Wanted - unusual floppy images

request software or documentation that you can't find online
jay

Wanted - unusual floppy images

Post by jay » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:03 pm

I'd like to try out some software on some unusual floppy formats, for example:
  • Opus
  • Solidisk
  • Watford DDFS (though I think I'm well-equipped with Watford DFS single-sided images)
  • Duggan HDFS
My emphasis is on the features of those filesystems that are different to regular Acorn DFS. So ideally, as well as getting a disc image in these variants, I'd like to get some pointer about what's in the disc image that's not visible to Acorn DFS.

Can anybody point me to some good examples? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. The actual contents of the images aren't material to me, except in so far as they use dfisc format features different to Acorn DFS.
Last edited by jay on Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I recently released beebtools, https://github.com/jamesyoungman/beebtools - feedback very welcome!

Pernod

Re: Wanted - unusual floppy images

Post by Pernod » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:32 pm

I think you'll struggle with this request. As there were no commercial releases in these formats then there's not really been anything worth imaging.

The main difference in the various formats is capacity, which is determined by the geometry of the formatted disc.

What is your objective here, and are you intending to use emulation or real hardware?
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

jay

Post by jay » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Pernod wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:32 pm
What is your objective here, and are you intending to use emulation or real hardware?
I'm working on the hundred millionth separate implementation of a tool for working with DFS images. I'm working on Linux for the implementation, and planning to check against the behaviour I see on emulators like B-EM.
I recently released beebtools, https://github.com/jamesyoungman/beebtools - feedback very welcome!

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:20 pm

Sweh put a chunk of information in his MMB tools.

https://github.com/sweharris/MMB_Utils
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

jay

Post by jay » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:31 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:20 pm
Sweh put a chunk of information in his MMB tools.

https://github.com/sweharris/MMB_Utils
Yes, I've come across it. I'm looking more for disc images. Since B-EM supports most of the ROMs in question, I could make some test images. The difficulty is, though, that not being terribly familiar with the specifics of the alternative DFS implementations, it's hard to generate test images that exercise the full features of the relevant format.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:35 pm

jay wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:52 pm
I'm working on the hundred millionth separate implementation of a tool for working with DFS images. I'm working on Linux for the implementation, and planning to check against the behaviour I see on emulators like B-EM.
So just DFS images, ie. single density formats that are mostly Acorn compatible?

The standard Acorn DFS and ADFS formats are well documented and supported in similar image tools. There are a wide variety of double density formats from Solidisk, Watford, Opus that are not documented, or supported by image tools, though may not be that useful apart from documentation purposes.

The Watford DFS can support 62 files, rather than the usual 31, and so has an extra catalogue on sectors 2,3 which may be useful to support.

I don't think there exists any tools for manipulating the Acorn CPM and Acorn DOS formats which may be useful to the community.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

LordVaderUK

Post by LordVaderUK » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:15 pm

Just tried googling 'Unusual floppy images' to help you out --- won't be doing that again and I dread to think what my Google Ads are going to be for the next few weeks :oops:
Loving my BBC Master 128

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:27 am

LordVaderUK wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:15 pm
Just tried googling 'Unusual floppy images' to help you out
:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:34 am

DFS and ADFS explorer do support some extra formats but not all