Acorn FIT and PET ROMs

want to request software or documentation that you can't find online? post in here!
Pernod

Acorn FIT and PET ROMs

Post by Pernod » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:38 am

Anyone have ROM images from the FIT and PET boards? Also any schematics?
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Pernod

Re: Acorn FIT and PET ROMs

Post by Pernod » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks, I knew I'd seen them somewhere. Nothing in those posts to make them searchable unfortunately. It also looks like Wouter has dumped the ROMs, but hasn't visited the forum yet this year :(
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:38 pm

Thanks to Wouter Scholten we now have the ROMs.

Contents are:
PET-4.00-2732 - 4K ROM from PET board
FIT-1.00-2532 - 4K ROM from FIT board
BBC-FIT-1/2 - 2 x 16K serial ROM containing BBCpu Final Test Station (A, B, Cursory, Disc, Econet tests)

I haven't looked at the PET yet but the FIT is intriguing. From the FIT schematic the 4K ROM is only addressed by A0-A7 with A8-A11 held high, this means only region &F00-&FFF can be accessed. There's no IRQ being held at startup to boot the ROM from JIM so maybe it's just to provide data to be verified against during tests.

As the PET board also clips onto the 6502 and SysVIA it's ROM overlays the OS from &F000, so also doesn't use the boot from JIM method.

The serial ROMs must be used together to form a FIT Test Station, apparently another manual for this setup.
Attachments
whs--pet_en_fit_testers.zip
(16.69 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Last edited by Pernod on Wed May 01, 2019 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Nigel

Wouter Scholten

Post by Wouter Scholten » Wed May 01, 2019 1:21 pm

Here is what I have in hardware, cables, manuals including the "FIT Test Station" manual:

http://wouter.bbcmicro.net/bbc/hardware ... index.html
http://wouter.bbcmicro.net/bbc/hardware ... index.html

I'm missing esp. the Econet testbox software and instructions. It is out there somewhere...

Didn't get round to any BBC stuff last year and it's all stored due to renovations/house sale, but I will make pictures of the contents of the manuals when I get to where I stored them.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Wed May 08, 2019 1:04 pm

Thanks to Jules Richardson here are his copies of the FIT and PET manuals. Note that the FIT manual is a different issue to that available at http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... n_FIT.html.
Attachments
Acorn_FITOI_201,901_Issue1.pdf
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
Acorn_PETOI_201,905_Issue2.pdf
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
- Nigel

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Wed May 08, 2019 8:37 pm

Wouter Scholten wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:21 pm
I'm missing esp. the Econet testbox software and instructions. It is out there somewhere...
The Econet Test Box software is on the FileStore Dealer Test Disc with instructions in the ReadMe file:
fsdd.adl.zip
(141.57 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

It's also described in the FIleStore Service Manual appendix A (should be on Chris's Acorns).

The Econet Design & Installation Guide 1993 talks on p.76 about an Econet Maintenance Aid Test Box, not sure if that's the same product or something else.