General chat and feedback relating to the ABug video archives

listings of other non-ABug events, proposals relating to unconfirmed events and general event chat
Arcadian
Site Admin

General chat and feedback relating to the ABug video archives

Post by Arcadian » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:25 pm

Please post any feedback relating to our archives of ABug video recordings here.
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

Ramtop

Re: General chat and feedback relating to the ABug video archives

Post by Ramtop » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:41 pm

Many thanks for taking the time to post these. I haven't been able to attend any of the virtual meetups so far, and the videos are hugely useful. Dominic's PCB advice and 0xCODE's demo coding talk were particularly interesting.
Gary

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:15 pm

Hi Gary, thanks for your remarks. The next all-dayer will be on Sat 4th July. If you'd like to attend it's worth keeping on eye out for the bookings thread once it's announced, as all 50 places at each of the last two weekend events were filled in advance.

Btw, if you'd be interested in taking a presenter slot at a future virtual ABug to demo the Elk SD interface* drop me a pm!

*mine arrived on Monday btw! Not had a chance to use it yet but once I've got the rest of the videos edited from Saturday I'll have a play! :)

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:15 pm

I didn't realise you'd ordered an ElkSD! Have fun with it :D

I'm going to try to be there for the July event. Not sure about a presentation, but I may have some interesting bits and pieces to show.
Gary

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:18 pm

Thanks to the presenters for taking the time and effort to present their activities, and also to you (Arcadian) for posting them online. :D

TimoHartong

Post by TimoHartong » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:44 pm

Thanks for putting all the videos online. Sorry for the delay from the Netherlands...

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:01 pm

Ramtop wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:41 pm
Many thanks for taking the time to post these. I haven't been able to attend any of the virtual meetups so far, and the videos are hugely useful. Dominic's PCB advice and 0xCODE's demo coding talk were particularly interesting.
That's very nice to hear, Gary, thank you! :mrgreen:
(there would be no Bad Apple demo without your ElkSD and I wouldn't even consider making version 2 without the faster ElkSD-Plus1 Rev.2 =D> =D>)
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:07 pm

I really enjoy viewing the videos. It’s especially difficult for me to attend these sessions. I’m still trying to get through all of Jafa systems and me video, with my wife constantly interrupting me.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Thanks Richard for the kind words, the JAFA systems talk was a personal highlight for me - John's passion and enthusiasm for all things Electron really shone through! The video is a wonderful addition to our archive! :)

roland

Post by roland » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:09 pm

I also liked the JAFA systems presentation. It's funny that John gets his own programs back via this forum. Also the current development with a 65816 in both the E2P and Electron is interesting. The only question that I have for this kind of expansion is: will it ever be used in an effective way? When you write software for this CPU then there are just a very few people able to use it so is it worth the trouble? The same goes for just a simple replacement by a 65C02: you can't use instructions like PHX, PHY and BRA if you want more people to use your programs.

Of course it's fun to get it working and that might be the first and best reason to create something!
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:40 am

I’m also very curious about the MK 2 Mode 7 internal board as I know very little about it. John showed the board which left me tantalised to know more.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:57 am

IIRC it hijacked the ULA good and proper?

d.

iwasjafa

Post by iwasjafa » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:21 pm

roland wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:09 pm
I also liked the JAFA systems presentation. It's funny that John gets his own programs back via this forum. Also the current development with a 65816 in both the E2P and Electron is interesting. The only question that I have for this kind of expansion is: will it ever be used in an effective way? When you write software for this CPU then there are just a very few people able to use it so is it worth the trouble? The same goes for just a simple replacement by a 65C02: you can't use instructions like PHX, PHY and BRA if you want more people to use your programs.

Of course it's fun to get it working and that might be the first and best reason to create something!
Thanks for the comment and yes... I am only doing it for my own interest!

iwasjafa

Post by iwasjafa » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:13 am

danielj wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:57 am
IIRC it hijacked the ULA good and proper?

d.
It didn't "hijack" the ULA. It just read the necessary data/addresses direct from the pins of the ULA.

John

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:19 am

iwasjafa wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:13 am

It didn't "hijack" the ULA. It just read the necessary data/addresses direct from the pins of the ULA.
:D - just to be clear, I didn't mean that as a criticism! :) I had a recollection of someone saying it actually drove the ULA.

d.

Return to “other events + general event chat”