A3010 for sale

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
impression-user

A3010 for sale

Post by impression-user » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:25 pm

!Hello,

I'm not an ebay seller so I’m looking here to see if there is any interest from anyone wanting to take ownership of an A3010-based system. I migrated to RPCEmu over a decade ago - for editing lagacy Impression docs - but kept the original hardware ‘ticking over’ by booting it once a month - until this spring. The A3010 needs a replacement battery – see additional info below. Here are the specifics:

• Purchased by me in 1992; upgraded shortly after to 4Mb of RAM and fitted with a Castle Technology SCSI expansion card.
• External 540Mb SCSI drive (supplied by Castle) and 4x Pioneer CD-ROM drive. (Castle documentation supplied.)
• Canon BJC-4000 printer with (recently empty) BC-20 cartridge and operated via Computer Concepts turbo driver & cable.
• US Robotics 14.4k Sportster modem (lights up but not used in years)
• Wealth of software, particularly including Computer Concepts Publisher and Equasor
• Fonts Foundary CD-ROM + Acorn User Collectors CD-ROM 1,2 & 3
• Umpteen floppy discs (Acorn User discs and backups of software including Sibelius – stored in a dry cupboard but their condition is unknown)
• Original Acorn A3010 box, mouse and manuals

Additional information:

After being switched off since spring, the A3010 wouldn’t boot this week when I started it up. No time to waste: to cut a long story short I’ve removed the leaking battery and done the minor cleaning up that was needed using white vinegar & distilled water. See amongst the photos below the 'before and after' shots.

The system has come back to life – drives, keyboard and SCSI components are all functioning - but if I want my preferred desktop settings to kick in I obviously need to run the !boot file manually until a new battery is put in. The thing is I’m not a computer hobbyist so it’s time to let go - assuming there is any interest! The new owner can decide how to take things forward starrting with a replacement battery.

It’s been well looked after and as it stands is a nice illustration of the ‘whole being more than the sum of the parts’ (try sourcing this printer for example). It still functions as a credible DTP machine (even by today's standards), has lots of software on the HD and with the 14.4k modem would be suited for BBS and Web 1.0 pages. The 540Mb drive has two partitions. The Computer Concepts turbo driver minimises ‘lock-up’ time to just a few seconds when printing DTP documents.

I don’t want to send this assortment by courier, so it’s collection only. I’m based in West Lancs. (If the distance is off putting, contact me and let’s see if we can come to some sort of accommodation.) Note the monitor isn’t included.

Thanks for reading.
Attachments
whole-system.JPG
A3101, external drive and printer
software2.jpg
software discs
modem.jpg
devices.JPG
*devices
canon-bjc4000.jpg
cartridge used up to last year - now empty
box2.jpg
original boxes
before-reaassembly.JPG
after removing battery just before reassembly
battery-before.jpg
original battery finally dead!
battery-after.jpg
after clean-up - the pins are still intact for battery connection
app windows.JPG
boot up after reassembly

derek

Re: A3010 for sale

Post by derek » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:18 am

Hi,

How much do you want for the A3010?

I live in Runcorn, Cheshire, so could collect.
Regards,

Derek

impression-user

Post by impression-user » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi,thanks for responding. I only joined the forum a few days back so I'm not able to respond to your PM. Thh I was leaving it up forum members to judge the worth of 'the whole'. To be clear, are you only wanting the A3010 unit? Regards.

derek

Post by derek » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:20 pm

Hi,

I would be interested in all, but it depends on price.

I can not afford eBay prices.
Regards,

Derek

impression-user

Post by impression-user » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:11 pm

Hi there,

Have responded via PM. Hope it got sent!

Regards.

c0burn

Post by c0burn » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:09 pm

Hello. I'm interested in this also if it is still available. I'm in Liverpool so could happily collect. Let me know if derek did not respond. Thanks!

derek

Post by derek » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:02 pm

Hi,

Sorry not to of updated, but I am not interested in this now.
Regards,

Derek

impression-user

Post by impression-user » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Hello there: yes it is still available. I'll be leaving it out until mid-October after which the A3010 will be stored away in its box, now that the battery has been removed. Regards.

c0burn

Post by c0burn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:17 am

Hi, good to know it's still available

As we both cannot PM, we will have to post in here, happy for you to email me if you want to discuss? - (email address removed by admin)

I'm just a new member who's always wanted an Arch machine. Just got a BBC Master Compact from a relative for free and recapped the PSU and have got the urge to scratch my Acorn/BBC itch big time - we had these in school and i loved them

Thanks, Mike

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:31 am

c0burn wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:17 am
As we both cannot PM, we will have to post in here, happy for you to email me if you want to discuss? - xxxxx@xxxxx.com (replace spaces with full stops)
Mike I've given you PM privileges so if you PM the seller with your email address they'll be able to reply via email.

I've edited your post to remove the email address, to reduce the risk of it getting hoovered up by bots etc.
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

c0burn

Post by c0burn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:34 am

Cheers Arcadian, I appreciate it.

c0burn

Post by c0burn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:02 pm

I am going to withdraw my interest also. Thanks all.

kppot

Post by kppot » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:23 pm

impression-user wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:21 pm
A3010 unit
Is it still for sale?
Could you please specify the price?

Matt.price

Post by Matt.price » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:44 am

Hi, I'm interested, sent you a pm.

impression-user

Post by impression-user » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:28 pm

Hello there kppot and Matt.price, sorry for the delay, I've been waylaid with stuff.
I've sent you each a PM. Regards.

Matt.price

Post by Matt.price » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:49 am

I've PMd you my mobile number. I'm keen to buy this. Please text or pm me..?

impression-user

Post by impression-user » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:36 am

Will text you over this weekend. Again, I've been tied up with stuff - hence the delay in checking messages. Thanks for the interest.

impression-user

Post by impression-user » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:21 pm

Matt have sent you an update by PM.

Return to “for sale / freebies”