Stardot Github Website

Development tools discussion area.
simonm

Stardot Github Website

Post by simonm » Fri May 03, 2019 12:32 am

Our little stardot GitHub organisation is not so little anymore, which is great!

Anyway it had me thinking that it might be worthwhile having a mini website as part of the github organisation that could be used to provide some useful hub for reference material to the various projects that are hosted on Github now.

Github does support wikis, but they are project specific and slightly opaque in how they work, so I wondered if it might be better done as a repository based site, since there's more permanence and openness to that approach.

So I've just spent an hour or so setting up a dedicated GitHub pages for the organisation account. It's a simple documentation theme, kind of a wiki, but really it's just a structured set of markdown files.

I'm not sure if it's going to be a good idea yet, but here it is (bare bones) anyway:
https://stardot.github.io/

Thoughts?

flaxcottage

Re: Stardot Github Website

Post by flaxcottage » Fri May 03, 2019 8:35 am

Looks good to me. :D
- John

davidb

Post by davidb » Fri May 03, 2019 9:25 am

Looks like a good start!

As long as the content can be migrated to other providers (should it prove necessary in the future), I'm happy to pitch in with content every now and then. :)

Do you want to put a license declaration on each page, maybe in the page footer? Something like a Creative Commons license, perhaps?

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri May 03, 2019 9:30 am

That is basically what I did for the Acorn hardware list, link in my signature, on github as the wiki was too restrictive, and it is easier to manage.

So thumbs up from me.

You could link on the hardware page to the hardware list. Or you could fork it.

Edit:
Added link here so easier to find.
https://elminster.github.io/hardware
Last edited by Elminster on Fri May 03, 2019 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks for the feedback so far. Sounds like it might be useful then.
davidb wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:25 am
As long as the content can be migrated to other providers (should it prove necessary in the future), I'm happy to pitch in with content every now and then. :)

Do you want to put a license declaration on each page, maybe in the page footer? Something like a Creative Commons license, perhaps?
Yes indeed, I figured since it's a public repo owned by the stardot community, all content will be very easy to preserve or migrate elsewhere, and markdown is pretty generic as a documentation format.

A footer with attributions is easy to add. I also think the theme can be tweaked to remove some of the slightly fiddly yaml headers and make it render any old markdown files in a hierarchical way, so that there's simply a folder structure of markdown docs.
Elminster wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:30 am
That is basically what I did for the Acorn hardware list, link in my signature, on github as the wiki was too restrictive, and it is easier to manage.

So thumbs up from me.

You could link on the hardware page to the hardware list. Or you could fork it.

Edit:
Added link here so easier to find.
https://elminster.github.io/hardware
This is great. I'm thinking the aim isn't to duplicate information that already exists on the web; more that if the stardot site simply containing links to valuable resources like this, that in itself would have value as a useful "directory".

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri May 03, 2019 9:57 am

What tool are you using or are you handcrafting?

I am using LightPaper on the Mac. Doing by hand got boring.

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri May 03, 2019 10:02 am

Elminster wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:57 am
What tool are you using or are you handcrafting?

I am using LightPaper on the Mac. Doing by hand got boring.
I tend to compose/edit "quick" markdown docs just in a regular text editor (Notepad++). For more involved stuff I use Visual Studio Code. There's plenty of choice for markdown editors now it seems. Which is good. :D

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri May 03, 2019 10:06 am

I've experimentally setup a Github team with full contribution access to the repo, so feel free to add yourself or request access to the team.
https://github.com/orgs/stardot/teams/website

Essentially, anything in the docs folder is open for business. The theme stuff around it is just template stuff that shouldnt need to be a distraction to writing/contributing content.
I'll probably make some tweaks to the theme later tonight.
Last edited by simonm on Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri May 03, 2019 11:39 am

Minor point, the link, you can view.. Goes of the side of my phone screen.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue May 28, 2019 9:17 am

One thing about github pages that is a bit of a pain, is there is no way to get stats on visitors, you only get it for the repository itself.

You can use google analytics, which I am just having a play with, but because that sets off all the cookie tracker programs it is a bit of a pain. Plus it is a bit of a sledgehammer just to get a bit of data about visitors.

You could write your own one but that involves store data, maybe there is something better.