Electron Solidisk EFS

request software or documentation that you can't find online
Pernod

Electron Solidisk EFS

Post by Pernod » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:09 pm

Anyone have a dump of the 32K ROM (27256) found in the Solidisk EFS for the Electron? It contains both DFS and ADFS in a single ROM.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Pernod

Re: Electron Solidisk EFS

Post by Pernod » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Found in the recent Slogger haul =D>
Attachments
STL-EFS-2.1E.zip
(23.53 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:44 am

Hi Nigel, did this make it into MAME? If not, is it something you'd look at implementing? Ta!
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:35 am

Arcadian wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:44 am
Hi Nigel, did this make it into MAME? If not, is it something you'd look at implementing? Ta!
Yes, the Solidisk EFS cartridge was added a couple of days after I found the ROM, see https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/ ... 051c2633ed. The Winchester/1MHz bus socket was only added a couple of weeks ago, so will be in the next release which is due any day now.
- Nigel

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:08 pm

Ah thanks, I'll give that a try later today - in the end I went and set an actual one up, for testing out Raven Wood (which works fine on the Solidisk DFS, but I'm getting a 'Too many files' message if I try the ADFS version with the interface. Acornsoft ADFS is fine however.
Attachments
20200329_140018.jpg

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:44 pm

Does anyone know if this board and the associated ADFS is compatible with BeebSCSI?

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:10 am

KenLowe wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:44 pm
Does anyone know if this board and the associated ADFS is compatible with BeebSCSI?
I'd say very unlikely. In emulation I tried hooking up an Acorn Winchester but failed to communicate with it, though it worked with the Acorn ADFS.

The Solidisk ADFS addresses the Winchester at &FC4x, same as Acorn, but requires a Solidisk adaptor board which communicates through a 6522. The Solidisk Winchester also uses the WD1002 controller board which isn't compatible with the Adaptec that BeebSCSI mimics.
- Nigel

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:37 am

KenLowe wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:44 pm
The only Electron ADFS that is is Acorn V1.0 - everything else had the scsi code removed.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:38 am

Thank you for the feedback, guys.
Pernod wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:10 am
I'd say very unlikely. In emulation I tried hooking up an Acorn Winchester but failed to communicate with it, though it worked with the Acorn ADFS.

The Solidisk ADFS addresses the Winchester at &FC4x, same as Acorn, but requires a Solidisk adaptor board which communicates through a 6522. The Solidisk Winchester also uses the WD1002 controller board which isn't compatible with the Adaptec that BeebSCSI mimics.
So, if I understand correctly, if I'm using the Solidisk EFS board, I will likely need to replace the Solidisk ADFS ROM with the Acorn ADFS ROM to get it working with BeebSCSI? That would make sense if there are significant enough differences between the WD1002 and the ACB-4000 controllers. Do you think the Acorn ADFS would still work with the 1770 FDC on this board?
danielj wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:37 am
The only Electron ADFS that is [compatible?] is Acorn V1.0 - everything else had the scsi code removed.
Hmmm, according to this document, the Solidisk ADFS v2.1x is able to communicate with a SCSI drive; albeit ones based on the WD1002 controller board and not the Adaptec ACB-4000 board.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:57 am

KenLowe wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:38 am
Thank you for the feedback, guys.
Pernod wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:10 am

So, if I understand correctly, if I'm using the Solidisk EFS board, I will likely need to replace the Solidisk ADFS ROM with the Acorn ADFS ROM to get it working with BeebSCSI? That would make sense if there are significant enough differences between the WD1002 and the ACB-4000 controllers.
danielj wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:37 am
The only Electron ADFS that is [compatible?] is Acorn V1.0 - everything else had the scsi code removed.
Hmmm, according to this document, the Solidisk ADFS v2.1x is able to communicate with a SCSI drive; albeit ones based on the WD1002 controller board and not the Adaptec ACB-4000 board.
Effectively what's been said is NONE of the Electron Disc Interfaces will 'drive' the BeebSCSI! The BeebSCSI connects to the 1MHz BUS and will then need the Acorn ADFS 1V0 - but that can be plugged into any ROM socket - so the only way forward (I know of) is to connect via an AP5 using its 1MHz BUS Interface. A new batch of AP5s will be available soon :D

Of course there are other large storage solutions available for the Electron, however, I use a BeebSCSI all the time, with my Electron, and would be absolutely lost without it!! It just works and has never let me down =D>

Long term goal is to get an up-to-date ADFS with the SCSI code re-installed [-o< It will, probably, need a PAL-ROM-board set-up due to the extra code.

Dave H.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:28 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:57 am
Long term goal is to get an up-to-date ADFS with the SCSI code re-installed [-o< It will, probably, need a PAL-ROM-board set-up due to the extra code.
By up to date, do you mean PAGE=&E00?

Dave

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:34 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:57 am
Effectively what's been said is NONE of the Electron Disc Interfaces will 'drive' the BeebSCSI! The BeebSCSI connects to the 1MHz BUS and will then need the Acorn ADFS 1V0 - but that can be plugged into any ROM socket - so the only way forward (I know of) is to connect via an AP5 using its 1MHz BUS Interface. A new batch of AP5s will be available soon :D
There's a complete lack of detailed information on the 34 pin 'Winchester' interface on the Solidisk EDF board, but it does sound very '1MHz' to me. The Solidisk manual even states the following:
STL ADFS Manual wrote:Floppy discs and hard discs that are formatted on the Acorn ADFS, may be used directly on BBC Micro and Electron computers equipped with the Solidisk ADFS hardware and software, and vice-versa. The only exception is when the disc is protected by the STL password option — which can be set on any directory.
which made me think it might work. Unfortunately, I don't actually have the Solidisk EFS to test any of this on.

Looking forward to your AP5.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:06 pm

KenLowe wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:38 am
So, if I understand correctly, if I'm using the Solidisk EFS board, I will likely need to replace the Solidisk ADFS ROM with the Acorn ADFS ROM to get it working with BeebSCSI? That would make sense if there are significant enough differences between the WD1002 and the ACB-4000 controllers. Do you think the Acorn ADFS would still work with the 1770 FDC on this board?
Correct, with Acorn ADFS I would expect BeebSCSI to work with this board. The 1770 is also mapped in the same way as the Acorn implementation so would also expect ADFS floppies to work.
KenLowe wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:34 am
There's a complete lack of detailed information on the 34 pin 'Winchester' interface on the Solidisk EDF board, but it does sound very '1MHz' to me. The Solidisk manual even states the following:
STL ADFS Manual wrote:Floppy discs and hard discs that are formatted on the Acorn ADFS, may be used directly on BBC Micro and Electron computers equipped with the Solidisk ADFS hardware and software, and vice-versa. The only exception is when the disc is protected by the STL password option — which can be set on any directory.
The interface is assumed to be the same as the BBC 1MHz bus.

I tried accessing an Acorn Winchester on a BBC using STL ADFS 2.1 and it wasn't recognised, Broken directory. I think it means it still requires the Solidisk host adaptor and controller, but we're getting to the where we need someone with real hardware to confirm.
- Nigel

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:02 pm

hoglet wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:28 am
And the buggy track-0 writing ZYSyshelp kludge I think :D Although as you might end up writing the disk on an unfixed version of ADFS it's probably best left in :D

d.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:41 pm

danielj wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:02 pm
hoglet wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:28 am
And the buggy track-0 writing ZYSyshelp kludge I think :D Although as you might end up writing the disk on an unfixed version of ADFS it's probably best left in :D

d.
It doesn't affect the SCSI at all !!!

Dave H.

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:32 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:41 pm
It doesn't affect the SCSI at all !!!
No, indeed not but it was the only other think I could think of that was broken in 1.0? :D

tomlinson

Post by tomlinson » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:18 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to format my Winchester but not quite sure how - I'm using the Electron Solidisk Interface connected to the Solidisk host adaptor & WD1002-SHD

Electron User states...

On the Electron ADFS side, the 2.1 ROM also has some very nice features:

Extensive Disc formatting facilities.
*FORM40, *FORM80, *FORM160 and *WFORM (for the Winchester) are available to handle any disc drive.

My interface has the 2.1E ROM but there is no *WFORM command - Does anyone know if this facility exists in a different version, or is there a better way?
"Electron User"

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi Ian. I used to format my Solidisk Winchesters on a BBC using the Beeb version of the Solidisk Winchester Utilities disc (which I've attached).

I don't know if anyone clever reading can adapt the Wini formatter to work on an Electron?
Attachments
SolidiskWinchesterUtils.zip
(6.64 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

tomlinson

Post by tomlinson » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Hi Dave, thanks very much for this!... Ideal as I did acquire a BBC this year.

Actually this Winchester was one of yours and it's been incredibly reliable until recently - I think the head is jamming in the parked position. I guess I'll have to replace the drive at some point.
"Electron User"

Return to “archive requests”