Timing for a Physical ABUG SOUTH Event.

listings of other non-ABug events, proposals relating to unconfirmed events and general event chat

When would you be willing & able to attend a physical ABUG meet up?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:57 pm

November 2021 - before Christmas season
30%
Early 2022 - January / February / March
30%
Later in 2022 - after Easter at the earliest
40%

Total votes: 20

kieranhj

Timing for a Physical ABUG SOUTH Event.

Post by kieranhj »

Following on from the discussion in the ABUG SOUTH 2020 thread, whilst JudgeBeeb does not currently have the capacity to organise a full ABUG SOUTH event before the end of 2021, I am based relatively close to the regular venue and would be willing to do the running to make this happen, should enough people be interested and, more importantly, be comfortable attending in person.

I'll be honest that my energy to participate in virtual events has long-since dropped to zero and I very much miss the opportunity to gather socially to spend some quality time on my increasingly neglected hobby with convivial, like-minded friends & acquaintances. However, whilst things have been 'opening up' for a while now, I fully acknowledge life is not back to normal. The last 18+ months have affected everyone in different ways, and it is clear that each person has their own level of risk they are willing to accept and adapts to the evolving situation at their own pace. Whilst the current COVID infection rates are not good, I have no real reason to believe things will be any different in any given number of months time. We do have the advantage that all potential attendees have had the chance to be fully vaccinated, at least.

Given that there is no easy answer to this, I would like to gather some data & input from the community to help steer planning and organisation of future events. To establish some parameters for the poll, I'd propose the same arrangement as our last meetup in January 2020, ie. a three day event (Friday through Sunday) for a maximum of ~30 attendees, at The Ely in Camberley, Hampshire. I should be clear that we do not have any confirmation of availability from the venue as yet, this is purely theoretical for now.

We would always, of course, follow any & all applicable government guidelines for such an event. That said, it should be stated that social distancing is not really feasible in the function room of The Ely, mask wearing is not enforceable (and in my limited experience, no longer really bothered with in pubs particularly) but it should be possible to improve the air flow in the room from previous years by keeping the external doors open -tbc with the venue's management.

I await the thoughts of our ever constructive and respectful Stardot members.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
daveejhitchins

Re: Timing for a Physical ABUG SOUTH Event.

Post by daveejhitchins »

I'd love to attend, however, I find myself in the "vulnerable" category for the time being.

So, for me maybe next year :(

Dave H.
IanS

Post by IanS »

Thanks for stepping in to organise this. Much appreciated.

Local user groups are re-starting. People are heading back to the office, even if only a few days a week. Most people will be double jabbed, I'd be happy to attend an event as soon as possible.
danielj

Post by danielj »

I'd certainly like to pop along, but given the number of double jabbed people I know dropping like flies at the moment (and surviving, just being rather poorly for a week or so), I'm tempted to wait and see how the winter pans out first...

d.
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

This is a tough one. At some point you just have to start taking risks again, but I tend to agree with danielj, especially as I'd have to take the train to get there.

I don't know if we're going to get another lockdown. I know these things are difficult to predict, but perhaps the objectively best time to schedule one of these would be immediately following a lockdown, when cases are at their lowest.
helpful

Post by helpful »

kieranhj wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 pm
I'll be honest that my energy to participate in virtual events has long-since dropped to zero
Ditto. I'd be happy to see a Christmas or early new year event.

*cough* Reminder that there is the London Show on Saturday 30th October, which could easily have an ABUG get together as well.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=23313&p=333542#p333542

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

I spoke with Tom in the pub the other week about this, I'd definitely be up for a meet. I've struggled a bit in lockdown but at some point there comes a time where it's just not worth keeping away from people any more (for me at least), particularly after vaccination.

Also The Ely was a great location, so as soon as we can get something going, count me in :D
Prime

Post by Prime »

My preference would be for simetime in earlyish 2022, as I've got the Dragon meetup in Cambridge in the latter half of November.

Cheers.

Phill.
sydney

Post by sydney »

I'd really like to come to a southern ABug but I'm unable to do so this year. Next year is more likely to be suitable but still not 100% (less than 50% truth be told). Not covid related just other things need my holiday allowance at the moment.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I voted according to great caution, but depending on the figures at the time I might make a last minute decision to attend an earlier event.

Anyhow, it kind of looks to me like an event might attract about half the usual number of attendees and that would surely be worthwhile, if the revenue would cover the cost of booking. Thanks for the thread!
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Do we think this might happen then?
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Thanks for all the votes and comments everyone. Looking at the split, it’s clear again this is personal decision with many factors.

Unfortunately my family situation recently got a bit more complicated, whereas I’d hoped things were getting a bit simpler after a difficult summer! That, plus given the need for a minimum number to make an event viable for the venue, I’m now minded to prefer a January 2022 date as this should give us a combined potential attendance of two voting groups.

I’ll follow up with BigEd and JudgeBeeb directly on the next steps.

PS. I’d completely forgotten about the RISCOS meet at the end of October - sorry Bryan! Alas I have another engagement that Saturday but perhaps some other ABUGgers could put a proverbial toe in the water?
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

I'd be very keen to attend an in-person ABUG, I've only ever been to virtual ones so far, and it would be lovely to see people 'in the flesh' :) Early Jan '22 sounds good to me.

Return to “other events + general event chat”