what should i write next?

suggest games that you’ve always wanted to see on acorn platforms
Commodore

Re: what should i write next?

Post by Commodore »

tricky wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:00 pm

i might have to start looking at console games although i never played them bitd.
I reckon there must be some decent Nintendo ones to do.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Sorry, I did play it a couple of times bitd, but haven't thought about it.
That is the one with the stories moving in circles and growing. Interesting, but a lot of gfx. And a joystick that moves in circles, like time pilot, I think.
AJW

Post by AJW »

Chuckie wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:13 am
The BBC has such much unrealised technical capability. Only the standard 32k was holding it back. Also licencing issues were a big factor in having realistic conversions.
Yes amazing that much of the hardware came from the 70s.
tricky

Post by tricky »

It is a shame that Acornsoft didn't produce freely available developer notes (assuming that they didn't) and encourage taking over the whole machine for trusted developers (with incompatibility warnings), much like consoles have done with 1st party developers.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

oooh, they never would have done that! It's a computer, not a console, and it has abstraction layers and everything!
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

(although not personally intending to be negative about games which do take over the machine)
tricky

Post by tricky »

They would have known from the beginning that people would use direct memory access.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I'm guessing Acornsoft weren't too bothered about what they did either - did their games take over the machine?
RobC

Post by RobC »

tricky wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:39 pm
I'm still hoping that RobC, inventor of the NuLA, will finish his version and I agree, we do need a good version.
I do still work on it from time to time. I recently got Swift working on my Windows laptop again (had to jump through loads of hoops) so there's still hope :D
Chuckie wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:13 am
The BBC has such much unrealised technical capability. Only the standard 32k was holding it back. Also licencing issues were a big factor in having realistic conversions.
I admit that the shadow RAM scheme was very clever but can't help thinking that it would have been better for games to have the ability to simply page in RAM in the ROM space from 0x8000 to 0xFFFF.

It's a shame that Acorn didn't bring out a 48KB or even a 64KB B+/Model C using this sort of scheme in 1983/84 (with an upgrade path for A/B owners).
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie »

t's a shame that Acorn didn't bring out a 48KB or even a 64KB B+/Model

They probably thought people would get bored after 32k :) I dont think the BBC Micro was specced as a games machine. Richard Russell specked the machine requirements. In general company don't really think about the consumer just how to save costs. More memory more money.

Nobody thought the beeb would stil be being used over 30 year later.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Chuckie wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:20 pm
How would it differ from the 64K B+?
extra RAM as sideways RAM instead of shadow ram, like the 128K B+?
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

tricky wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:24 pm
Chuckie wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:20 pm
I had a thought about this, so I started a thread:
RobC

Post by RobC »

tricky wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:24 pm
Yes - 16KB sideways RAM and then possibly 16KB RAM overlaying to OS ROM too instead of the shadow RAM.

As Ed points out in his thread, this would give (almost) a flat 64KB of RAM for those wanting to take over the whole machine.
tricky

Post by tricky »

And let you handle interrupts much more efficiently.
RobC wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:00 pm
Yes - 16KB sideways RAM and then possibly 16KB RAM overlaying to OS ROM too instead of the shadow RAM.

As Ed points out in his thread, this would give (almost) a flat 64KB of RAM for those wanting to take over the whole machine.
This was why I suggested the OS RAM module that cmorley makes.
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

Yes with the OS RAM + 1 bank of sideways RAM you can have 79KB of RAM in use without changing any paging registers (or 63KB if you keep the OS paged in for code) - on a otherwise standard model B.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Ah, so for £40 for a couple of BooBip modules, any model B can have a nice big RAM space for games to work with. Excellent! (That's only 10% extra on the machine price, in round numbers)
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

BigEd wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:18 pm
Ah, so for £40 for a couple of BooBip modules, any model B can have a nice big RAM space for games to work with. Excellent! (That's only 10% extra on the machine price, in round numbers)
A bit less £ than that but yes...

Another thing worthy of note is you can also replace the CPU vectors (reset, IRQ & NMI) so no OS overhead on IRQ and you reclaim the ZP IRQ scratch memory and page 2 vector indirect locations.. i.e. all the RAM can be yours! :twisted:

OS RAM thread
RobC

Post by RobC »

cmorley wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:58 pm
Yes with the OS RAM + 1 bank of sideways RAM you can have 79KB of RAM in use without changing any paging registers (or 63KB if you keep the OS paged in for code) - on a otherwise standard model B.
This would make porting games from other 8-bit micros so much easier as they often have more available RAM.

I've been looking at the Atari 800 and C64 ports of Pentagram recently and I'm sure it would work well on a Beeb given enough memory...
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Thanks for the pointer to the OS RAM thread, Chris, I'd forgotten about that.
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

I was watching by chance Ghostbusters on tv remembered seeing the computer game being played at a computer club I attended back in the 80’s. I can’t remember which computer was running it, but Dragon keeps coming to mind (there was only one person using a Dragon). I don’t think it’s available on either the BBC or Elk.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie »

Ghostbusters (1984)
Main article: Ghostbusters (1984 video game)
Ghostbusters is a licensed game produced by Activision based on the movie of the same name. It was designed by David Crane, produced by Brad Fregger, and released for several home computer platforms in 1984, and later released for various video game console systems, including the Atari 2600, Sega Master System and NES.

Ghostbusters (Activision) on the Commodore 64 (1984).
Most versions of the game have a similar basic format to the initial Commodore 64 and Atari 800 game, which Crane wrote in six weeks. He based it in part on an incomplete game called Car Wars featuring armed automobiles in a city; this led, for example, to the "ghost vacuum" on the Ecto-1, something not present in the film. Activision obtained the license early in the film's production, and most of the game was finished by the time Crane watched the film. While pleased with the game, Crane later stated that he regretted not being able to include a better victory screen.[1] The last week of development was spent on the opening screen which plays the Ghostbusters theme song.[2] The game was later ported to the Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, MSX, and Atari 2600.

The game starts with a choice between four drivable cars, and the player must stock up on equipment and make money to complete their objectives. Upon completion of the Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, Atari 8-bit, Amstrad CPC, Sega Master System and MSX versions of the game, a code was provided that allowed the player to start a new game with the amount of money accumulated by the end of the previous game. This allowed accelerated progression in the new game. The game varied in some respects depending upon which platform it was played; the Sega Master System version (1987) added an on-foot shooting gallery level with different animations, while the NES version (1988), ported by Japanese developer Bits Laboratory, made the action sequences considerably more difficult, had lower graphical resolution and provided a different ending. The new ending in the NES version is full of spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes:[1]
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

Maybe it was a C64, but for sure I wouldn’t have recognised back then. There were lots of spectrums, a few zx81’s, even less BBC’s (price) etc.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
fwibbler

Post by fwibbler »

I also had this game BITD on the ZX Spectrum.
I enjoyed it a lot even though it only got average reviews in teh magazines.
I remember that the music was awful with Electron like single channel beeps and no effort to jazz it up (as was usually done on the speccy). It had a fair bit of sampled speech though.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I had it on my C64, but only tried it a few times, I was and still am much more into arcade games, although I did play Uchi Mata a bit as I used to help out at a Judo school. Brian Jacks, the consultant on Uhi Mata and olympic champion came a long once and I managed to dislocate two of his fingers for him - apparently it wasn't that uncommon, but I still felt really guilty.
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

Talking about old Arcade games, back around 78-79-80 (I guess), Lowestoft swimming pool (now called Waterlane Liesure Centre), had two Arcade games in the entrance hall. One was space invaders and the other ...., I can't for the life remember what it was. If I could find some list of Arcade games with images, I could probably recognise it. Any sites where I could check this?
Richard B
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'm sure there is a simpler way, probably a website that lists MAME games by years, unless you have mame with one of the front-ends that allow you to filter or at least sort, but if not, I wrote one, but it is about 1.7GB with all the images.
MameGameLister.png
I wrote it to help me search for games to port to the beeb, hence the ROMs list window.

PS There are pinball tables, home micros and some chess computers too!
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

Yep, that's a good idea I found these sites http://www.ankman.de/mame/sor.php and http://mamepedia.com/. Working my way through them.
Richard B
tricky

Post by tricky »

They are great and a much smaller download ;)
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie »

[URL]https://www.retrogames.cc/arcade-games/ ... world.html[/url
play pac land
pacland.png
Its worth a ago it was ported to other 8bit formats
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyA2vS7sJZI gorf

This must be doable with speech! - Yes it has already been done but not with accurate sprites

Return to “new ideas wishlist & general chat”