What happened to Eternal Destiny ?

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
Zarchos

What happened to Eternal Destiny ?

Post by Zarchos » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14 pm

Hi.

There's a video on Youtube and I've just found this :
http://www.acorn-gaming.org.uk/Reviews/Destiny/

Was it ever available (I think the answer is 'no') so at least where could I find the latest beta / demo release ?

I've found this
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... 1mHtRgXZ0J

it seems the programmer disappointed many people.
Never read so many harsh comments ...(ok except mine when 'debating' with Amiga fanboys ah ah ).
If someone remembers what happened I'd be interested to know more about this story ...

paulb

Re: What happened to Eternal Destiny ?

Post by paulb » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:26 am

Zarchos wrote:Hi.

There's a video on Youtube and I've just found this :
http://www.acorn-gaming.org.uk/Reviews/Destiny/

Was it ever available (I think the answer is 'no') so at least where could I find the latest beta / demo release ?
Being reminded about this now, my impression was that it was released but that people were disappointed about certain aspects of the game (which was inevitable, really, if I also remember the level of "trash-talking" and general promises of new and amazing aspects of the game on the newsgroups). I still regard it as a worthy attempt to do a native "first person shooter" that may eventually have been undermined by the eventual release of a licensed Doom conversion. (No, I never saw it for myself.)
Zarchos wrote:I've found this
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... 1mHtRgXZ0J

it seems the programmer disappointed many people.
Never read so many harsh comments ...(ok except mine when 'debating' with Amiga fanboys ah ah ).
If someone remembers what happened I'd be interested to know more about this story ...
You've managed to strike a rich vein of toxicity that was probably quite prominent in the RISC OS games scene at that time. I don't think things worked out very well for TBA Software, either, but there certainly seemed to be a level of animosity between various prominent figures.

Tracking down actual copies might lead you into "genuine rare" territory (GENURARE?) because the market for RISC OS games was never exactly huge and by 1998 was probably miniscule. I remember following such matters after graduating for a while, entertaining the possibility that I might once again buy a RISC OS machine again, before Acorn were finally shut down and I realised that I'd probably want to run Linux instead on commodity hardware, anyway.

jms2

Post by jms2 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:32 am

I'm pretty sure it was released, but by the time it happened the game had got such a poor reputation that hardly anyone bought it. As paulb says, this was an incredibly negative time for risc os machines. The problem, in my opinion, was that people refused to admit that the platform was a retro one. When you make that leap in your mind, everything seems fine and no doubt Eternal Destiny is a good game. But if you insist on the view that the machines are competing with current rivals, you get very frustrated very quickly and you would judge this game very harshly.

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:46 am

Thanks for your explanations, that's great to know more.

In case sbdy has a copy to sell, please pm me, I'd like to have it in my collection.

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:21 pm

eternal destiny was definitely released in full i have a copy. It was released on CD-ROM and was sold through Acorn User thats where i got mine from but it definitely exists.

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:25 pm

MatthewThompson wrote:eternal destiny was definitely released in full i have a copy. It was released on CD-ROM and was sold through Acorn User thats where i got mine from but it definitely exists.
Ready to sell it ?
To me, please.

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Sorry, it's not for sale, part of my Archimedes games collection, I have hopefully attached a copy of the advert in Acorn User which is where I got my copy from, I know it doesn't help you, but shows it was available to buy, there was definitely a demo version on one of the AU CD-ROMs but it was a nightmare to get running, I even wrote a letter to Acorn User complaining about it - and it was published too!
Attachments
AU-240-56.jpg

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Get it ripped and uploaded! Or is there still an active copyright on it?
Alex

Back up to 1 Beeb again. \o/

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:27 pm

MatthewThompson wrote:Sorry, it's not for sale, part of my Archimedes games collection, I have hopefully attached a copy of the advert in Acorn User which is where I got my copy from, I know it doesn't help you, but shows it was available to buy, there was definitely a demo version on one of the AU CD-ROMs but it was a nightmare to get running, I even wrote a letter to Acorn User complaining about it - and it was published too!

MMMhhh thanks.
Now I see the cover I wonder if I haven't got a copy.
I'll check that tomorrow ... I wonder if because of the dynosaur I would just not have thought it was one of those boring educational CDs about our ancestors ...

Sure you wouldn't trade it against an original copy of Blaston and Ballarena ?
(Hey, at least I tried ... one who doesn't try won't ever get anything ... French phrase :wink: approved by my cats too)

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Hurrah ...
DSC00013.jpg

davidb

Post by davidb » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Now we're only waiting for one of you to upload a YouTube gameplay video. :D

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:20 pm

davidb wrote:Now we're only waiting for one of you to upload a YouTube gameplay video. :D
Added to the 'To dos' list so no guarantee that will happen soon :wink:

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:26 pm

davidb wrote:Now we're only waiting for one of you to upload a YouTube gameplay video. :D
It will have to Zarchos as Youtube doesn't work on RISC OS unfortunately, that and the fact Destiny won't run on my Iyonix either unfortunately, pity really as it would work a lot better than it does on a Risc PC.

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:28 pm

Zarchos wrote:
MatthewThompson wrote:Sorry, it's not for sale, part of my Archimedes games collection, I have hopefully attached a copy of the advert in Acorn User which is where I got my copy from, I know it doesn't help you, but shows it was available to buy, there was definitely a demo version on one of the AU CD-ROMs but it was a nightmare to get running, I even wrote a letter to Acorn User complaining about it - and it was published too!

MMMhhh thanks.
Now I see the cover I wonder if I haven't got a copy.
I'll check that tomorrow ... I wonder if because of the dynosaur I would just not have thought it was one of those boring educational CDs about our ancestors ...

Sure you wouldn't trade it against an original copy of Blaston and Ballarena ?
(Hey, at least I tried ... one who doesn't try won't ever get anything ... French phrase :wink: approved by my cats too)

Glad you found you had the game in your collection after all, and the trade for Blaston and Ballarena wouldn't of worked , i've got both of them already !

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Here's some demo gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-fd83vovpw

Wow, it is horrible!!!

What we really need is a digital image for the archive.
Alex

sa_scott

Post by sa_scott » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:07 am

Ah yes, the Destiny game. :roll:

I did liaise with Rob Templeman, the author of the game during the summer of 1997, in an attempt to get a working demo onto the December 1997 Acorn User cover CD-ROM. Because the demo was so large, it made more sense to be able to run it directly from the CD.

Alas, it instead became a rather fraught affair (which I wrote about in an article published in the January 1998 issue - I think). It was a shame really, because 1997 was a far more optimistic time for the scene, so in that context, getting that demo working would have been fantastic.

Tau Press did indeed publish the game later in 1998, but I believe we only sold a handful of copies. The £30 price tag wasn't a great starting point, given the vitriol.

I would imagine Rob must have been pretty fed up that his 2 years of effort lead nowhere. I guess he's the best person to ask as to whether it can ever be made to work on RISC OS Pi.
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Professional
www.sassquad.net

paulb

Post by paulb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:43 pm

sa_scott wrote:Alas, it instead became a rather fraught affair (which I wrote about in an article published in the January 1998 issue - I think). It was a shame really, because 1997 was a far more optimistic time for the scene, so in that context, getting that demo working would have been fantastic.
I'd have to review the newgroups to sample the mood at the time. I guess that the availability of the StrongARM gave cause for people to hope that new and better times were ahead, when in reality the wheels were about to fall off the Acorn bandwagon.

I mentioned TBA earlier because they were also trying to make original titles in the mid-1990s, including Axis and Brutal Horse Power, and seem to have an interest in releasing Quake at one point. Sadly, they were all competing for the money of a small group of people and I seem to remember this showing through in the newsgroup discussion.
sa_scott wrote:Tau Press did indeed publish the game later in 1998, but I believe we only sold a handful of copies. The £30 price tag wasn't a great starting point, given the vitriol.

I would imagine Rob must have been pretty fed up that his 2 years of effort lead nowhere. I guess he's the best person to ask as to whether it can ever be made to work on RISC OS Pi.
The scene engine is technically good for what it is doing, but the demands of the audience were probably too difficult to keep up with, even though I do remember Rob trying to upgrade the game as expectations rose.

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:09 pm

sa_scott wrote:Ah yes, the Destiny game. :roll:

I did liaise with Rob Templeman, the author of the game during the summer of 1997, in an attempt to get a working demo onto the December 1997 Acorn User cover CD-ROM. Because the demo was so large, it made more sense to be able to run it directly from the CD.

Alas, it instead became a rather fraught affair (which I wrote about in an article published in the January 1998 issue - I think). It was a shame really, because 1997 was a far more optimistic time for the scene, so in that context, getting that demo working would have been fantastic.

Tau Press did indeed publish the game later in 1998, but I believe we only sold a handful of copies. The £30 price tag wasn't a great starting point, given the vitriol.

Thanks to everybody, that's very interesting.
Any email available to write to the author ?

I must say I'm still truely horrified by what human behaviour can be when I read the people flaming him and his work : to me what he did, as a single programmer, is just awesome, and programming games for the Acorn scene (original, not 3 week of effort conversion) is a pure act of faith and dedication to the Acorn machines.

I remember having the Eterna's CEO on the phone and when I told him I had bought Blaston he answered sthing like 'Really ? So that's you ?'.

Unfortunately I believe piracy in the Archimedes world was 50 times more harmful than on the STs or Amigas with such a small market.

PS : I'll make a video as at last I've got a Camcorder bought cheap from Ebay with some Acorn related items.
It works with DVD R and I think they'v just arrived and are in of the 2 parcels still unopened next to me.

sa_scott

Post by sa_scott » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:37 pm

Having done some digging, looks like it was the 200th issue CD (going by the review of it on the Acorn Gaming website), not the December 1997 issue, that had the demo. I was out by a year!

](*,)

As to author's details, the Wayback machine hasn't helped much, found some old websites, but a lot of it is broken.

Anyone tried LinkedIn or Facebook?
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Professional
www.sassquad.net

paulb

Post by paulb » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:59 pm

Some surfing around sites I haven't really looked at in many years, and I see that a review was posted on Acorn Gaming and is rather positive. Trawling through some of the other reviews there also brings back memories of other discussions, arguments, hopes and disappointments of the 1990s.

Thinking of another contributor to this thread, here's an interesting newsgroup post. :wink:

s1paulr

Post by s1paulr » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:41 am

sa_scott wrote:Having done some digging, looks like it was the 200th issue CD
I believe that this is the ISO of that CD (available on the Internet Archive website):

https://archive.org/details/cdrom-riscos-au-cd3

Looking at the contents, it does appear to contain the demo version of Destiny. I also have this CD, so when I get some time, I will see if I can get the demo up and running.

Paul

nOmArch

Post by nOmArch » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:41 pm

That's Issue 188 Dec 1997 with the Demo

This is apparently the 200th Issue CD (but the info included says its the demo as well)

https://archive.org/details/cdrom-riscos-au-cd4
Alex

s1paulr

Post by s1paulr » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:47 pm

Alex, you are quite correct. The version on the earlier disc is not zipped, so all the file names are in upper case. The version you refer to has this zip file of Destiny:

http://archive.org/download/cdrom-risco ... STIN%2FZIP

If using a PC (or Mac), once it is downloaded, you will need to rename the file to something meaningful to unzip it.

BTW folks, it requires 14.5MB of free RAM to run.

Paul

vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:47 pm

On a side note, talking about demos of games. Does anyone remember a demo of an elite style game (1st person cockpit view) which was going to have landing on planets and a 1st person exploration view? I remember the flying part but can't remember the rest.

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:20 pm

Proposal? I remembered the screenshots, sort of, but the name didn't seem familiar.

vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:40 pm

That's it, well remembered :) The demo was quite good. Doubt it ever saw a full release?

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”