BeebMaster BBC B Econet Kit

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
danielj

Re: BeebMaster BBC B Econet Kit

Post by danielj » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:20 pm

Ian, how many have you sold in total now? I just wonder how many operational econets there are floating about!

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:20 pm

I wish I knew! I don't have an accurate record of how many kits were made, and I don't have a collated history of all the occasions I bought 68B54. The earliest record is a ledger entry from 26th June 2003 showing I paid for 20 8271 and 20 68B54, but on the same date there is also an E-Bay listing fee for an 8271 upgrade kit. It's unlikely that any products would have been shipped without cleared funds, and this was in the days when I was paying by cheque and having to fax order confirmations to suppliers, so possibly the ledger was just catching up at that time. Or maybe I already had stock of 8271 as I did start the disc kits before Econet.

The next record is a purchase order for another 20 of each from August 2006, after that it's difficult to keep track as everything is done by Paypal or debit card payments so it's harder to trace what payment was for what.

I'd say at least 100 Econet kits, very possibly considerably more, maybe getting above 150.

More reliable for number of Econets founded by BeebMaster might be number of Clocks sold as there were only 100 made, and my records suggest that there might be only 16 left.

Hinotori

Post by Hinotori » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:27 pm

How many kits do you have left?

:)

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:39 pm

Zero. But I will do another batch if there is enough interest. Probably available around Easter time.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:03 am

I'm planning to make up another batch of Econet kits over the Easter weekend. I'll post again when they are ready but if anyone wants to spur me on in the meantime please do so!

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:00 pm

I could do with a model B kit. :D
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 pm

I can't believe I missed this first time round! I'd definitely be interested in at least a couple for the BBC B (is there a difference between the BBC B and BBC B+ kits?). I'd also be interested in a starter kit for, say 4 BBC Bs if you still have some of those available. I assume the starter kits are the extra bits needed to hook up the econet enabled Beebs together (cables, clock & terminators)? Out of interest, what's the difference between the Master and BBC starter kit, as I do also have a Master in storage, that I could pull out if it was the better solution? Total Econet newbie here!

Kazzie

Post by Kazzie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:15 am

KenLowe wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:58 pm
I can't believe I missed this first time round! I'd definitely be interested in at least a couple for the BBC B (is there a difference between the BBC B and BBC B+ kits?). I'd also be interested in a starter kit for, say 4 BBC Bs if you still have some of those available. I assume the starter kits are the extra bits needed to hook up the econet enabled Beebs together (cables, clock & terminators)? Out of interest, what's the difference between the Master and BBC starter kit, as I do also have a Master in storage, that I could pull out if it was the better solution? Total Econet newbie here!
On the BBC B (and B+, to the best of my knowledge) installing Econet hardware requires removing the mainboard to solder on IC sockets, resistors, a few jumpers, and the socket for the back of the case, then inserting ICs into those sockets. On a Master, by contrast, you have a single expansion board that you plug into the mainboard, and the rest is configured in software.
BBC Model B 32k issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
Acorn System 1 home-made replica