read-only LUNs. Note that the read-only bit is due to VFS not supporting writing... BeebSCSI does... so, if some enterprising individual patched ADFS for the internal Master bus, you could use BeebSCSI as 8 hard drives without having to tie up the 1MHz external bus port.

If you want to boot Domesday - well that's possible if you have access to the VFS images from the laserdiscs. I've even published an experimental video emulator on github that provides the video part (you connect the BeebSCSI to the PC running the emulator using a serial to USB adapter).

Generally, BeebSCSI is used on the external 1 MHz bus, where it provides you with SCSI-1 hard drive emulation (and acts just like the original Acorn Winchesters) - but using a FAT formatted SD card. The images on the SD card are also compatible with BeebEM - you can simply copy them to your PC and boot the same LUNs in BeebEm, add stuff to them, and then copy them back for use in a real machine. No need to use dd or image writers as it's all FAT. It's also 3x the speed of IDE solutions and works with the original unpatched Acorn ADFS.

BeebSCSI is completely open-source and open-hardware - everything (I hope!) is well documented...

The following link takes you to the overview page:

https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=689

and there you will find links to:

BeebSCSI User Guide
BeebSCSI Utilities ROM
BeebSCSI Technical Guide
BeebSCSI Hardware Guide
BeebSCSI Source Code Guide

/Simon

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Can I just ask people who've requested male and female vfs adapters to please, please, please double check that they really need both? I'd like to make sure that everyone who wants one of these can get one.

d.

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:58 pm

I've got the standard blue/white connector so just need the male header on the adapter board...

alienkidmj12

Post by alienkidmj12 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:16 pm

I will need to check tonight, when I get home

dave

alienkidmj12

Post by alienkidmj12 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:01 pm

ive got the white and blue female header so need male plug i think

dave

iainjh

Post by iainjh » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Hi Daniel, does the VFS board basically allow me to run my beebscsi internally in my master?

if so I'd like to [pre order from next run] 1 x vfs board please. I'll check will update this post later as to the connector, thanks!

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:20 pm

OK, excellent - Alienkid - can I confirm that you just need the one?

Iain -> It will let it emulate the VFS internally (i.e. the RO filesystem from the LV-ROM). If you wanted to use it as ADFS you'd have to hack the addresses in ADFS to use the internal port. No one's done this to date, but there's no reason why you couldn't!

Boydie

Post by Boydie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:47 pm

My board has a row of pins.

paulv

Post by paulv » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:04 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure which connector is in my Master and it's currently buried at the back of the room seeing as Tracie has cleared out the other bedroom and put all her art materials in boxes on top of all my boxes.

From memory, I think it's the locking ribbon type so we'll go with whatever is needed for that :)

Paul

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Okeycokey - well, we'll have time to change things if necessary. I'm going to order the parts for round 1.

Just to note - people will need a ribbon cable to connect the beebscsi either to the 1MHz bus port, or the VFS board. I can do these for £2.50 if you want one.

Packing materials I'm working on but I think it should come to about £1.50 with ESD bags/boxes - if someone knows of good boxes for small PCB shipping ,let me know (they'll need about 70x100x30 at a guess...)! Postage will be whatever it costs for whatever you want :) I'll give options once I've weighed a packed one.

What have I done... :?

d.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:56 am

Daniel . . . I use these people. They also do the white versions. Aim for a max thickness of 25mm (large letter)

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

alienkidmj12

Post by alienkidmj12 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:54 am

danielj wrote:OK, excellent - Alienkid - can I confirm that you just need the one?

Iain -> It will let it emulate the VFS internally (i.e. the RO filesystem from the LV-ROM). If you wanted to use it as ADFS you'd have to hack the addresses in ADFS to use the internal port. No one's done this to date, but there's no reason why you couldn't!
one will do yeah, I can make my own ribbon cables as I have the tools. so I can connect to either vfs or 1mhz, would this work with the datacentre addon, I'm looking to get another master for this anyway, I'm just wondering for testing purposes, I can easily unplug the datacentre addon :)

dave

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:41 am

It should work fine with the DC though - you just won't be able to use the DC IDE hard disk as that needs a patched ADFS. You can build a cable with two plugs and just daisy-chain the devices off the 1MHz bus. You'll want to take the terminating resistors out of whatever's halfway along the cable though.

Another option - if you get a gotek floppy emulator and install flashfloppy firmware on it for freebies, especially with a Master, you can get away without needing a datacentre quite happily.

Also worth noting you'll need to take 5V from somewhere - entirely up to you where, but there's no voltage on the 1MHz bus. I'll post some more detail once I've got some of these made.

d.

alienkidmj12

Post by alienkidmj12 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:44 am

my understanding of termination is it needs to be on the last device on the cable to prevent signal reflection ? ive an hxc in the a3000, I have a 5.25 for master. I can swap around things if need be.

dave

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:48 am

Yup - resistors on the last thing in the chain :)

d.

z0m8ied0g

Post by z0m8ied0g » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm currently down for a single VFS can I have 2 please.
1 x Male, 1 x Female

Cheers

Stephen
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Done, I didn't see you'd changed your post.

iainjh

Post by iainjh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:43 am

ok i misunderstood. Not for me ten, ta :)

thanks!

danielj wrote:OK, excellent - Alienkid - can I confirm that you just need the one?

flibble

Post by flibble » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:14 am

danielj wrote:ust to note - people will need a ribbon cable to connect the beebscsi either to the 1MHz bus port, or the VFS board. I can do these for £2.50 if you want one.
Can I add one of these cables to my order too, for between vfs board and beebscsi.

What have I done... :?
Never volunteer for anything, ever :lol:

alienkidmj12

Post by alienkidmj12 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:35 am

when are we likely to get our hands on these beautiful products :)

regards

dave

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:42 am

When I've built them and asked for payment :) I don't even have the parts yet!

alienkidmj12

Post by alienkidmj12 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:56 pm

made in UK stamps would be good :)

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:24 pm

I'll write made in Manchester on it with a Sharpie.

alienkidmj12

Post by alienkidmj12 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:05 pm

I'm at Piccadilly on Wednesday, maybe I could collect if its all hunky dorey :)

dave :)

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:45 pm

[-X They will be ready when they're ready. It is a lot of soldering. I probably won't have time to get started this weekend.

d.

bear

Post by bear » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:36 pm

danielj, I saw in the other thread that there will be no more minis, so it looks like I missed out on that. A full size would do me fine as well; last status I spotted on this thread is there are still 6 up to claim? If that's still true (and if you're ok to mail it to me in the States), put me down for one please. Thanks!

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:04 pm

Absolutely - you're on the list! :) The boards for the second batch haven't appeared yet, so it may be a little while.

d.

Edit: Teasey
DSC_3303.JPG

ask_nz

Post by ask_nz » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:27 am

Hi Daniel, Can you put me down for another beebScsi (total 2) please?

Cheers

Ade
Ade

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:23 am

Done - I've also had to up the cost of the VFS boards by 50p - but they now include a power cable!

ask_nz

Post by ask_nz » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:27 pm

:D thanks
Ade