Worth Taking a Look At

peddle your acorn wares here!
Forum rules
You're welcome to trade Acorn-related stuff with other forum members here - the rule of thumb to follow when trading, is that items or services offered should be of interest to our Acorn community. Do NOT use multiple accounts - please trade with your regular (and only) forum account. If you're giving items away, please make it clear if you would be unhappy with the recipient selling on some or all of the items. Similarly, please ensure that the giver is comfortable with you re-selling items you have accepted as a gift. We cannot be held responsible for what happens in these trading forums or for deals done via PM. This must be done at your own risk. If you aren't comfortable with this - make the trade via an alternative site which can apply safeguards of their own. Be sensible - if someone approaches you to trade via PM who is not posting in the public forums, this may be a sign that they are not entirely what they seem. Please report it to the moderators if you receive an unsolicited message from anyone suspicious, so that it can be investigated and hopefully stop anyone being taken advantage of. This forum is not for advertising items you have for sale on ebay or other third party marketplaces.
cmorley

Re: Worth Taking a Look At

Post by cmorley » Tue May 08, 2018 8:34 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:I wonder how long the listing will stay up with the (understandable) remark that the seller won’t accept PayPal when collecting. Ebay does not like remarks like that.
The reason is fraud. There is a scam. Pay by PayPal and collect. Then claim it never arrived. Buyer wins a refund no questions asked because they seller didn't post it to the paypal address.

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:07 pm

cmorley wrote:The reason is fraud. There is a scam. Pay by PayPal and collect. Then claim it never arrived. Buyer wins a refund no questions asked because they seller didn't post it to the paypal address.
I've always asked buyers who pay with PayPal and then request to collect in person, to be prepared to log into ebay on their phone/etc and mark item as received when they collect it. This has only happened a few times to me (3-4 times in past 2 years, about 10% of all my sales) but buyers have been happy to do this and I haven't had any issues.

Although, thinking about it now, I'm not sure this completely avoids the scam though, because isn't there an option to unmark an item as received?

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Tue May 08, 2018 9:08 pm

I wonder how much this will go for?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-ARM-eval ... %7Ciid%3A1
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Tue May 08, 2018 9:59 pm

:D nope :D

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Wed May 09, 2018 7:56 am

steve3000 wrote:
cmorley wrote:The reason is fraud. There is a scam. Pay by PayPal and collect. Then claim it never arrived. Buyer wins a refund no questions asked because they seller didn't post it to the paypal address.
I've always asked buyers who pay with PayPal and then request to collect in person, to be prepared to log into ebay on their phone/etc and mark item as received when they collect it. This has only happened a few times to me (3-4 times in past 2 years, about 10% of all my sales) but buyers have been happy to do this and I haven't had any issues.

Although, thinking about it now, I'm not sure this completely avoids the scam though, because isn't there an option to unmark an item as received?
I've been using eBay for many years, but don't remember anywhere where a buyer can "mark item as received". A buyer can of course fill in the feedback form which does have the question "did the item arrive on time?". And once feedback is left you can't normally change it. But having completed the feedback form, this does not prevent a buyer from making a claim.

I can only suggest that you ask the buyer to say something like "item received okay" in the feedback comments or in a eBay message to you. Or maybe both. Then if someone makes a claim, if you can get a human at eBay/PayPal to read the message, you should be okay.

It is a shame that eBay (and PayPal for that matter) don't have an "item received" tick box.

Mark

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 am

1024MAK wrote:It is a shame that eBay (and PayPal for that matter) don't have an "item received" tick box.
The issue is more basic. IIRC the terms of service to sell and collect money by PayPal require you to ship to the PayPal address. Nothing else is acceptable. So if they collect the seller has breached the PayPal terms. You might be able to appeal it if you collect a signature and a photo of the person but the fraudsters know you are in breach.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed May 09, 2018 8:48 am

Interesting. Never occured to me, but then I never sell, only buy. Think I have collected twice in 15 years, and I must have paid by paypal as I dont generally use cash. Something to think about when I next see a collect item.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Wed May 09, 2018 9:45 am

Elminster wrote:Interesting. Never occured to me, but then I never sell, only buy. Think I have collected twice in 15 years, and I must have paid by paypal as I dont generally use cash. Something to think about when I next see a collect item.
For the buyer, there is no problem with paying with cash if you are collecting, as long as you can check or test the item(s) before paying.

The problem is with expensive items and you are a seller. How do you prove that the buyer collected the item(s). And PayPal protection for the seller only applies if the item is sent to the address registered on their account.

For me, If I am collecting, I normally ask, as payment by cash is often the most convenient for me and the seller. I've not sold anything where the buyer collected (yet).

Mark

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed May 09, 2018 12:14 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Elminster wrote:Interesting. Never occured to me, but then I never sell, only buy. Think I have collected twice in 15 years, and I must have paid by paypal as I dont generally use cash. Something to think about when I next see a collect item.
For the buyer, there is no problem with paying with cash if you are collecting, as long as you can check or test the item(s) before paying.

The problem is with expensive items and you are a seller. How do you prove that the buyer collected the item(s). And PayPal protection for the seller only applies if the item is sent to the address registered on their account.

For me, If I am collecting, I normally ask, as payment by cash is often the most convenient for me and the seller. I've not sold anything where the buyer collected (yet).

Mark
I never buy anything with cash as I have no cousumer protection with cash, if they dont take paypal I dont buy. Never even occured to me it was an issue for the sellar.

Edit: Plus to have cash you need money, to use a credit card you only need money at some point in the future :-)

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:43 pm

1024MAK wrote:I've been using eBay for many years, but don't remember anywhere where a buyer can "mark item as received".
Yikes, you're right! I better change what I state in my payment and collection terms... Looking back, I'd received feedback at the same time as the last two collections, but it sounds like it's best to ensure I ask for this at the time of collection.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:I wonder how much this will go for?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-ARM-eval ... %7Ciid%3A1
£134 as it turns out. I was somewhat outbid but never thought I would get it to be fair.
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc

Slo

Post by Slo » Thu May 17, 2018 12:17 am

Lardo Boffin wrote:£134 as it turns out.
:shock: For 12 pages :shock: What's in it future proof fuel formula?

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu May 17, 2018 8:06 am

Slo wrote:
Lardo Boffin wrote:£134 as it turns out.
:shock: For 12 pages :shock: What's in it future proof fuel formula?
:shock: £11.17p per page :?

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Thu May 17, 2018 8:16 am

For reference, all of these Acorn ARM Evaluation System OEM manuals are available here:
http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... M/OEM.html

Slo

Post by Slo » Sat May 19, 2018 2:16 pm

Well that was a waste of £134, not only can you download all the manuals for free, there's virtually nothing inside it that's helpful #-o

The seller must be doing cartwheels, i'd be doing reprints :lol:

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sun May 20, 2018 5:31 pm

VincentVega wrote:An Acorn System 1:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Expanded-Aco ... SwkLJbAXde
Well, rather a lot of non-Acorn modules, but still very interesting, I think I'll put a bid in...

Mark

bleeper

Post by bleeper » Fri May 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Nice semi-Acorn system 1, however...
It's quite heavy and will be sent uninsured Royal Mail parcel post, tracked and signed for but I'm not responsible for the condition it arrives in.
That is a red flag to me and makes me think the seller might be difficult to deal with if anything goes wrong. Ebay and paypal both do consider the seller to be responsible.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Quite a collection here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-comput ... Swx95bE8kq

A bit on the pricey side but the vendor is open to offers.
- John

sbadger

Post by sbadger » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:05 am

So many projects, so little time...

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 am

I bet everyone is watching these already, they will go for a lot as they are quiet rare. I won’t bid myself, just watching.

Probably something someone should reverse engineer and sell.

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:57 am

Arguably a bit useless as everyone's gotten quite good at diagnosing faults without them :D

matt_nottm

Post by matt_nottm » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:22 am

Elminster wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:48 am
I bet everyone is watching these already, they will go for a lot as they are quiet rare. I won’t bid myself, just watching.

Probably something someone should reverse engineer and sell.
Certainly a good idea, also it would be nice to have the Econet tester reversed engineered and modernised too!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:23 am

danielj wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:57 am
Arguably a bit useless as everyone's gotten quite good at diagnosing faults without them :D
You sure you are not just saying that so as to keep the price down and nab yourself a bargain? :evil:

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:50 am

Elminster wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:23 am
You sure you are not just saying that so as to keep the price down and nab yourself a bargain? :evil:
:lol:
That price is well beyond bargain, even now. Quite sure :D - I've got enough junk that's semi useful without adding useless to it!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:54 am

danielj wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:50 am
Elminster wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:23 am
:lol:
That price is well beyond bargain, even now. Quite sure :D - I've got enough junk that's semi useful without adding useless to it!
I guess one persons junk is another’s treasure, certain people in my household think any computer with less than 32 bits is junk. :)

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Elminster wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:54 am
I guess one persons junk is another’s treasure, certain people in my household think any computer with less than 32 bits is junk. :)
Computers with less than 32 bits are a bit rare. A ZX80 has 1024 bits and that's just the RAM... :lol:

Mark

atcurtis

Post by atcurtis » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:54 am

1024MAK wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:39 pm
Elminster wrote:
Computers with less than 32 bits are a bit rare. A ZX80 has 1024 bits and that's just the RAM... :lol:

Mark
Don't you mean 8192 bits of RAM?

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:14 am

atcurtis wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:54 am
1024MAK wrote:
Elminster wrote:

Mark
Don't you mean 8192 bits of RAM?
Err, yeah :lol:
Been thinking in terms of bytes for too long :lol:

Mark

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:53 am

1024MAK wrote:
Elminster wrote:

Mark
Actually, I try to store my computers in less than 32 bits. Not always successfully.
Paul