BBC Basic Windows question

Discuss all aspects of programming here. From 8-bit through to modern architectures.
pixelblip

BBC Basic Windows question

Post by pixelblip » Thu May 10, 2018 11:17 am

Hi there
Sorry for not posting this on the BBC Basic forum as I am often here....!

May I ask - is it possible to read a webcam from BBC basic.....I want it to look at a piece of paper and see what my hands and fingers are doing then trigger things.........I just wouldn't know if this was possible or what to use......had a good idea yesterday..........

It would be handy as I have an Imac now with a webcam so I'm so keen to try this out.

Thanks for your help.

Richard Russell

Re: BBC Basic Windows question

Post by Richard Russell » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:23 am

pixelblip wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:17 am
May I ask - is it possible to read a webcam from BBC basic
Certainly you can in BBC BASIC for Windows, and there have been a few examples published over the years (I can hunt them out if you are interested). However you refer in your question to an iMac so are you actually running Windows or MacOS? In the latter case I think it's likely to be difficult and may be achievable only by writing a 'helper' program in Objective C.

I've seen suggestions that SDL 2.0 could usefully acquire a webcam/video input capability and if that were to come about it could make the task much more straightforward using BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0, but currently it's just a possibility. The closest anybody has come, as far as I'm aware, is this cross-platform video capture library.

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:46 pm

Thanks Richard.
I was using an Imac before so that's why I was asking.
I had an idea of writing a program that would detect where fingers were on a piece of paper in front of the computer so you could use the paper like a touchscreen. Pretty ambitious I know....it would have been simple though.....if you are in X square or the square is detected with a break then do an action.....I was going to use BBC Basic as it's the easiest thing to write anything in!
Last edited by pixelblip on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:58 pm

pixelblip wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:46 pm
I was using an Imac before so that's why I was asking...
I was going to use BBC Basic as it's the easiest thing to write anything in!
I'm still a little confused about what OS you are running. If it's Windows then definitely you can capture the webcam in BBC BASIC, if it's MacOS then realistically you probably can't at the moment.

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Sorry Richard.....at the time I was on an Imac but since have moved to windows for a bit......the Imac is very convenient with speakers and webcam built in......not that this is a problem on windows of course. It's interesting you can access the webcam from BBC Basic in Windows.....hmmmm.
Last edited by pixelblip on Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.