Weekday Virtual ABug feedback

listings of other non-ABug events, proposals relating to unconfirmed events and general event chat
sydney

Weekday Virtual ABug feedback

Post by sydney » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:05 pm

I'd like to hear what people think of the format of the weekday events.
Are you happy with the current 'freeform' style or would you like them to be more structured? Is there anything you'd change? I always ask for people to let me know what they have to talk about but very few do so. How far 'off topic' are people happy or wanting to go? What is considered on-topic and off topic? Are you working on your projects during the event or just sitting listening in.
I'm not that interested in 'getting the numbers up' more in making sure that those who are attending enjoy their time there.
I'd really like to know what you all think so please if you've been to one tell me .
All opinions count from 'It was crap' right up to 'It was the most amazing night of my life!". I hear that second one all the time! :lol:

1024MAK

Re: Weekday Virtual ABug feedback

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:18 pm

I think that second one is rather too far off topic for this forum :lol:

I’ve only been able to ‘attend’ one so far (work and real life getting in the way).

It went fine from what I could see.

There will be an increase in general chat rather than project discussion, as the number of Zoom meetings means that a lot of the projects in progress will now have already have had their prime time.

Mark

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:15 pm

I really enjoyed it. There was a nice ebb and flow to things, it was like a suitably nerdy evening down the pub :) Given the high structure of the weekend events, just having space to talk is good, and certainly mirrored my experience of real abugs where topics range widely. I think if there's anything specific that people want to discuss we should certainly get that cued up. Other than that I don't think you can really define what should be fair game to talk about? So long as it's not offensive, rock on. The Abug Arms :)

I spend half my days in zoom meetings, so the opportunity to be involved in something a bit random is quite welcome!

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:36 pm

I have to say I'm a bit more twitchy than that about off-topic discussion - when we go down a rabbit hole I get anxious about how we'll ever get back. I tend to be sensitive, too, about what we might be missing from quieter people, who need a bit of space to talk. It's probably natural enough that things get freerer as the evening wears on, but I do like to start out on track: we're friendly, but it's not just a random night out with friends - it's an ABUG.

I like the idea of gathering a few ideas beforehand. However small they might be, they might lead to an interesting discussion. Whether it's something you found, or lost, something you fixed, or broke, something you can't figure out or something you did figure out, if it relates to Acorn computers, I'd like to hear about it.

(For myself, I feel I've been rather uninventive and unproductive for quite a while now, but that means it's even better to hear about triumphs and challenges from others.)

roland

Post by roland » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:13 pm

I attended also one in the past and I was mostly listening and working on something. I think these weekday Abugs can also be used to help someone getting his hardware problems solved. For example helping John with his Yarrb Atom that won't start. When he points his camera to the work bench we could give instructions and directly see the results and give more instructions or hints.

Having said that, it shouldn't take a whole evening but half an hour or so. Other people can have a look and maybe learn how to troubleshoot hardware issues. After the "public time" some people could go to a private channel and continue to work while others can bring up other subjects or talks.

I hope to attend one of the next weekday Abugs, so please keep organizing them 8)
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:31 pm

I am very much with danielj on this. I really enjoyed last night. I think an event which is essentially just a social event amongst people with common interests is a nice balance to the much more formal nature of the all day events.

I think a lot of us are missing out on the social lives we used to enjoy and the virtual ABUGs need to address that too (as well satisfying our Acorn needs).
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 pm

I do hear you. But one of the things missing in these video calls is the feedback, the body language, the interruptability. If the speaker isn't paying attention to the audience, they can go on (and on) - if the only recourse is a dramatic interruption, that doesn't feel good (believe me.)

So I think it's helpful to have a moderator and helpful to be aware that there's a bit of a captive audience who turned up for a reason.

Of course, my perception and my model isn't the only one - I do appreciate that. But I would be anxious that these events are enjoyable for quiet people too, people who need a bit of space in which to make their contributions. Also for relative newcomers, who might not feel so confident with the group.

sydney

Post by sydney » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:16 pm

Is a bit more structure needed?
6:00 pm : Welcome, intros for new members and general chat.
6:30 pm : Topic discussion
?:00 pm : Social time (Whenever topic discussion is finished)
This wouldn't be rigidly enforced as a topic discussion may lead onto something related but not necessarily 'on topic'. Also topics could be discussed in social time if the member can only attend then or if something spontaneously occurs to a member.

New members would be introduced by me and wouldn't have to speak to the group unless they want to.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Sounds pretty good!

Any case to be made for saying that after 9pm conversation is expected to be more free-for-all but before then anything ABUG-related should have precedence? Or something like that.

I do like your idea of asking for people to register their talking points ahead of time, but as we saw, it doesn't collect everything and might not collect much at all.

Return to “other events + general event chat”