A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

development and releases of new/rewritten text adventures
User avatar
LordVaderUK
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:26 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by LordVaderUK » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:15 pm

As demo'ed this evening on the virtual ABUG, I've attached a disk image for my text adventure, MoonBase Escape.

Don't expect the new Zork, it's a relatively simple game, with a few puzzles to solve. I haven't yet been able to test it on real hardware, but it seems pretty happy on the B2 emulator. The only person who has played it is me - so there are surely still some bugs and issues in there that I've not yet found!

Please feel free to have a go, if you break it please let me know so I can fix the bugs :wink:
MoonBase Escape Box.png
MoonBase Escape screenshot.png
Attachments
MOONBASE.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by LordVaderUK on Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Loving my BBC Master 128

dp11
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:47 pm
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by dp11 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:37 pm

Running through ABE saves about 5K and makes it run faster.

User avatar
leenew
Posts: 4108
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Doncaster, Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by leenew » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:47 pm

Perfect!
In the age old tradition of text adventures... one screen says Moonbase escape, and the other says Escape from moonbase. :roll:
Love it!
(I will add it to my list of things to play asap).

Lee

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 2681
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by lurkio » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:48 pm

dp11 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:37 pm
Running through ABE saves about 5K and makes it run faster.
Heh. That's my line!

:wink:

User avatar
CMcDougall
Posts: 7049
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:13 pm
Location: Shadow in a Valley of Scotland
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by CMcDougall » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:07 pm

dp11 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:37 pm
& makes it run faster.
how can it run faster?? it's not turning basic into machine code.... :?

Nice job Vader =D> =D> =D>
ImageImageImage

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 2681
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by lurkio » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:17 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:07 pm
how can it run faster?? it's not turning basic into machine code....
The Pack routine in the PRES Advanced BASIC Editor will substitute resident integer variables for non-resident ones where possible -- and res int vars are slightly quicker to access than non-resident ones are. (Pack will shorten the names of non-integer vars too.)

Pack also uses lots of other techniques to compress a BASIC program -- and a smaller program is quicker for the BASIC interpreter to scan through when it's doing a GOTO or GOSUB.

Also, I suspect that a smaller program with short variables, etc., is generally quicker for the interpreter to parse than a larger, "wordier" program is.

Btw, I've uploaded the current version of Moonbase Escape to a temporary location on bbcmicro.co.uk in case anyone would like to play it online:
:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Fri May 01, 2020 10:32 am, edited 5 times in total.

Naomasa298
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:49 pm
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by Naomasa298 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:34 pm

Can I point something out with my pedant hat on?

The Moon isn't a planet. :)

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 2681
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by lurkio » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:25 am

LordVaderUK wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:15 pm
Please feel free to have a go, if you break it please let me know so I can fix the bugs
Not sure if this is a bug or if I've missed something: I ran out of life support and died, and the game said I didn't have a spacesuit, even though I was wearing a spacesuit!

:?:

User avatar
Arcadian
Site Admin
Posts: 3340
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by Arcadian » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:21 am

leenew wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:47 pm
In the age old tradition of text adventures... one screen says Moonbase escape, and the other says Escape from moonbase. :roll:
I like ... 'Moonbase Escape' !

But that might be because there's already an 'Escape from Moonbase Alpha' game on the Beeb - hence going with the former title would help differentiate it.

Anyway thanks for giving us the demo in the meeting Andrew and cheers for making the download available - have given it a quick try but will have a proper go over the weekend!

Once any issues have been ironed out, do you think you could produce an Electron version?

(Oh, and I love the artwork and would love to 'publish' it one day in a swish disc wallet with floppy as you know! :) )
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

User avatar
LordVaderUK
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:26 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by LordVaderUK » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:58 am

lurkio wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:25 am
LordVaderUK wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:15 pm
Please feel free to have a go, if you break it please let me know so I can fix the bugs
Not sure if this is a bug or if I've missed something: I ran out of life support and died, and the game said I didn't have a spacesuit, even though I was wearing a spacesuit!

:?:
Had you repaired the spacesuit? As originally found it isn’t fully working...
Loving my BBC Master 128

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 2681
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by lurkio » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:44 am

LordVaderUK wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:58 am
Had you repaired the spacesuit? As originally found it isn’t fully working...
Thanks! PM sent.

:idea:

User avatar
LordVaderUK
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:26 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by LordVaderUK » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:52 pm

Naomasa298 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:34 pm
Can I point something out with my pedant hat on?

The Moon isn't a planet. :)
#-o
Loving my BBC Master 128

User avatar
LordVaderUK
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:26 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by LordVaderUK » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Arcadian wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:21 am
leenew wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:47 pm
In the age old tradition of text adventures... one screen says Moonbase escape, and the other says Escape from moonbase. :roll:
I like ... 'Moonbase Escape' !

But that might be because there's already an 'Escape from Moonbase Alpha' game on the Beeb - hence going with the former title would help differentiate it.

Anyway thanks for giving us the demo in the meeting Andrew and cheers for making the download available - have given it a quick try but will have a proper go over the weekend!

Once any issues have been ironed out, do you think you could produce an Electron version?

(Oh, and I love the artwork and would love to 'publish' it one day in a swish disc wallet with floppy as you know! :) )
MoonBase Escape it is...

Would be happy to try and remake it for the Electron but I have no idea where to start. What are the restrictions, and where is a reliable emulator (ideally for Mac) to try it?

As for publishing it, the egotist in me says yes, but the realist in me says it needs a lot more work and development before I’d feel comfortable with anyone paying (any) money for it!
Loving my BBC Master 128

User avatar
EdwardianDuck
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:07 pm
Location: Northamptonshire
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by EdwardianDuck » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:34 pm

The Electron lacks MODE 7 (1Kb) and MODE 6 (monochrome) requires 8Kb so that's going to consume 7Kb out of the 4.5Kb I think you had left.

Not that this helps at all...

Jeremy
Master 128 + RetroClinic DataCentre + Internal Pi Zero Coprocessor, MiST
BBC & Atari Software

dp11
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:47 pm
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by dp11 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:36 pm

LordVaderUK wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:54 pm
As for publishing it, the egotist in me says yes, but the realist in me says it needs a lot more work and development before I’d feel comfortable with anyone paying (any) money for it!
Take the money and either donate it to charity or the running of ABUG/startdot etc. :D

User avatar
sydney
Posts: 2630
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 10:09 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by sydney » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:37 pm

EdwardianDuck wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:34 pm
The Electron lacks MODE 7 (1Kb) and MODE 6 (monochrome) requires 8Kb so that's going to consume 7Kb out of the 4.5Kb I think you had left.

Not that this helps at all...

Jeremy
dp11 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:37 pm
Running through ABE saves about 5K and makes it run faster.
That gives 9.5k to spare so it should fit.

User avatar
LordVaderUK
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:26 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by LordVaderUK » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Ok that gives me a starter for 10. Best Elk emulator?
Loving my BBC Master 128

User avatar
sydney
Posts: 2630
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 10:09 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by sydney » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:47 pm

LordVaderUK wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:41 pm
Ok that gives me a starter for 10. Best Elk emulator?
On a Mac? Pass.

User avatar
Arcadian
Site Admin
Posts: 3340
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by Arcadian » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:10 pm

I don't have a Mac, but I suggested Clock Signal in the last Virtual ABug which EdwardianDuck went on to try and I think he said it worked reasonably well ... might not be perfect for arcade games but I'd imagine it should be fine for a text adventure...
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

User avatar
Arcadian
Site Admin
Posts: 3340
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by Arcadian » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:13 pm

LordVaderUK wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:54 pm
As for publishing it, the egotist in me says yes, but the realist in me says it needs a lot more work and development before I’d feel comfortable with anyone paying (any) money for it!
Oh I'm months away from being in a position to publish anything (as I think you saw, I've got lots of other new releases to get out of the door at the moment) so no time pressures at all, there's plenty of time for tweaks (and ports! If you're considering an Elk conversion!).

It would be nice to get the cover art converted into a loading screen as well ... I might drop a 'specialist' a line if you're happy for me to do so?
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

User avatar
LordVaderUK
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:26 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by LordVaderUK » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:15 pm

Arcadian wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:13 pm
It would be nice to get the cover art converted into a loading screen as well ... I might drop a 'specialist' a line if you're happy for me to do so?
Sure thing!
Loving my BBC Master 128

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 2681
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by lurkio » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:32 pm

I probably don't understand the Electron very well, but how do I type a tilde symbol in Elkulator?!

(I'm running the Windows version of Elkulator under WINE on a Mac.)

:?:

Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 19.31.44.png

User avatar
Arcadian
Site Admin
Posts: 3340
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by Arcadian » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:47 pm

Try Ctrl and Left-Cursor
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 2681
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by lurkio » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:54 pm

Arcadian wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:47 pm
Try Ctrl and Left-Cursor
:oops: Thanks!

Arcadian wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:10 pm
I don't have a Mac, but I suggested Clock Signal in the last Virtual ABug which EdwardianDuck went on to try and I think he said it worked reasonably well ... might not be perfect for arcade games but I'd imagine it should be fine for a text adventure...
Yes, it seems to work quite well. And it has the advantage that you can paste text from macOS into the emulated Elk.

:idea:

User avatar
EdwardianDuck
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:07 pm
Location: Northamptonshire
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by EdwardianDuck » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:37 am

Andy,

PM sent.

Here is my configuration in B2 to get (as far as I can tell) ABE working. I got as far as *BE & UTILS before lack of need to learn how to use it kicked in.

Jeremy
Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 11.33.12.png
Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 11.34.39.png
Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 11.34.54.png
Master 128 + RetroClinic DataCentre + Internal Pi Zero Coprocessor, MiST
BBC & Atari Software

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 2681
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by lurkio » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:51 am

EdwardianDuck wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:37 am
Here is my configuration in B2 to get (as far as I can tell) ABE working. I got as far as *BE & UTILS before lack of need to learn how to use it kicked in.
I've found that instead of typing *BE followed by UTILS you can just type *B and it will take you straight to the Utils menu.

At the Utils menu, press P to run the Pack routine on the BASIC program that's currently in memory.

:idea:

User avatar
daveejhitchins
Posts: 5661
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 pm
Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by daveejhitchins » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:45 pm

lurkio wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:51 am
At the Utils menu, press P to run the Pack routine on the BASIC program that's currently in memory.
Please . . . Don't forget to keep you editable copy!!

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 2681
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by lurkio » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:50 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:45 pm
Please . . . Don't forget to keep you[r] editable copy!!
Good point! I tend to keep the uncompressed BASIC source (with full REMs, spaces, long var names, etc.) in a text editor on macOS and then, whenever I want to compress and test the code, I copy and paste it into BeebEm, and then invoke Pack.

:idea:

dp11
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:47 pm
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by dp11 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:12 pm

Also you can test the uncompressed basic on the bigger machines e.g. Hi basic on a second processor or bas128 on a master.

iamaran
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:08 pm
Contact:

Re: A simple text adventure: MoonBase Escape

Post by iamaran » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:25 pm

LordVaderUK wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:58 am
lurkio wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:25 am
LordVaderUK wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:15 pm
Please feel free to have a go, if you break it please let me know so I can fix the bugs
Not sure if this is a bug or if I've missed something: I ran out of life support and died, and the game said I didn't have a spacesuit, even though I was wearing a spacesuit!

:?:
Had you repaired the spacesuit? As originally found it isn’t fully working...
Ah...

Post Reply

Return to “new projects and releases: text and graphic adventures”