A3000 for sale

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
oscarthecat

A3000 for sale

Post by oscarthecat »

Hi All,

Going through the junk room, I found my old A3000. Main board looks spotless, no leaks. Powers on. LEDs light and toggle with key presses and so it's probably working. I have a Philips analogue monitor to test it properly but I won't be able to get to that for a while.

1MB RAM upgrade. MIDI podule. Acorn Desktop Assembler (boxed with manuals). RISCOS Programmer's Reference Manual (boxed, 4 manuals).

Offers? I'm just trying to get an idea of whether it's worth the effort of collecting it all together, testing it and so on.

Thanks.
IanJeffray

Re: A3000 for sale

Post by IanJeffray »

1MB is a bit tight for any great use IMO. Clean board (no battery rot) is quite rare. If it's in good nick physically, that's worth something though -- most of what I've seen go for anywhere in the range of £100-£400 on eBay recently has been horribly security marked, or filthy/physically abused. How's it doing for yellowing? Mouse included? PRMs are worth very little for their content, but some collector may find them physically amusing to put on a shelf. Ditto the assembler.
oscarthecat

Post by oscarthecat »

I just took the battery out. On inspection it looks like it was just beginning to go. Little bit of green and wet under it and a little bit on the nearby resistors. No obvious corrosion.

The 1MB is a 1MB upgrade, so 2MB in total. Original mouse.

Plastics yellowing is present, but not too bad. It's been in a drawer since I put it away 25+ years ago and so it's been stored in the dark. Case is intact and unmarked. Other than being slightly yellowed and a little dusty, it looks new.

Can I test the machine without the battery? Do I need to reset the CMOS or something?
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

oscarthecat wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:46 am
The 1MB is a 1MB upgrade, so 2MB in total.
Oops, misread. Ok, so that's a viable machine for games at least.
oscarthecat wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:46 am
Can I test the machine without the battery? Do I need to reset the CMOS or something?
Yep, snip that battery out right away. It's fairly simple to pop in an 'AA' battery holder and NiMH battery (does require soldering - nominally with the board out of the case), but without any battery you can power-up the machine holding the DEL key until you get a beep, then it'll be fine until you power it off again.
mattdy4

Post by mattdy4 »

Some pictures of the surrounding battery area would be useful to prospective buyers. The gunk has a habit of spreading far and wide though it sounds like in this case it's survived, even a minor clean up is usually in order.

The manuals usually go well on their own. You can use the mono connector to do a basic test to see if it outputs to a screen. With or without a battery, hold down "R" key and switch the power on to clear the CMOS. Hold it until you see the RISCOS splash

Values wildly though with minimal damage I'd suspect you'd get at least £150 for the basic unit, bit more with a mouse added (gunk can damage the mouse port and movement so well worth fully testing)
peterskelton

Post by peterskelton »

Perhaps a long shot request - would you entertain shipping it to me in the USA?
craig_read

Post by craig_read »

Is this machine still available? I'd be interested if it is.. especially if I could see some images of the inside near the battery area... I'm located in Reading UK...

Return to “for sale / freebies”