Help identify a text adventure game?

request software or documentation that you can't find online
lurkio

Help identify a text adventure game?

Post by lurkio »

On the Fb group someone asked for help to identify a text adventure game they played at school:
On Fb, someone wrote:I'm trying to remember the name of an educational game I would have played in middle school in around 1992-3 on a BBC Micro. It was a text adventure where you had to solve puzzles, cracks codes etc. I remember on the loading screen was the message "Press A Key" and you literally had to press the "A" key to continue. And towards the end of the game there was a magic sundial (?) which you had to use to travel in time to change the tides allowing you to access a previously inaccessible part of the game along a beach. Ring any bells?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/AcornAn ... 876146456/

Do you recognise the game?

:?:
fuzzel

Re: Help identify a text adventure game?

Post by fuzzel »

The obvious game with a sundial is Pimania but it's definitely not that. Then I found a couple of articles in the education pages of The Micro User (May 1990 pp 23-24 and June 1990 pp 23-24) which mentioned an online adventure involving a sundial and time travel. It appeared to be a schools project with the involvement of a software company but I'm not sure if it went commercial. Could be worth looking into a bit further though?
lurkio

Re: Help identify a text adventure game?

Post by lurkio »

fuzzel wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:37 pm
The obvious game with a sundial is Pimania but it's definitely not that. Then I found a couple of articles in the education pages of The Micro User (May 1990 pp 23-24 and June 1990 pp 23-24) which mentioned an online adventure involving a sundial and time travel. It appeared to be a schools project with the involvement of a software company but I'm not sure if it went commercial. Could be worth looking into a bit further though?
Thanks! The articles are interesting in themselves, but I don't think they're talking about the same game that the Fb user is looking for: the latter seems to be an actual pre-programmed tape- or disc-based game with a "loading screen" and a "Press A Key" prompt, whereas the game in the Micro User article seems to have been somewhat improvised or tailored for the class in question, and conducted via emails going back and forth between the schoolkids and the remote teachers or whoever was running the game (the "Dungeon Master(s)", as it were).

:?:

TMU May 1990 Page 23.jpg
TMU May 1990 Page 24.jpg
TMU June 1990 Page 23.jpg
TMU June 1990 Page 24.jpg

Return to “archive requests”