FS: Raspberry Pi to 1MHz and Tube bus interfaces

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces. You can refer to a Buy-It-Now item if you're also making it available direct to forum users.
KenLowe

Re: FS: Raspberry Pi to 1MHz and Tube bus interfaces

Post by KenLowe »

geekdot wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:41 am
KenLowe wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:07 am
Hi Axel. I'll send you a PM shortly with alternative contact details.
Hi Ken, thanks for answering... which I can't (as for PMs) :roll: Pretty strickt anti-SPAM rules in here :wink:
Shipping would be to Germany - payment method is fine to me, address follows as soon as I reached the status of a "bipedal mammal"...

Cheers, Axel
Yes, you need at least 25 posts before you can send PMs. Either that or ask the admins nicely via the 'Contact us' button at the bottom of the page.
dhoggan

Post by dhoggan »

Just received my Pi Zeros from AliExpress today and just finished soldering the 40 pin GPIO connector on to them. Copied the PiTubeDirect software onto the SD card, stuck it all together and put on my Issue 4 which has the TurboMMC ROM in it (which someone said here somewhere that that has the DNFS image on it). Powered up the Beeb and it blow me down, it worked first time!!!

Tested by running my After Dark screensaver program. Maze (or Snake if you remember the After Dark screensaver) takes about 150 seconds to generate on a stock Beeb under COMAL and about 1.5 secs on a my RetroClinic Pi co-pro. This level shifter and the Pi zero came in a 1.5 secs as well so definitely working. Plus, it also gives a really cool green glow under the Beeb too :-)

Haven't tested the 1Mhz level shifter yet as I've run out of playtime for today.

Many thanks for making these available - they're so utterly convenient. In fact, do you still have some left as I've could use one more?

Dave
Model B Issue 7 - Dual Gotek/5.25"; IFEL Sideways board; RetroClinic Co-Pro; VideoNuLA
Master 128K - Gotek; RetroClinic Co-Pro, CF HDD & DualOS

Main interest: BBC computer languages
dp11

Post by dp11 »

The next software release is alpha testing and gives even more performance and features. Have a look at the other thread. More testing the better.
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

dhoggan wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:57 pm
In fact, do you still have some left as I've could use one more?
Yes, I do still have stock available. I'll send you a PM.
dp11 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:32 pm
The next software release is alpha testing and gives even more performance and features. Have a look at the other thread. More testing the better.
This thread here: viewtopic.php?p=333226#p333226
BlondMM

Post by BlondMM »

Ken, do you think it is possible to make some clearance for HDMI output while maintaining the under keyboard position? Maybe by using a mini HDMI left angled flatcable or by flipping the Pi Zero header in a weird way... :?

Besides the obvious viewing reason I would also love to listen to the Music 5000 emulator in full stereo.
Acorn BBC Micro Model B (Issue 7)
 • 65C02 Solidisk Twomeg 128K, WD1772, dual 5¼" DSDD 40/80, Hybrid Music 5000 & 4000
 • 6502 IFEL RAM/ROM B4, GoMMC, TMS6100 Emulator, Pi1MHz, PiTubeDirect, RGBtoHDMI
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

BlondMM wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:13 am
Ken, do you think it is possible to make some clearance for HDMI output while maintaining the under keyboard position? Maybe by using a mini HDMI left angled flatcable or by flipping the Pi Zero header in a weird way... :?

Besides the obvious viewing reason I would also love to listen to the Music 5000 emulator in full stereo.
The simplest thing to do would be to replace the standard 40 pin IDC socket that the RPi plugs into with a slightly taller version so that when plugging the RPi into the level shifter, the HDMI socket (and audio socket for) sits clear of the well. The feet on the underside of the beeb are fairly deep, so there should be enough clearance on the underside of the beeb for this. I've got a small stock of taller 40 pin sockets for the Econet bridge project that I could experiment with. I'll try that at some point over the weekend, and report back.
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

Here's what it looks like with a slightly taller 40 pin socket. The moulding around the mini HDMI connector that I'm using is slightly too fat, causing the RPi Zero to be tilted at a slight angle, and the beeb is sitting on the cable instead of the foot at this corner. If I could source an HDMI cable with a thinner moulding at the mini connector end it would probably work fine.
20210918_104239.jpg
20210918_103030.jpg
20210918_102501.jpg
20210918_102334.jpg
BlondMM wrote:
Oh, and the RPi Zero (W) doesn't have an audio jack, so this won't help with that!
BlondMM

Post by BlondMM »

KenLowe wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:27 am
I'll try that at some point over the weekend, and report back.
Hehe, the right idea just pops up the very same day. Thanks for the pics, maybe I don't have to resolder. 8)
KenLowe wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:46 am
BlondMM wrote:
Oh, and the RPi Zero (W) doesn't have an audio jack, so this won't help with that!
My Dell monitor has an analog out, so I can redirect the HDMI audio seperately. That is I assumed audio on the Pi Zero is available this way.
 • 65C02 Solidisk Twomeg 128K, WD1772, dual 5¼" DSDD 40/80, Hybrid Music 5000 & 4000
 • 6502 IFEL RAM/ROM B4, GoMMC, TMS6100 Emulator, Pi1MHz, PiTubeDirect, RGBtoHDMI
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

BlondMM wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:47 pm
That is I assumed audio on the Pi Zero is available this way.
Sorry, there is no audio over HDMI from Pi 1MHz.
BlondMM

Post by BlondMM »

Also I was looking for some kind of backplate for the Pi Zero, so the contacts are protected. Now raising the Pi with an extra header it would be possible to use something like a small Adafruit case thanks to the extra clearance.
BlondMM

Post by BlondMM »

hoglet wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:11 pm
BlondMM wrote:
Me looking flabbergasted. :shock:

Because there's no support in the 1MHz emulator or the Zero is too sloooowww? I mean: https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... io-outputs
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

KenLowe wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:46 am
If I could source an HDMI cable with a thinner moulding at the mini connector end it would probably work fine.
Ordered a different cable from Amazon, which arrived same day!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08R9ZD3N6/ ... 11_TE_dp_1

This one fits better. It still causes the RPi to sit at a slight angle, but the Beeb now sits on its feet instead of the cable moulding.

Edit: It's actually fitting quite nicely, and I don't think the RPi is actually sitting at an angle:
RPi with extended header and mini HDMI cable attached
RPi with extended header and mini HDMI cable attached
Last edited by KenLowe on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

BlondMM wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:13 pm
Also I was looking for some kind of backplate for the Pi Zero, so the contacts are protected. Now raising the Pi with an extra header it would be possible to use something like a small Adafruit case thanks to the extra clearance.
If using a taller 40 pin socket, I don't think there would enough room to fit a case without the case sitting on the desk, and lifting the beeb off it's feet - basically the same problem I was having with the mini HDMI connector moulding being marginally too fat.
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

BlondMM wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:14 pm
hoglet wrote:
BlondMM wrote:
Me looking flabbergasted. :shock:

Because there's no support in the 1MHz emulator or the Zero is too sloooowww? I mean: https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... io-outputs
The 1MHz level shifter basically has one channel of those circuits built into the board, and that is connected to the Audio pin on the 1MHz port.
BlondMM

Post by BlondMM »

Cheers Ken, nice job!
KenLowe wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:29 pm
BlondMM wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:13 pm
If using a taller 40 pin socket, I don't think there would enough room to fit a case without the case sitting on the desk, and lifting the beeb off it's feet - basically the same problem I was having with the mini HDMI connector moulding being marginally too fat.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3252

It will be a tight fit, but two bottom halves next to each other with some trimming (and/or glueing) of the touching sides may do the trick. :lol:
BlondMM

Post by BlondMM »

hoglet wrote:
BlondMM wrote:
Something like raspi-config would not be possible to implement as a cmdline.txt parameter (enable HDMI audio out)?

Code: Select all

M5000_BeebAudio_Off=2
dp11

Post by dp11 »

I'm open to pull requests.
FluffyGarth

Post by FluffyGarth »

Dear Ken,
Apologies, I realise this is quite an old thread, but I am new to these forums. I would like to purchase both the 1mhz port and tube port level shifters, and with option to power the 1mhz board from the tube one. Is it still possible to buy these boards?

Best wishes,
Stuart
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

FluffyGarth wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:57 pm
Dear Ken,
Apologies, I realise this is quite an old thread, but I am new to these forums. I would like to purchase both the 1mhz port and tube port level shifters, and with option to power the 1mhz board from the tube one. Is it still possible to buy these boards?

Best wishes,
Stuart
Hi Stuart,

Yes, both are still available. I'll send you a PM shortly. You won't be able to reply because you don't have enough posts, but I'll give you alternative contact details.
BlondMM

Post by BlondMM »

BlondMM wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:55 am
Something like raspi-config would not be possible to implement as a cmdline.txt parameter (enable HDMI audio out)?

M5000_BeebAudio_Off=2
dp11 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:21 am
I'm open to pull requests.
Yeah, about that on GitHub. I cannot get that button to lighten up to create any request whatsoever (even when logged in). :cry:
Does a polite 'make it so' also suffice? :wink:
sweh

Post by sweh »

BlondMM wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:27 pm
Yeah, about that on GitHub. I cannot get that button to lighten up to create any request whatsoever (even when logged in). :cry:
Sorry if this is something you already know, but just in case...

Typically with GitHub to create a PR you need to fork the repo to your account. Then you clone _your_ copy of the code to your local machine, make the changes you want, commit the changes, push the changes back to GitHub. Now you can create a PR from your copy of the code to the original repo.

I dunno what your GitHub login is, so I dunno if any of these are you:

@dp111
   @andydvsn
   @dominicbeesley
   @hoglet67
       @z0m8ied0g
   @IanSB
   @moneytech
   @mooncresta
Rgds
Stephen
DocBanzai

Post by DocBanzai »

Hi Ken,
I’m very interested in getting a 1mhz bus Remote & Female / Female Ribbon Cable set. Don’t need tube as I already have one.
I can’t send pm’s yet so is there any chance you could contact me please?
Kindest regards,
Matt.
Master 128 with Internal PiTube Direct, Multi OS, Turbo MMC, Gotek, RAM/ROM Cartridge, Midwich (Misubishi) 5 1/4" FDD and soon a BeebSCSI.
#-o Oh, how I wish I'd kept that Osborne One/Epson/Pet/Amiga/ST/Z88/ZX81/Speccy/Mattel/BBC B #-o
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

DocBanzai wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:17 am
Hi Ken,
I’m very interested in getting a 1mhz bus Remote & Female / Female Ribbon Cable set. Don’t need tube as I already have one.
I can’t send pm’s yet so is there any chance you could contact me please?
Kindest regards,
Matt.
I can do that. I'll drop you a PM with alternative contact details shortly.
DocBanzai

Post by DocBanzai »

Hi Ken,
Got your PM but can't reply to it lol. Sorry about that, one day I'll be a grownup on the board and be able to send PM's :D I have asked the admins but no joy.
Anyway, I absolutely do want to buy one of these and (I know its cheeky) is there any chance you could hold on to the bits I need until tuesday week when I get paid? I guarantee and promise faithfully that I'll payup immediately then and you can send it at you leisure after that.
I just bought a case from Ukwebb for my RAM/ROM cartrdige and that cleaned me out until payday.
Again I know its a cheeky ask but I'd really appreciate it.
All the best, Matt.
Master 128 with Internal PiTube Direct, Multi OS, Turbo MMC, Gotek, RAM/ROM Cartridge, Midwich (Misubishi) 5 1/4" FDD and soon a BeebSCSI.
#-o Oh, how I wish I'd kept that Osborne One/Epson/Pet/Amiga/ST/Z88/ZX81/Speccy/Mattel/BBC B #-o
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

DocBanzai wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:12 pm
Hi Ken,
Got your PM but can't reply to it lol. Sorry about that, one day I'll be a grownup on the board and be able to send PM's :D I have asked the admins but no joy.
Anyway, I absolutely do want to buy one of these and (I know its cheeky) is there any chance you could hold on to the bits I need until tuesday week when I get paid? I guarantee and promise faithfully that I'll payup immediately then and you can send it at you leisure after that.
I just bought a case from Ukwebb for my RAM/ROM cartrdige and that cleaned me out until payday.
All the best, Matt.
Yes, that's fine. You can email me if you don't want to reply on the forum.
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

DocBanzai wrote:
:shock: :cry:
DocBanzai

Post by DocBanzai »

Lol, no disrespect meant, it was just my last tenner (I'm in a very low paid job).
I've been more than happy with your service mate, it's been fantastic :D :D :D
I might even ask for a case for the BeebSCSI if I get it working.... fingers crossed!
DocBanzai

Post by DocBanzai »

KenLowe wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:20 pm
DocBanzai wrote:
Hi Ken,
All the best, Matt.
Yes, that's fine. You can email me if you don't want to reply on the forum.
Briliant, thanks Ken hugely apprciated. I'll email you (using the address in the PM?) tuesday week. Very excited lol.
All the best, Matt
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

DocBanzai wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:25 pm
Lol, no disrespect meant, it was just my last tenner (I'm in a very low paid job).
I've been more than happy with your service mate, it's been fantastic :D :D :D
I might even ask for a case for the BeebSCSI if I get it working.... fingers crossed!
Lol no worries only kidding :). Ken will look after you I'm sure :).
KroWz

Post by KroWz »

Hi. What a great job. i love the fact people have an interest for this old computer. new tech for old computer...

This new forum user, but old BBC computer user would like one of each too.. If Possible....

Thank you for keeping the BBC alive..

Paul..
Atari Falcon030, STE, STFM, Acorn BBC Master 128 (MMC, MultiROM, PiTube. Real 65C02 Co-Processor, not fitted), Spectrum 48k, ZX81, Plus a myriad of other PCs From Windows 95 and up....

Return to “for sale / freebies”