GONE: 30 Hour Basic and Basic Programming on the BBC Microcomputer

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces. You can refer to a Buy-It-Now item if you're also making it available direct to forum users.
NJ_

GONE: 30 Hour Basic and Basic Programming on the BBC Microcomputer

Post by NJ_ »

30 Hour Basic and Basic Programming on the BBC Microcomputer - two classic and popular books which most of you probably already have! However if there's anyone who would like them, please get in touch. There are a few annotations written in pencil in the 30 Hour Basic book and the name of the previous owner is inside the Basic Programming book.

Preference given to anyone who wants both.

IMG_2039.jpeg
IMG_2034.jpeg
Last edited by NJ_ on Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbredcar

Re: FREE books: 30 Hour Basic and Basic Programming on the BBC Microcomputer

Post by jbredcar »

Hi there

I’d love them both if that’s okay?

Many thanks

John
System 1, Cambridge Workstation, FileStore, Electron & Plus 1 + 3, BBC B, BBC Master + Domesday, BBC Master Compact, A3000, A3010, A3020, A310, A410/1, A420/1, A440/1, A4000, A5000, A4, RiscPC, A7000, A7000+, Ionix, RISCstation 7500
jwhat

Post by jwhat »

Just in case it doesn't work out with John...

My son (10) is teaching himself BASIC on my old BBC. I've been looking out for books like these for him. I'm sure he'd be delighted to use them. I can cover postage costs.

(but John was first in the queue so I don't expect you to say yes unless you still need to find them a home)

Thanks,

James
NJ_

Post by NJ_ »

PM sent to John yesterday morning but I have yet to hear back from him.

John - please let me know if you still want them.

James - what an excellent idea to use BBC BASIC running on a proper 8-bit machine to teach your son to program. Even today it's still a great place to start and the fundamentals he learns will be transferrable to the modern platforms.
jbredcar

Post by jbredcar »

Apologies for the delay. We are moving house so it’s all a bit mad!

Whilst I’d love the books, it sounds like they’d be going to a great home with James’ son, so I’m very happy for him to have them instead.

John
System 1, Cambridge Workstation, FileStore, Electron & Plus 1 + 3, BBC B, BBC Master + Domesday, BBC Master Compact, A3000, A3010, A3020, A310, A410/1, A420/1, A440/1, A4000, A5000, A4, RiscPC, A7000, A7000+, Ionix, RISCstation 7500
NJ_

Post by NJ_ »

That's very kind of you John. James, I'll send you a PM.
jwhat

Post by jwhat »

Thank you both — that’s very kind.

I can’t send PMs so have sent an email to the same address as your PayPal account. If it doesn’t reach you then let me know and I’ll find another way to make contact.

Thanks again,

James
NJ_

Re: GONE: 30 Hour Basic and Basic Programming on the BBC Microcomputer

Post by NJ_ »

Now on their way to James.
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

Hi James,

It’s great to hear your son is teaching himself basic. I’ve recently been doing the same and have found this book to be excellent. The exercises throughout the sections have been really good and make it possible to easily build upon them.

It’s readily available for reasonably sensible prices on eBay the last time I looked should someone not have a spare copy.

Regards - Rob
6BD6B55E-9EB6-47B9-877B-5E2DD8DBA1F9.jpeg
jwhat

Post by jwhat »

Thanks, Rob -- I'll have a look.

I have fond memories of a BASIC book from my childhood that had a 'function key organ' program (which I think did a series of *KEY command so that each one would play a different note). It also had a section where you drew a rocket on graph paper and then figured out the BBC Micro coordinates. I'd love to find that one again but I have no idea what it was called. I think it was a larger format book -- maybe A4 size and not that thick. My parents must have bought it for me but I haven't seen it since!

Thanks again for the recommendation.

James
jwhat

Post by jwhat »

Books safely received. Thank you!

Return to “for sale / freebies”