Which debugger do you use?

Development tools discussion area.
pau1ie

Which debugger do you use?

Post by pau1ie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:09 pm

I have been using b-em, but I have to keep manually checking the memory address against the dasm file and then against the code. Is there a better debugger? I suppose part of the problem is I am using 64tass which has limited bbc support.

I suppose I am asking - what tools do you use? Also, how much effort do you think it would be to change to use a more bbc focussed assembler?

tricky

Re: Which debugger do you use?

Post by tricky » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:17 pm

I mostly use a customised beebem that loads the labels from beebasm and then displays them while stepping as well as automatically in break points and watches. They are displayed as nearest label +/-offset and auto saved/loaded.

I mainly use b-em for testing and beebem for debugging.

I have only used basic's assembler bitd and beebasm now and never considered changing. I think i would still use beebasm even if I was tempted by another platform.
Last edited by tricky on Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:36 pm

How does the n command in b-em work? The help says

Code: Select all

n          - step, but treat a called subroutine as one step
But when it hit a BNE it didn't return until it hit a breakpoint, so it thinks that is a subroutine? I thought the only way to call a subroutine is JSR.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:56 pm

pau1ie wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:36 pm
How does the n command in b-em work? The help says

Code: Select all

n          - step, but treat a called subroutine as one step
But when it hit a BNE it didn't return until it hit a breakpoint, so it thinks that is a subroutine? I thought the only way to call a subroutine is JSR.
The n command should set a breakpoint on the instruction after the current one, and run until that is hit.

It's useful to quickly skip over a subroutine call (if used on a JSR).

It can also be used to skip past a loop (if used on the backwards branch at the end of a loop).

Dave
Last edited by hoglet on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:45 pm

hoglet wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:56 pm
The n command should set a breakpoint on instruction after the current one, and run until that is hit.
Thanks - that makes complete sense now, because it never hit the next instruction - it branched.

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:43 pm

It's not free but I find it very good NoIce from John Hartmann. I bought the full version and find it excellent. If anyone wants a try I can help with porting a 6502 monitor (you need to write a small module to communicate with the remote PC).

For longer running / difficult to track down problems Dave's decode6502 and a fx2lafw can often find stuff quickly that would otherwise take a lot of tracking down....I really need to make a 6809 version!

D