FS: USB "POST box" adaptors (for debugging Archimedes / Risc PC systems that don't boot)

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
IanJeffray

Re: FS: USB "POST box" adaptors (for debugging Archimedes / Risc PC systems that don't boot)

Post by IanJeffray »

myelin wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:13 am
IanJeffray wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:27 pm
I'm not sure if it's my build, or the code or ... not sure .. but the pixel never displays white, as I think it should to indicate "Idle, no power" - it's always a flashing green in that state, the same as "idle, has power". Connected (but no power)=Cyan and Running=Blue work appear as I think are expected. Could do with updated docs for this :lol:
Okay, so there is one bug that I haven't figured out. When the board is powered from USB but otherwise disconnected, often the green 'target power' LED will light up, and the neopixel flashes green (idle, target powered on). It goes back to normal (green target power LED off, neopixel flashing white) once I actually plug it in to a target though. I haven't taken the time to debug this; presumably some power is feeding back from the USB side via the various pullup resistors.
I've seen the power LED do weird things like that too, but it doesn't bother me.

I have NEVER seen the neopixel display white.

I'm sending out a batch of boards to folks today though... they all appear perfectly functional and reliable, other than these possible LED funnies.
1024MAK

Re: FS: USB "POST box" adaptors (for debugging Archimedes / Risc PC systems that don't boot)

Post by 1024MAK »

Received yesterday, a POSTbox through my letterbox :D

Thanks to Ian and myelin =D>

Mark
myelin

Post by myelin »

Hooray! Ian, can you message me with who you’ve already sent them to (+ serial numbers)? I’ll update the first message in this thread.
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in Mountain View, CA, making Beeb/Elk/Arc hardware projects for fun.
Most interesting: Arcflash, POST Box, Ultimate Electron Upgrade
acp

Post by acp »

Hi there, could I please be added to the waititing list for one of these if the queue's still open?
spanners

Post by spanners »

Hi, Can you remove me from the queue? I'm probably going to start getting rid of my RISC OS junk.
hank yellow

Post by hank yellow »

Could you please also add me to the queue? (If it's still open, that is)
myelin

Post by myelin »

All added/removed :)

I have four v3 boards and the last v2 board ready to go; will email people shortly!
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in Mountain View, CA, making Beeb/Elk/Arc hardware projects for fun.
DaveLecky

Post by DaveLecky »

Hi there,

Could you please add me to the list.

Thanks

Dave
Electron Plus 3 and plus 1, AP6 and Home made MMFS PP SD interface
Electron Plus 1 Pres AP3/4
Beeb issue 7 with IFEL 16 socket Rom/Ram board
Master 128, BooBip multi OS,IFEL SD card
StrongA RPC,
Atom
ScurvyGeek

Post by ScurvyGeek »

I would like to be added to the waiting list, please.
z0m8ied0g

Post by z0m8ied0g »

Please can you add me to the waiting list.

Cheers

Stephen
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net
acorn_fan

Post by acorn_fan »

… and please add me to the list for one too. I’ve a tricky A5000 to crack. Thank you!
wicksee

Post by wicksee »

Could you add me to the queue please. I neeeed one of these!
myelin

Post by myelin »

You are all now on the list :)

(See first post in this thread for details.)
julians

Post by julians »

Would you add me to the queue as well please?
I've a slightly temperamental 440 that refuses to boot every now and then which I'd like to get sorted out at some point.

Julian.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

julians wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:46 pm
I've a slightly temperamental 440 that refuses to boot every now and then which I'd like to get sorted out at some point.
Does it flash a POST code on the floppy when it fails? Such sporadic fails are often the hardest to resolve. The last time I had this kind of issue it came down to a poor connection to the backplane -- the board was insufficiently supported (original plastic supports all missing) and causing intermittent drop-out of the podules. This meant that every time I stripped it down to examine for faults, the fault went away... very annoying!
julians

Post by julians »

IanJeffray wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:05 pm
Does it flash a POST code on the floppy when it fails? Such sporadic fails are often the hardest to resolve. The last time I had this kind of issue it came down to a poor connection to the backplane -- the board was insufficiently supported (original plastic supports all missing) and causing intermittent drop-out of the podules. This meant that every time I stripped it down to examine for faults, the fault went away... very annoying!
No, it just sits there doing nothing.
The odd thing is that it will start up normally, occasionally lock up / crash, then refuse to boot for 15 - 30 minutes, then behave perfectly well.
I'm thinking it's the hard drive but will start a new thread once I've some time to concentrate on it.

Julian.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

julians wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:17 pm
it just sits there doing nothing.
The odd thing is that it will start up normally, occasionally lock up / crash, then refuse to boot for 15 - 30 minutes, then behave perfectly well.
Checked the PSU? The 5V does need to be quite accurate for reliable operation, IME.

If it's a total failure as you describe, a POSTbox won't help you anyway, as it needs the CPU to at least start executing the POST code from ROM before it can do anything.
julians

Post by julians »

IanJeffray wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:22 pm

Checked the PSU? The 5V does need to be quite accurate for reliable operation, IME.

If it's a total failure as you describe, a POSTbox won't help you anyway, as it needs the CPU to at least start executing the POST code from ROM before it can do anything.
I'll check the voltages and see what they look like.

Julian.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Got mine today good sir......

Thank you very much.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
ajsellors

Post by ajsellors »

Hi,

I would like one of the USB "POST box" adapters. If there aren't any in stock, please add me to the wish list.

thanks

Andrew
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

ajsellors wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:07 pm
I would like one of the USB "POST box" adapters. If there aren't any in stock, please add me to the wish list.
I'll probably build another small batch in August - strictly for UK folks (EU customsmare be damned). I'm struggling a bit with people on the list not responding, so offers will now be time-limited and I may just contact people that are more 'active' anyway. They'll be £30 including postage. Stay tuned.

Return to “for sale / freebies”