Beebspriter

bbc micro/electron/atom/risc os coding queries and routines
AJW

Beebspriter

Post by AJW » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:01 pm

I wanted to try http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/wiki/ind ... eebSpriter
Has anyone got it to work on a Mac?
Also how does it export to the emulator?

jregel

Re: Beebspriter

Post by jregel » Wed May 27, 2020 7:36 pm

I don't have the answer to the original question, but came here to ask a Beebspriter question when I saw an existing thread, so please forgive the thread hijacking...

I've just been having a go at Beebspriter and it's really impressive! Thanks RTW for releasing it!

So far, I've designed a handful of sprites that I want to use as tiles (16x16, mode 1), but I can't find any documentation on how to actually use them.

Does anyone have any simple examples they could share? Selecting a sprite from the exported sheet and displaying it to screen would be sufficient.

Is the sprite format exportable from Beebspriter compatible with the sprite editor that comes with the GXR ROM/Master Sprite ROM? My initial experiments haven't been successful, but there may be a combination of options that I've not come across yet.

I'm assuming that if the sprites could be loaded into the Spriter ROM (sideways RAM), then I could use VDU23,27 to select them and Plot &ed,x,y to display them which would make the whole process very simple.

Thanks in advance.
BBC Master Turbo, Retroclinic External Datacentre, VideoNuLA, PiTubeDirect with Pi Zero, Gotek USB Floppy Emulator

AJW

Post by AJW » Wed May 27, 2020 7:47 pm

I made a crude custom editor and plotter in Basic and assembler.

AJW

Post by AJW » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:44 pm

Did you get it to work? I assume looking at the export options that it can do what my more basic designer does: 2bpp 2 sets of 8 bytes top row, 2 sets of 8 bytes bottom row for 16x16 sprites.
Haven't tried Beebspriter yet due to working on Mac but hope to get around to trying on Windows.
The main advantage seems to be animation, to import graphics found on the Internet you'd still need a custom exporter?

jregel

Post by jregel » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:27 pm

I exported the sprite in Row-major format with transparent pixels as colour 0 set and excluding the header file generation. I then *LOADED the data to screen memory and it displayed okay.

Then it was simply a case of using two MOVE commands (bottom left of sprite and top right of sprite) and then VDU 23,27,1,S%,0,0,0,0,0,0 and the screen data was captured into GXR Sprite format which could then be saved using *SSAVE.
BBC Master Turbo, Retroclinic External Datacentre, VideoNuLA, PiTubeDirect with Pi Zero, Gotek USB Floppy Emulator

AJW

Post by AJW » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:41 pm

*loaded , so it has offsets built in?

AJW

Post by AJW » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:23 pm

Also - VDU 23,27 - are your using an Acornsoft sprite ROM?

jregel

Post by jregel » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:09 pm

AJW wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:23 pm
Also - VDU 23,27 - are your using an Acornsoft sprite ROM?
Yes (or more specifically, the SPRITER ROM image from the Welcome Disc on my Master).

Return to “programming”