football game dev

Discuss all aspects of programming here. From 8-bit through to modern architectures.
Chuckie

football game dev

Post by Chuckie » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Would it be possible to create a football games similar to sensible socca on the beeb
with scrolling pitch animated players..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL2T4Yn2Tq8

RobC

Re: football game dev

Post by RobC » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:41 pm

There are some Beeb footie games like Superior Soccer and Arcade Soccer that scroll the pitch horizontally and vertically but they aren't great.

I used to play Sensible Soccer loads on the Arc and I've thought about doing something like this a few times with VideoNuLA but have never found the time to actually start on it.

Single pixel vertical scrolling can be done using the vertical rupture technique.

On a stock Beeb, you can scroll horizontally in two pixel increments in mode 2 or 4 pixels in mode 1. However, VideoNuLA allows single pixel horizontal scrolling in all modes so could produce something a bit like Sensible Soccer in a 16-colour mode 2.

tricky

Re: football game dev

Post by tricky » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:23 pm

If you don't mind not working on hardware connected to non CRT you can use the technique in this thread for 1+ mode 1 horizontal pixel scrolling. This works at 256x160 on a B/B+ or 320x256 on a Master/Compact. You might also be able to do it at 50fps in software like my Scramble.
Last edited by tricky on Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.