New version of Astro Blaster (was: I'm currently working on a version of AstroBlaster)

tricky

Re: New version of Astro Blaster (was: I'm currently working on a version of AstroBlaster)

Post by tricky »

SanguineBrah or indeed anyone else, please run "FIN" from the attached .SSD and let me know what it prints.
The first number is where the ready signal is connected, I think that this should be 128, but may be 64 on an issue 3/4 without the track mods.
The second number is how long it took to settle and on my original issue 7, it is 2 or 3.
First number 0 is speech not found and second number 0 is timed out/found a master/compact.
I would like to get a good selection of machines, but am pretty sure that it will work as I tried it out quite a bit before, but may not have remembered my own code correctly!
Attachments
test.ssd
CH."FIN"
(16.75 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
SanguineBrah

Re: New version of Astro Blaster (was: I'm currently working on a version of AstroBlaster)

Post by SanguineBrah »

The test returns 64, 3, 169C

To confirm, this is on an issue 3 board without the track mod and without a TM6100 fitted.
tricky

Post by tricky »

SanguineBrah wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:21 pm
The test returns 64, 3, 169C

To confirm, this is on an issue 3 board without the track mod and without a TM6100 fitted.
Thanks.
Silly question, how sure are you that it doesn't have a 5220
Sorry, I see, it has a 5220, but no 6100 ;)
Those results are what I expect, with the 3 probably being a 2 or 3 depending on timing - it doesn't really matter.

If anyone gets a xx, 2, please could you run it a few more times until you get a 1 or 3 and let me know which.

Because I couldn't work out which way around the two signals were connected, I wrote the code such that detecting the 5220 is the same as working out where the ready signal is wired. Later I found out that the CC Speech ROM does the same thing :)
I guess that the OS does the same test, but only checks b7 (128).
tricky

Post by tricky »

Here is a version that uses my code to detect the speech chip, so it should work on issue 3 and 4 boards without the track mods.
I thought I had tested the OS detection, but I have an issue 7 board in a rough case with large air slot, and must have used that.
I have a machine that the old code didn't detect the speech chip that I thought had a hardware issue, but was probably the OS detection code.

I don't have many machines out at the moment and all have speech chips, so there could be some incompatibilities that I haven't found.

The code should correctly detect or not the speech chip in B/B+/Master/Compact.
It should also detect:
WE shadow RAM (used for three samples if no speech chip), but does this by looking for a ROM with the title "Shadow RAM OS".
The RAM on a WE 12 ROM board if both BASIC and DFS (MMFS etc) are on the ROM board.
Solidisk sideways RAM (old and new) either 1 or more banks.
Any of the other sideways RAM boards including DIY for 1 or more banks.

It will use the highest number banks that it finds, so if you are using DFS/MMFS etc from sideways RAM, load them in the lower banks.

If you have sideways RAM that is not detected, please let me know the details and I will add it to my detection code.
Attachments
TrickyArcadeAstroBlaster.ssd
(76 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
tricky

Post by tricky »

This is probably going to be the new official version if no (new!) bugs are found.
This version uses sideways RAM banks from lowest to highest which makes more sense to me.
SanguineBrah, I think this is the version for you ;)
Attachments
(76 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
SanguineBrah

Post by SanguineBrah »

Thanks Tricky. Awkwardly, my Beeb's power supply has now decided that it doesn't like the load from a full bank of roms in addition to the TMS5220, so I am going to have to get that sorted before I can test out the new version. I will get back to you as soon as I manage to sort that out.
leenew

Post by leenew »

tricky wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:26 pm
This is probably going to be the new official version if no (new!) bugs are found.
This version uses sideways RAM banks from lowest to highest which makes more sense to me.
SanguineBrah, I think this is the version for you ;)
Hi Richard,
Are those instructions correct?
I can't remember UP and DOWN being used...

Lee
tricky

Post by tricky »

DOH!
No there is no vertical movement, by your shop anyway.
I didn't check the simplest thing, but I'm sure I copied it from Astro Blaster instructions! I did think that the screen looked a bit full and even checked which keys / and ; would map to on a PC!
I'll fix it during ABUG tomorrow.
The game should be fine though as I did test it on a couple of emulators and a beeb.
tricky

Post by tricky »

That took longer than I thought it would as I ended up rewriting the loader generator program.
(75.75 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
I still haven't worked out exactly what is causing the lockup, nor how to fix it!
If your ship gives a wiggle when it first appears, just press ESCAPE and restart!

Return to “trickysoft (new bbc micro games)”