Genie/Genie Junior by PMS

want to request software or documentation that you can't find online? post in here!
Pernod

Genie/Genie Junior by PMS

Post by Pernod » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:28 pm

Anyone have the original Genie? I believe it contains a 32K ROM and 2x32K RAM.

I have a ROM image of Genie Junior but it also requires a disk that is MIA, anyone have it and able to image it? I believe it is protected.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

billcarr2005

Re: Genie/Genie Junior by PMS

Post by billcarr2005 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:11 am

I hacked away at the !BOOT on the Genie format disk, since the Genie was password protected. Got it to format, then reused some code to retrieve 4 x 8KB blocks of code which all seem unique, save for the last 256 bytes or so. Not sure if they'll be any use. The Genie is a sealed unit and didn't really want to crack it open :|
Attachments
GENIE.zip
(20.24 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
GENIE FORMAT.zip
(839 Bytes) Downloaded 4 times
Genie Utilities.zip
(16.05 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:17 am

billcarr2005 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:11 am
I hacked away at the !BOOT on the Genie format disk, since the Genie was password protected. Got it to format, then reused some code to retrieve 4 x 8KB blocks of code which all seem unique, save for the last 256 bytes or so.
Thanks for those, though not sure if I can trust the ROM yet. Which locations did you read to switch the 8K banks? Looks like the default bank is selected at &9F80.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Could you post some photos please, of the two discs and the actual Genie device?

From what I've read the Genie simply slots into a ROM socket, no flying leads, so is read only.

The device contains 32K ROM, 32K RAM, and 32K battery backed RAM. From looking at the !BOOT on the Format disc there are reads from &9F84 and &9F04 which must be causing the banking of ROM/RAM. The format procedure is curious:

Code: Select all

lda &9e00, x
lda &a000, y
so need to determine how these correspond to writing to RAM.

It would be really helpful to know how you managed page in each of the 4x8K ROM images, so I can at least ensure they are paged in under the same conditions.
- Nigel