LAND - A Multi-User Dungeon (well almost)

development and releases of new/rewritten text adventures
fuzzel

Re: LAND - A Multi-User Dungeon (well almost)

Post by fuzzel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:52 pm

Blimey, it's a bloodbath, can anyone help me (quick!)...
LAND BLOODBATH.jpg

JohnH

Post by JohnH » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:39 am

"Throw hand grenade"

WrightStuff

Post by WrightStuff » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:43 pm

Do the monsters attack you in real-time or do they wait until you enter your next command ?

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:50 pm

That is one dangerous rabbit - it did more damage than the elf with the bow!
Atom, issue 5
Elk
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:14 pm

Lardo Boffin wrote:
That is one dangerous rabbit - it did more damage than the elf with the bow!
Funny you should say that:
LAND rabbit.jpg
WrightStuff wrote:
Do the monsters attack you in real-time or do they wait until you enter your next command ?
At the moment it's strictly turn by turn, no going for a coffee and coming back to find you're in the morgue.
Your suggestion using interrupts and possibly an econet true MUD version will be a future project.

The observant of you will notice I have a slight issue with the combat text with no <CR> before "What now?". I'll fix that.

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:15 pm

I've now almost completed the combat module. I've included 12 creatures from LAND as well as another 15 fellow players of various ranks from novice to wizard who wander around doing their own thing. They have various indivdual attributes such as health scores and damage which can be inflicted per turn on you. Your own health can be increased by consuming food items (to be added) and the damage you can do is influenced by the weapon you're carrying (the program will check which is the best weapon and use that accordingly) and also the level you've reached.The biggest problem I had to overcome was how the fight plays out. For instance, the convention is that if a mobile starts a fight with you then they hit you first then you hit them back (and vice-versa if you start the fight). But in subsequent rounds, you fight them first. However, you might be already fighting several creatures but be attacked by someone new. This resulted in a creature starting a fight, you fighting them back then them getting another shot in before the next round. After another one of my flowcharts I've managed to correct this. I've also fixed the inevitable wordwrap error which seems to creep in from time to time when I do something new. The way the wordwrap routine works is to print location text, objects, weather and combat as a series of messages, each time I record the horizontal position of the cursor so I get a seamless narrative. However, when printing numbers such as you get in combat this could be between 1 and 3 digits and these meant the wordwrap lost its way. The way I got around this was to create a message for the number to be printed which seems to work fine so far. Further testing is of course required. As an example of a combat situation along the lines of what I've described above, here's one where I've been manfully defending myself against the elf and the bumpkin but that nuisance Toodleoo the arch-wizard has just entered the fray....
Attacked by Toodleoo and two other ongoing attacks.jpg

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat May 09, 2020 4:30 pm

It's been a while since I last posted so here's a quick update. I've not been an idle so-and-so, I've pretty much completed the game, performed several walkthroughs and bug fixes, then more walkthroughs, further bug fixes, then recruited a tester (you may have heard of him...), got a further substantial list of bugs, typos etc, fixed them, then sent out another copy for more (hopefully final) testing. As I see it, the final problem is the combat element, to reach the exalted rank of wizard you need not only to bank all the treasures but also to kill a number of the mobiles (game creatures eg elves or simulated fellow players eg Hobnob the wizard) to make up the shortfall. I'm currently working out various scenarios to ensure that the game is fair in that by using the correct weapon and restoring ones health in an appropriate way you can achieve the requisite score (or I may list the combat variables so those of you interested in spreadsheets or programming can work out the solution for yourselves). So over the next few days I'll be making a few posts along the lines of a bit of the background to the game, a listing of the game commands (rather than include them in a help file on the disc) and add some combat tips. Last but not least of course, I must remember to give credit where credit's due!! One apology I'd like to make in advance is there'll be no enticing colourful loader screen (ref: Dethmunk) - I'm hopeless with pens and pencils and even more hopeless with beeb graphics (although an idea I had would have been to show a picture of an old DEC-10 terminal screen with a login to the game).

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel » Sat May 23, 2020 5:39 pm

Ok, here's the start of the history of the development of the game as far as my dodgy memory is concerned. Ever since I got my hands on Colossal Adventure and Snowball by Level 9 I was hooked on text adventure games. By around 1987 I'd pretty much exhausted all the best games that the beeb had to offer so when my brother got a Commodore 64 with disc drive for Christmas I badgered him to let me play some Infocom games on it. I was also an avid reader of The Micro User magazine's adventure column and perhaps it was just a coincidence but I noticed recently that there was an article in there about Essex University's MUD at around the same time that I was sending out applications to universities. Anyway I did end up at Essex and I remember going down to the Computer labs with a friend (suggestively neither of us were studying Computer Science) to see if we could have a go at MUD. I remember the lab was virtually deserted it being the evening, but I noticed that on one of the terminals someone had been playing a text adventure and had logged off. I asked a student in there about the game and he introduced himself as one of the programmers of a spin-off called MIST and suggested that I could play the game on a guest log-in which I think had a limited amount of access time,restricted to out of office hours. Needless to say my friend and I were very quickly hooked. I learned that MUD, which we'd wanted to play, had been shut down as the author, Richard Bartle had set up a commercial version with BT ,a condition being that the free Essex version had to be taken offline. It still existed though in a directory on the server somewhere...

Return to “new projects and releases: text and graphic adventures”