New: Console Mode editions of BBC BASIC

for discussion of bbc basic for windows/sdl, brandy and more
Richard Russell

Re: New: Console Mode editions of BBC BASIC

Post by Richard Russell »

I have updated the Console Mode editions of BBC BASIC to version 0.33. The changes in this version are:
  • QUIT n now sets the exit code (n must be greater than or equal to zero).

• FOR...NEXT loop variables are now promoted to a float if they go outside the 64-bit integer range.

• Fixed a bug which could affect assigning to a sub-string using RIGHT$(s$)=, i.e. with the second parameter omitted.

• Added a new example program sudoku.bbc which is an adaptation of the Sudoku solver supplied with BB4W and BBCSDL.
Version 0.33 may be downloaded from the usual place:
* The Mac M1 ('Apple silicon') edition does not have a usable assembler because Apple enforces the Hardened Runtime on that platform.
I am suffering from 'cognitive decline' and depression. If you have a comment about the style or tone of this message please report it to the moderators by clicking the exclamation mark icon, rather than complaining on the public forum.
Richard Russell

I have updated the Console Mode editions of BBC BASIC to version 0.34. The changes in this version are:
  • I've (hopefully) worked around the apparent bug in MinGW's implementation of the _ftelli64() function.
  • Execution speed has been improved by about 10% by optimising the expression evaluator.
Version 0.34 may be downloaded from the usual place:
I am suffering from 'cognitive decline' and depression. If you have a comment about the style or tone of this message please report it to the moderators by clicking the exclamation mark icon, rather than complaining on the public forum.
RobMcK

Post by RobMcK »

Thank you Richard for all your efforts with the console mode BBC Basic.
Richard Russell

I have updated the Console Mode editions of BBC BASIC to version 0.35. The changes in this version are:
  • An edition for the 64-bit Raspberry Pi OS (currently in beta test) has been added. This typically runs more than twice as fast as the 32-bit Raspberry Pi edition.

• The Mac M1 ('Apple Silicon') edition now has an AArch64 assembler. This has limited usefulness because Apple enforce the Hardened Runtime on this platform, but you could still use it to export assembled code to a file.
Version 0.35 may be downloaded from the usual place:
nicolagiacobbe

Post by nicolagiacobbe »

Thanks Richard. You sure are going fast.
I hope there won't be big differences, I am just now getting used to the 0.34...

Return to “modern implementations of classic programming languages”