FS: 16-bit IDE podules

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
IanS

Re: FS: 16-bit IDE podules

Post by IanS »

8271 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:48 pm
I would like one as my Watford IDE Podule is pretty much dead (Doesn't detect anything anymore). I cannot PM as I have been a lurker for too long and not posted too much so far.
Email contact details sent via PM.
IanS

Post by IanS »

Bump, still got 16-bit cards available.
mik

Post by mik »

I'd be very interested in one of these podules. I finally got my A440/1 back in working condition only for the ST506 drive to start dying just afterwards. Looks like I can't PM you, probably because I only just signed up here. If you PM me maybe I can reply, not sure.
IanS

Post by IanS »

mik wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:29 pm
I'd be very interested in one of these podules. I finally got my A440/1 back in working condition only for the ST506 drive to start dying just afterwards. Looks like I can't PM you, probably because I only just signed up here. If you PM me maybe I can reply, not sure.
PM sent with email contact details.
mik

Post by mik »

Thanks Ian. One podule ordered :-)
swileman

Post by swileman »

Hello. Apologies that I don’t post here often (or at all!).
I would like to order one of these with DOM if you still have one available. Thanks, Steve

Edit:
I should have added I have an A310 (was A305). No backplane AFAIK.
IanS

Post by IanS »

swileman wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:59 am
Hello. Apologies that I don’t post here often (or at all!).
I would like to order one of these with DOM if you still have one available. Thanks, Steve

Edit:
I should have added I have an A310 (was A305). No backplane AFAIK.
IanS

Post by IanS »

I've run out of 512MB Disk Modules, so I'm now including a 1GB DOM for the same price of £5, if required.
The DOM will be split into 2 partitions,one 499MB in size, and the other the remining space (~479MB).
NJ_

Post by NJ_ »

I would like one of these, including the DOM, if they are still available please.
IanS

Post by IanS »

NJ_ wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:13 am
I would like one of these, including the DOM, if they are still available please.
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

Hi Ian

I would like one podule with DOM please. I also can’t PM at the moment (too new to the forum).
This will be for my A310 that I am refurbishing.

Thanks
IanS

Post by IanS »

Artemis wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:08 pm
I would like one podule with DOM please. I also can’t PM at the moment (too new to the forum).
This will be for my A310 that I am refurbishing.
nikoskon74

Post by nikoskon74 »

Just wanted to send out a HUGE thanks to IanS for these podules!! :D :D :D :D

Still have a lot to learn in regards to installing apps and games and using RISCOS in general, but being able to add an IDE drive to my A3000 helps heaps!!!

Highly recommend these podules for anyone sitting on the fence about it. And for the price, with the DOM included along with preinstalled apps and such, you can't go wrong.

MASSIVE THANKS to Ian for such a great product!!! :D :D :D :D

P.S. - Ian, i have sent you a PM in regards to one of the podules.

Cheers,
Nick

Edit: Just realised that i posted this in the wrong thread, i bought the 8-bit podule :oops:
Artemis

Post by Artemis »

I second that!

I received my podule today and fitted it, and it is working so well. Plus my A310 is now sooo quiet.

Many thanks IanS. =D> =D>
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Hello Ian, I have an A420/1 which has an old SCSI card and drive. This all still works, but the drive is small and won't last forever. I have a possible option to obtain a new SCSI drive, but would you say that putting in one of your podules would be technically a better option? I'm not conversant with the relative benefits of IDE vs SCSI, but I would imagine that your board would be better. I don't have any other SCSI devices. I do have one half width podule bay free, so I could presumably run both interfaces in parallel to transfer data.
IanS

Post by IanS »

jms2 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:36 pm
Hello Ian, I have an A420/1 which has an old SCSI card and drive. This all still works, but the drive is small and won't last forever. I have a possible option to obtain a new SCSI drive, but would you say that putting in one of your podules would be technically a better option? I'm not conversant with the relative benefits of IDE vs SCSI, but I would imagine that your board would be better. I don't have any other SCSI devices. I do have one half width podule bay free, so I could presumably run both interfaces in parallel to transfer data.
You can plug in both to transfer/backup data. I think you should buy an IDE interface, but I would say that.
IDE and SCIS both hard their uses. SCSI was nice (I had SCSI back in the day), for lots of devices, HD,CD-ROM, Scanners etc. IDE was generally cheaper. If all you need is some storage, the IDE would be a good option. Hopefully they are cheap enough that even if you did get a new SCSI drive, you could still use the IDE for a backup. The IDE solid0state drive is also silent, no noises from spinning disks.
(where do you get a "new" SCSI drive?)
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Thanks Ian, to be honest I was just working through a sort of self-discipline process in an attempt to resist any accusations of compulsive buying of interesting retro hardware! 8-[

My colleague told me that he has amassed quite a few "NOS" SCSI drives, so adding one of those could have been an option. But I'm sure your board (and ZIDEFS) represents a better solution, and I'm not wedded to this SCSI board, other than it's a working piece of retro equipment in its own right - in fact if anyone particularly wants it for some other purpose I'd be happy to part with it.

I'll PM you!
stevebubs

Post by stevebubs »

jms2 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:36 pm
You have 2 routes here. Firstly would be to buy Ian's card and job done, quite cheaply.

A more expensive option would be to buy a SCSI2SD adapter and install that on your existing SCSI card alongside your existing drive.

Both will work, IDE card would likely be the cheaper option.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

That's a good point - I had forgotten about SCSI2SD and I agree it would be an equally good solution. However I have decided to go down the IDE route with one of Ian's boards. Keeping the SCSI board would make more sense if I had other SCSI devices, but I don't!

If anyone is looking for a SCSI podule, PM me. This is a Morley one.
pillock

Post by pillock »

Hello! I've been sent here as I've just purchased an A310 and would like to add a CF card to it. Sadly I can't PM you as I'm literally brand new to the forum and I'm doing far more reading than posting at the minute! Do you have any left? I don't need a DOM, I've got a few of those.
IanS

Post by IanS »

pillock wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:03 pm
Hello! I've been sent here as I've just purchased an A310 and would like to add a CF card to it. Sadly I can't PM you as I'm literally brand new to the forum and I'm doing far more reading than posting at the minute! Do you have any left? I don't need a DOM, I've got a few of those.
Sent here by who?

pillock

Post by pillock »

I was showing off my new purchase on the RMCRetro discord and Andy on there suggested this was exactly what I needed. He's got a few Acorn machines but not sure who he is here :D

Got your PM so I'll pick up there, thanks Ian!
giggler

Post by giggler »

Hi.

I would like one of these 16-bit podules and a DOM. I do have a question, what's a DOM (sounds stupid I know). I cannot as new to forum write a message to you so posting here.

Regards
IanS

Post by IanS »

giggler wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:22 pm
I would like one of these 16-bit podules and a DOM. I do have a question, what's a DOM (sounds stupid I know). I cannot as new to forum write a message to you so posting here.
PM sent with contact details.

DOM - Disk on Module, A flash based storage device that acts as an IDE device.
gwionm

Post by gwionm »

Hello

I'd like a Podule with DOM, I'm not able to send private messages as I've been a lurker for a while.

Cheers :D
Daperskin

Post by Daperskin »

IanS, I would like to buy one of these with DOM too. Unfortunately I do have permission to PM as yet, applied for but may not have been involved in enough posts since joining. Are there any alternatives, as I want to check out moving my A540 from scsi to IDE.
IanS

Post by IanS »

Daperskin wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:10 pm
IanS, I would like to buy one of these with DOM too. Unfortunately I do have permission to PM as yet, applied for but may not have been involved in enough posts since joining. Are there any alternatives, as I want to check out moving my A540 from scsi to IDE.

Return to “for sale / freebies”