Bitshifters present Beeb Tracker - new VGM music demos!

new graphics/music demos - bitshifters, 0xc0de, The Master + others
kieranhj

Bitshifters present Beeb Tracker - new VGM music demos!

Post by kieranhj » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Simonm (aka Scrubbly) and I are proud to announce our first production under the moniker of Bitshifters - a new collective for the BBC Micro with an aim to celebrate our love of this fine machine through the medium of demo coding and foster a community of enthusiasts and developers (but more on that another time...)

Introducing "Beeb Tracker" - a compilation of music disks that showcase chiptune music from other 8-bit platforms carefully converted to play back as correctly as possible on the SN 76489 sound chip on the BBC. No envelopes were harmed in the making of these tunes so they sound quite different from most music authored on the Beeb.

I was supposed to release these on site at ABug South in Cambridge on Saturday but I got somewhat distracted by all the interesting things going on. You can find everything, including full source at our new website: https://bitshifters.github.io. Let us know what you think!

Cheers,
Kieran

Disk 1 - Battle of the Bits

Disk 2 - Ninja Gaiden
(mostly for Arcadian)
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

CMcDougall

Re: Bitshifters present Beeb Tracker - new VGM music demos!

Post by CMcDougall » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:58 pm

8) funky stuff Kieran & Simon =D> =D> =D>
ImageImageImage

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:10 pm

Thanks! I forgot to add that these should all work on vanilla Model B and Master series. You might want to disable your Tube beforehand. I've only been able to test on my own Master hardware so please let me know if you have any compatibility problems and we'll get them addressed & patched.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:51 am

kieranhj wrote:Thanks! I forgot to add that these should all work on vanilla Model B and Master series. You might want to disable your Tube beforehand.
Or, just set the load/exec addresses correctly to &FFFFxxxx.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.32
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2020
>_

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:10 am

And JSBeeb emulation links too - very nice!

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:08 am

jgharston wrote:Or, just set the load/exec addresses correctly to &FFFFxxxx.
Good call, will get that sorted. Still need to check though as we're playing fast & loose with memory below PAGE - turns out Model B Acorn DFS doesn't use anything above &1100 if you're not keeping files open. Quite why they set PAGE at &1900 thus losing 2k RAM that probably spent most of its time unused, I'm not sure.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:15 am

The site has a nice collection of Beeb music and demos. I was slightly astounded by this one, which I hadn't heard before:
I'd download the .SSD and play it in BeebEm; JSBeeb doesn't seem to be able to cope with this one!

:idea:

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:33 am

Yes, we're wondering whether it is appropriate to become the "BBC Demo Archive" (cf. BBC Games Archive) without trying to appropriate / seemingly take credit for other people's work. All we want to do is celebrate the (sometime unappreciated) capabilities of this wonderful machine! :)

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:39 am

(If these demos do illustrate any weaknesses in JSBeeb, it would be good to file a bug on github.)

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:07 am

kieranhj wrote:Yes, we're wondering whether it is appropriate to become the "BBC Demo Archive" (cf. BBC Games Archive)
I'd vote for that! The site has a nice, clean design and makes it easy to browse and play the demos. But as the collection grows, it might be nice if you could optionally group by dev team (Bitshifters / The Yorkshire Boys / etc.).
kieranhj wrote:without trying to appropriate / seemingly take credit for other people's work
Maybe make the "Team" field clickable so that the link takes you to a page listing all the releases by that particular team? At the top of the page you could give a short "team bio" -- a description of the team and its members, etc.?
BigEd wrote:(If these demos do illustrate any weaknesses in JSBeeb, it would be good to file a bug on github.)
Done.

Matt Godbolt

Post by Matt Godbolt » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Looks awesome! And thanks for the jsbeeb bug reports already coming in. The sound one is interesting: I've struggled to find a set of emulation parameters that gets everything working. I suspect the "14 cycle WE low" issue mentioned in the bug report but any other ideas welcomed :)

hexwab

Post by hexwab » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:17 pm

One thing about the 3.58-to-4MHz clock rate conversion is that 3.58MHz tunes can use lower notes. The current converter tries to preserve pitch even if low notes end up clipped to the lowest possible frequency. This sounds terrible. Have you considered detecting clipping and shifting the whole tune up by a couple of semitones?[1]

A good example where this is particularly obvious is "sonic enters a dance club". This tune has been used before on the beeb (in _Some Nasty Effects_) but at a higher pitch for precisely this reason.

[1] "A couple"?

Code: Select all

echo '(l(4000000/3579540)/l(2))*12'|bc -l

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:37 pm

Yes, I was also going to suggest that attempting to preserve the absolute pitch probably isn't worth it, far better to send the same frequencies to the sound chip and live with the slightly raised pitch. The only time you'd need to do some pitch conversion is the case where low/medium/high periodic noise is used, as the Beeb's sound chip plays this at n/15 of the square wave frequency instead of n/16 like the SMS.

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:13 pm

simonm wrote:Kieran actually wrote "Calling Simon who wrote the conversion & re-tuning script!"
There are pros & cons to retuning - some of them do sound worse if the original frequency values are sent to the Beeb SN as-is. Simon should be able to remember better than I, having written the script and converted the files.
hexwab wrote:A good example where this is particularly obvious is "sonic enters a dance club". This tune has been used before on the beeb (in _Some Nasty Effects_) but at a higher pitch for precisely this reason.
For this demo the tune is just played as-is without any re-tuning, so sending the data values from the VGM file intended for SMS clock rate. IIRC it does quantise for 50Hz playback as most of these original tunes were authored at 60Hz.

simonm

Post by simonm » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:55 pm

One thing about the 3.58-to-4MHz clock rate conversion is that 3.58MHz tunes can use lower notes. The current converter tries to preserve pitch even if low notes end up clipped to the lowest possible frequency.
As I quickly discovered once I began this conversion odyssey, there was a fair bit of compromise needed, because as you say, it is the clock speed dictates the overall range of frequencies that can be generated.
SN76489 chips clocked at NTSC can output square wave frequences from 109.3 Hz to 111,860 Hz, whereas the beeb @ 4Mhz can only output 122.2 Hz to 125,000 Hz, so roughly around 3% of low-end frequencies for NTSC authored music tracks are impossible to reproduce on a Beeb.

The main goal of the converter was to reproduce the music as faithfully as possible as the original, within the hardware limitations, so that's why I took a frequency approach.
The only time you'd need to do some pitch conversion is the case where low/medium/high periodic noise is used, as the Beeb's sound chip plays this at n/15 of the square wave frequency instead of n/16 like the SMS.
Exactly right and in fact this was the clincher for the approach I took. Many of the songs use fairly complex interleaved arrangements of tuned-periodic noise and white noise on channels 2+3. This was initially a particularly bad source of detuned awfulness when songs were played back, and it was quite challenging to resolve (had to specifically detect tuned periodic noise on channel 3 and apply corrections to the frequencies on channel 2). Again, the only thing I could think of (to keep my sanity) was to stick to the Hz as a guide.
This sounds terrible.
Oof, say what you really think. ;) I personally was quite pleased with the results overall.
Have you considered detecting clipping and shifting the whole tune up by a couple of semitones?
No, but that's a good idea. Since the conversion works in the frequency domain, it would be quite feasible now to apply a little bit of transposition to an entire song to eliminate any low end clipping that might be occuring, as we have some extra upper range to play with (although the upper end is lacking precision due to logarithmic nature of the frequencies).

The final point to note is that some tunes are just impossible to deal with because they use some of the noise channel fixed-frequency tones which are explicitly tied to the chips clockspeed, and in practice the tune would need to be re-composed to eliminate that.

hexwab

Post by hexwab » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:38 am

My first thought was "keep the periods intact, and increase the tempo by 3% to account for tunes that rely on the default periods". But that doesn't take into account the 1/16 versus 1/15 duty cycle problem.

Keeping the pitch where possible is probably a good idea. (But then what if you have a multi-tune soundtrack where only some tunes need raising? Then the relative pitches between tunes would be out *sigh*.) As you say, there's no correct solution, only compromises.

OTOH, since 109Hz is actually pretty high (and 122Hz is even higher), lots of tunes go as low as they can. A few years back I converted a tune for the beeb (attached) that I had to raise by an entire *fifth* from the original xm.

I should clarify that it sounds great overall, it's merely the clipping that sounds terrible.
Attachments
psgyay.zip
(71.42 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

hexwab

Post by hexwab » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:12 am

kieranhj wrote:
hexwab wrote:A good example where this is particularly obvious is "sonic enters a dance club". This tune has been used before on the beeb (in _Some Nasty Effects_) but at a higher pitch for precisely this reason.
For this demo the tune is just played as-is without any re-tuning, so sending the data values from the VGM file intended for SMS clock rate. IIRC it does quantise for 50Hz playback as most of these original tunes were authored at 60Hz.
It's not. It's totally not!

https://github.com/crtc-demos/some-nast ... e_club.vgm is the tune.
https://sphere.chronosempire.org.uk/~HE ... b-vlc.opus is how it should sound.
https://sphere.chronosempire.org.uk/~HE ... -btrk.opus is how it's rendered in btrk (emulator: B-em).
Note that they're the same pitch but that around 0:50 the bass stops descending in btrk.
https://sphere.chronosempire.org.uk/~HE ... b-sne.opus is how _Some Nasty Effects_ renders it (again, B-em), which I believe *is* using the data values from the VGM file intended for SMS clock rate. Note that it's about two semitones higher.
(Also for extra fun, here it is rendered in realtime in a browser: https://sphere.chronosempire.org.uk/~HE ... e_club.vgm . Emulation may not be entirely accurate...)

Confused why you would need to quantize to 50Hz. But while on the subject of non-50Hz timers, here's a mad idea. Emulate frequencies lower than 122Hz by bit-banging the square wave in software. Why not? Setting the 76489's period to 0 (or 1, I forget) gives a constant output at the chosen volume, as (ab)used by sample players since time immemorial. And even the humble beeb can handle interrupts at 240Hz (twice 120, one to set the output low, one to set it high) or less. Limiting it to one channel would probably be sufficient.

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:08 am

hexwab wrote:It's not. It's totally not!
Yes, you're right, it's been a while since I dug through Julian's player. IIRC the pre-processor determines the minimal set of possible "envelopes" for both pitch and volume from the VGM data and then decomposes the tune into a sequence of these envelopes. He must be adjusting for pitch clipping during that process. It's a nice approach but larger / more complex tunes end up with >255 envelopes thus busting the entire compression scheme. We went with playing the (stripped) VGM data directly so we could play "anything".
hexwab wrote:(Also for extra fun, here it is rendered in realtime in a browser: https://sphere.chronosempire.org.uk/~HE ... e_club.vgm . Emulation may not be entirely accurate...)
That is an awesome website, thank you for the link!
hexwab wrote:Confused why you would need to quantize to 50Hz.
Most of these modern tunes have been authored at 60Hz so if you play them back at 50Hz they sound too slow. Also some of the more complex tunes have very short gaps between notes being played - again this is totally fine and I did write a (just about) ms accurate player using latched Timer 1 (see RS forum thread) - but is completely unpredictable in terms of CPU load and when it occurs during the frame. For demo purposes having predictable audio playback every 20ms is a good thing.
hexwab wrote:But while on the subject of non-50Hz timers, here's a mad idea. Emulate frequencies lower than 122Hz by bit-banging the square wave in software. Why not? Setting the 76489's period to 0 (or 1, I forget) gives a constant output at the chosen volume, as (ab)used by sample players since time immemorial. And even the humble beeb can handle interrupts at 240Hz (twice 120, one to set the output low, one to set it high) or less. Limiting it to one channel would probably be sufficient.
Yes, RTW did this for his music player. Perhaps he'd be happy to share the source?

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:19 pm

On the 50Hz quantization, all that does really is collect register updates into 20ms time intervals, and eliminate any duplicate register updates.
It's slightly lossy, but brings the terrific advantage that theres one packet of register writes every 1/50 of second so makes it very convenient for interrupt driven playback. In principle, 'Exact' VGM playback requires supporting the 44.1Khz sample rate, but in practice, as Kieran mentioned most tunes are authored at 60Hz, so we took advantage of that to remove redundancy from the file and this (plus Exo compression) enabled them to fit into the beebs limited RAM.

On the sonic tune, I'm not convinced the nasty effects demo does anything with the pitch, it just plays the NTSC VGM tune "as is". In my converter script, retuning is a command line option, so in fact you could process the sonic vgm file without any retuning and I bet a mars bar it would sound identical to the nasty effects demo.

I cant access those links unfortunately due to some secure connection failure, but I compared the original sonic VGM to the beeb version, and didn't notice any particular audio defects, and while I thought I was quite a fussy listener maybe my ear isn't as finely tuned as yours hex. :)

On the low frequency simulation idea, you could do this, but it would eat CPU cycles.

I've attached two VGMs - the original source VGM, and the Beeb VGM version of it used by Beebtracker.
Attachments
BotB 4406 sonic_enters_a_dance_club.zip
Sonic VGM after processing for Beeb frequencies
(2.5 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
BotB 4406 sonic_enters_a_dance_club.zip
Sonic VGM original
(2.51 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:52 pm

The trouble with the period = 1 (= 0 doesn't work on a beeb, nor the periodic noise at 0, which is supported by jsbeeb et al.) approach is that it is much quieter than the normal period method.

PS I run my LCD monitor at 50Hz as it only really matters for beeb emulators.

puppeh

Post by puppeh » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:37 pm

FWIW, you're correct that there was no pitch correction on "sonic" in my demo - but yeah, it probably does requantise 60Hz to 50Hz for playback (for some effects in particular, it's very desirable to be able to invoke the playback routine at the same time as vsync). I think I thought that no pitch correction would mean untuned white/periodic noise would stay in relative pitch with the square wave channels -- I don't think I released the 1/15th vs 1/16th clock-rate thing for different PSG variants. Ugh!

It's unfortunate that the software people like to use to compose tunes in modern times don't support 4MHz clocks (neither mod2psg2 or Deflemask do, anyway).

cmjones01

Post by cmjones01 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:10 pm

I've just played with Beeb Tracker on JSBeeb and it sounds great! It's amazing how different the tunes sound from the 'usual' BBC fare, even though they're using the same sound chip.

Here's a silly thought: there are arcade games which use the SN76489, too. My favourite is 'Star Force' which has three of them all playing in unison. What are the chances of capturing the data and playing it on three Beebs all at the same time? Now that would sound good...

Chris

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:05 pm

This is really cool. The music is great....I love the teletext player....it looks so vibrant. It sounds a bit 'SID'.....

Lately people have been doing some really interesting things on this forum..........things like a Mod player (which is amazing) and this.....you're right - the BBC is a bit unrepresented when it comes to the demo scene........it would be good to see some more stuff come out......oh and to say that ninja picture is awesome!

It's interesting that 30 years after all these machines have been out people are still pushing them to new limits......they are all even better second time around.............people finding new ways to amaze.

Does Beebtracker let you edit tunes or is it just a player..................

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:30 pm

Since lazarusr and I are currently at the RISC OS London Show demonstrating 8-bit music in various forms, I thought I would use the time to put together a new music disk. :)

Disk 3 - Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Chaos
bs-beebtrk3.png
Find them as ever on the Bitshifters website: https://bitshifters.github.io/posts/pro ... cker3.html

(I probably need to find a better splash image but the whole thing has been put together in a couple of hours!)

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:34 pm

pixelblip wrote:Does Beebtracker let you edit tunes or is it just a player..................
I just realised that I forgot to reply to this before. Thanks for the compliments! The tracker editor question is an interesting one. It would be possible to write an SN tracker that runs in MODE 7 for the Beeb but not a journey I'm quite ready to embark on. Most modern chip tunes are written using Deflemask http://www.deflemask.com/ which is definitely worth checking out if you're curious.

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:46 pm

FANTASTIC !!

That Sonic one is most impressive of all. Had music like that been on the original Welcome pack, chiptuning could really have been one of the bigger extra-curricular subjects.

Wish there was a way to skip back and forth through the music.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Commie_User wrote:Wish there was a way to skip back and forth through the music.
Press ESCAPE then cursor keys UP and DOWN, RETURN to select.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Commie_User wrote:FANTASTIC !!

That Sonic one is most impressive of all. Had music like that been on the original Welcome pack, chiptuning could really have been one of the bigger extra-curricular subjects.

Wish there was a way to skip back and forth through the music.
Glad you like it! You can bring up a menu to select tunes by hitting Escape. There's no way to seek within tracks though unfortunately, just because of the fact the tune is decompressed just-in-time to play, it doesn't ever exist in memory in its entirety in uncompressed form.

Commie_User

Post by Commie_User » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:15 pm

Oh yes, the scrolling text. Dim of me.

Return to “new projects and releases: demoscene”