remember Crystal?

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
A3000

remember Crystal?

Post by A3000 »

anyone remember a game called crystal for the Archimedes?, i remember playing it in school, along with e-type/lemmings/zool and the likes but i've never been able to find this one and cant seem to find any references towards it anywhere either.

also if anyone has a download link or even an original floppy/floppy's id be very interested

thanks all
*A3000,4mb ram,RiscOS3,512mbSDcard,SCSI Card through expansion+42mb ext-hd & swappable Sound sampler,Arm3 Upgrade soon

*A3000 (standard) used for testing parts out *Acorn A3010,2mb Ram/Acorn A3020,4mb ram,512mbSD,Other Retro computers&consoles
A3000

Re: remember Crystal?

Post by A3000 »

darn no one? im sure this was a game i played in school on the a3000!
*A3000,4mb ram,RiscOS3,512mbSDcard,SCSI Card through expansion+42mb ext-hd & swappable Sound sampler,Arm3 Upgrade soon

*A3000 (standard) used for testing parts out *Acorn A3010,2mb Ram/Acorn A3020,4mb ram,512mbSD,Other Retro computers&consoles
flibble

Post by flibble »

I can think of educational games

The Crystal Rainforest
Flowers of Crystal

and regular game

The Crystal Maze
A3000

Post by A3000 »

ahhh yes ok crystal rainforest rings a bell although all i have to go by is images of the game in break time through school, it was an adventure game, will do more research

MattBlissett

Post by MattBlissett »

I haven't found the original (not all of it, anyway), but I've got a working copy.

I copied it to ADF images, but couldn't get it working on an emulator due to the copy protection. I haven't investigated getting around that.
paulv

Post by paulv »

You shouldn't need to get around the copy protection if you use ADFFS...

Paul
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

paulv wrote:You shouldn't need to get around the copy protection if you use ADFFS...
I'm guessing he's made the ADF on a PC, in which case ADFFS isn't going to help as the protection will be lost.

If however he can image it to JFD with ADFFS on an Arc, it will work. Obviously you need an Arc in the first place though!
tautology

Post by tautology »

MattBlissett wrote:I copied it to ADF images, but couldn't get it working on an emulator due to the copy protection. I haven't investigated getting around that.
We could have a look at removing the copy protection, but most schemes on the arc used a raw disk read to get a sector key, which wouldn't be in the ADF image.

If you want to make the images available, I'm sure some of us could have a look.
MattBlissett

Post by MattBlissett »

I have it working!

After spending an hour trying to connect an A5000 to the LAN, I gave up and transferred the relevant programs using floppy discs. (Only one PC in the house even has a floppy drive...)

I used ADFFS to copy discs 1, 2 and 3 from the originals. Disc 4 now has bad sectors, so I made the ADFFS image within ArcEm using my earlier ADF image made on a PC a few years ago. Only disc 1 is copy protected, so this seems to be OK. The game works on ArcEm (under Linux).

I have roughly 80 original pieces of software (in boxes), plus some with boxes missing, plus some where I don't have the original disc (Crystal Rain Forest is one of the latter). Is there a list of what's already held in the Archimedes Software Preservation Project?
Attachments
Crystal Rain Forest
Crystal Rain Forest
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

MattBlissett wrote:Is there a list of what's already held in the Archimedes Software Preservation Project?
There sure is, take a look at the Preservation Status page. If you have any missing bits, drop me a mail: jon at jaspp dot org dot uk

Glad you got the game imaged and working :D
Last edited by sirbod on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldTimer

Post by OldTimer »

MattBlissett wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:58 pm
I have it working!

After spending an hour trying to connect an A5000 to the LAN, I gave up and transferred the relevant programs using floppy discs. (Only one PC in the house even has a floppy drive...)

I used ADFFS to copy discs 1, 2 and 3 from the originals. Disc 4 now has bad sectors, so I made the ADFFS image within ArcEm using my earlier ADF image made on a PC a few years ago. Only disc 1 is copy protected, so this seems to be OK. The game works on ArcEm (under Linux).

I have roughly 80 original pieces of software (in boxes), plus some with boxes missing, plus some where I don't have the original disc (Crystal Rain Forest is one of the latter). Is there a list of what's already held in the Archimedes Software Preservation Project?
Hi there,

Could you send me a DM regarding this? :) I'm really interested in playing it too!

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”