P.M.F. Barcode Reader

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
kieranhj

P.M.F. Barcode Reader

Post by kieranhj » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:17 pm

Hey all,

When I bought my Master it came with a barcode reader by a company called P.M.F. that connects to the user port. I have no idea if this works or not but seems to be a bit of an oddity. It comes with a ROM for the software. Before I put this on eBay is anyone here interested for the cost of postage? I am blatently not going to use it so would rather it went to a fellow *. member.

Cheers,
Kieran

Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

MartinB

Re: P.M.F. Barcode Reader

Post by MartinB » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:35 pm

It's one of the few Beeb gadgets I've never played with so yes, I'll take it off you if that's ok.....?

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:48 pm

Sure. PM me your address and bundle up to send this week.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks, will do.. 8)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:41 pm

These are good fun. Using the supplied software the master can read the barcode on a tin of baked beans! :lol:
- John

leenew

Post by leenew » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:27 pm

I had one of these, and I found it absolutely awful!
I don't know if it was faulty or not, but you had to maintain a perfectly constant speed across the barcode. The barcode had to be on a perfectly flat surface, and if you were lucky it would register it once every 20 tries :roll:

Lee.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:56 pm

leenew wrote:I had one of these, and I found it absolutely awful!
I don't know if it was faulty or not, but you had to maintain a perfectly constant speed across the barcode. The barcode had to be on a perfectly flat surface, and if you were lucky it would register it once every 20 tries :roll:

Lee.
Bit like some of the automated checkouts in stores these days :lol:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:19 am

I've just bought one of these barcode readers, mainly because I've always wanted to test it out with the code printed in the back of Bruce Smith's BBC Micro ROM Book.............
s-l1600.jpg
Bar Code Reader Project - Cassette version
However, as you can see, the particular version of this kit that I've been able to find has the software on cassette tape, and I don't have a cassette player these days. I decided to draw a line at using old tapes, having had more than my fill of hassle with them BITD.

I'm just wondering whether anyone out there has the disc version of this software? A ROM version is also mentioned in the original post on this thread. I've hunted around the net, but I've not been able to find any archived copies of this software online. I did find a circuit diagram for the barcode reader itself, however, which may be of interest to someone - https://acorn.huininga.nl/pub/docs/circ ... 20Project/

If anyone out there has an SSD or a ROM image of the bar code reader project software that they could share, then I'd be very grateful. Otherwise, I'll just have to cross my self-imposed line, and buy a cassette player, sigh :roll: It's funny how one purchase leads to another in this retro computer hobby......

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:44 am

lcww1 wrote:A ROM version is also mentioned in the original post on this thread.
I did have a play with this after Kieran sent it to me and although I can't rememeber how I drove it software-wise (I've slept since... :roll:), I think I must have the used the rom so I'll endeavour to dig it out and make an image. If I can find it reasonably quickly tonight then I'll post it later but if not, it may have to wait until next week.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Many thanks Martin, much obliged! :D

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:04 pm

^ If you like (or if diff from Martins 'driver') you could throw just the tape in a flat box, 2nd 60p stamp and post to me so can archive it :wink:

Then I can throw out back window when done :lol:
ImageImageImage

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:53 pm

Try this. :wink:

Edit:
Disk image updated to run from the $ directory using Shift-Break. Thanks for pointing out the error, billcarr2005. :oops:

TITLE further modified to work with BBC Master computer rather than the BBC Micro only.
Attachments
Barcode Reader.zip
(59.33 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Last edited by flaxcottage on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- John

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:36 pm

flaxcottage wrote:Try this. :wink:

Code: Select all

*DIR D
CHAIN"TITLE"

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:34 pm

flaxcottage wrote:Try this. :wink:
Thanks a lot for this John! Most grateful!
CMcDougall wrote:^ If you like (or if diff from Martins 'driver') you could throw just the tape in a flat box, 2nd 60p stamp and post to me so can archive it :wink:

Then I can throw out back window when done :lol:
Thanks for the offer! I’ll send you the tape for archiving, if I may? I won’t be able to check if it differs from the SSD tho’, but perhaps it ought to be archived for posterity anyhow? :)

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes it would be good to see if any differences from disc version, so PM on way soon. (So can scan more than tinned beans John :lol: )

As LP tapes had more remixes as could do 100mins, & CDs where only 70mins, now 80mins.
ImageImageImage

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:35 pm

I wrote:I'll endeavour to dig it out and make an image. If I can find it reasonably quickly tonight then I'll post it later...
Here you go, courtesy of 10 seconds with UPURS..... :D

"Barcode Support ROM Version 0.1 (C) Mike Ginns 1987"
barcode.zip
(4.49 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Note that I dumped it as a 16k rom (the physical device I have is a 27128) and that image is attached but on inspection, I can see that it is actually only an 8k rom and so the attached image could be split in two and programmed into a 2764 or similar 8k x 8 device.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Fantastic! Many thanks Martin - that’s very much appreciated :) I’ll compare and contrast the disc and ROM versions of the bar code software.....

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:22 pm

I've now had a chance to try this barcode reader, and it's been a mixed experience!

For some reason, I've had a lot of trouble getting the files from the SSD onto my HxC Gotek (the SSD works fine in BeebEm, and looks fine in DFS Explorer, but the files are corrupted on the Gotek). In the end, I put the SSD on my (working) A5000, then used !BeebArc to extract the program files. I was then able to load the files from the A5000 onto my Beeb via Econet. I did try copying the files over to disc, but I ended up with errors when using TreeCopy, CopyFiles, and even just loading and saving individual files directly. Anyhow, the programs all run fine across the Econet. I suspect the programs on the supplied cassette will be identical to those on the SSD, but I've sent the cassette to Col for archiving, just in case.
barcodedecoding.jpg
Barcode decoding on the Beeb
So, I found that the Decode, Picture, and Music programs all work quite well. The BCBASIC program, however, was much as Lee described his experience above, and I've not found any tins of beans that scan successfully with the EAN program, alas! So, I don't think I'm going to get very far with the ROM Book code, but there's still some potential for fun with this device.

Lastly, I've been able to load MartinB's PMF Barcode Support ROM into SWRAM (after chopping the file in two, as per Martin's advice) - this looks quite interesting, but it's purpose is somewhat mysterious to me as this ROM isn't described in the Bar Code Project documentation that I have. The ROM *GRAPH command shows the barcode reader output on a nice chart, but the usage for the other commands isn't obvious - it's also hard to know whether one isn't using the ROM commands correctly, or the reader is just being flaky! I've attached an 8k version of the ROM, just on the off chance that this will be helpful to someone....
barcode8k.zip
8k PMF Barcode Support ROM for loading into SWRAM etc
(4.98 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Thanks again to everyone for the help in getting up and running with the barcode scanner :D
Last edited by lcww1 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:02 pm

lcww1 wrote: and I've not found any tins of beans that scan successfully with the EAN program, alas! :D
Strange that. I found the EAN software to be very robust when run from floppy disk on my Master. It read all barcodes I threw at it.

It does only read the number, though. :wink:
- John

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:51 am

lcww1 wrote:sent the cassette to Col for archiving, just in case
put it over here : viewtopic.php?f=32&p=199682#p199682
& you guessed right, it's same as SSD, but why did they put it backwards, ie TITLE & MENU at end of tape... #-o
ImageImageImage

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:10 pm

Many thanks for this Col - nice work!
As an aside, I have now successfully scanned one barcode with the EAN program - a box of Sony DD 3.5” discs! Woo hoo! :D