How do you save a screen

Discuss all aspects of programming here. From 8-bit through to modern architectures.
FourthStone

Re: How do you save a screen

Post by FourthStone » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:17 pm

:shock: =D>

Gorgeous, just superb!

We're just heading into Autumn on this side of the world so this picture gives me something to dream about during the long cold months ahead :wink:

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:42 pm

Oh cheers. We will have to get that Citadel picture done still and others finished!
I started this on the tablet which was interesting. It's not really accurate enough for 1 pixel work so went back to the mouse as well.

I kept seeing this tree everyday in the road full of blossom.
It's imprinted in my mind.
I didn't take a photo of it.....just the photo in my mind. Those are the best photos aren't they :)

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Beautiful! :D

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:31 pm

Heath
Attachments
Heath.jpg

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:54 pm

Had a tinker before bed.
When there's a rainbow you get dark clouds don't you......so here I put that right :)
It makes the kite stand out against the sky. Night!
Attachments
heath dark clouds.jpg
Last edited by pixelblip on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

danielj

Post by danielj » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:57 pm

=D>

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:29 pm

Oh wow, I don't know how you do it but i'm glad you do =D>

I tried to draw a rainbow a couple of times but you manage to get the shading just right.

Very impressive, love it :D

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:49 pm

I started Citadel Fourthstone.
We shall see how it goes! Wasn't sure what to draw for this.........the logo is iconic really isn't it....
I keep thinking of that speech at the start whenever I think of this game. It was amazing the first time I head the Beeb talk!
Attachments
HNI_0004.JPG

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Oooooh, I like the robe guy, looking forward to see how it comes out :o

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:02 pm

So far.....
Attachments
c8.jpg

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:02 pm

Wow! :shock:

That's worthy of a game cover right there, fantastic effort =D>

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:46 am

"CITADEL CITADEL CITADEL CITADEL" :)
Attachments
cit6.jpg

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Hey you added the game ghost and our fav little hero :D

It's looking amazing pixel =D>

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Thank you Fourthstone. Finally did that Citadel picture eh :lol:
I can remember playing it for the first time................so colourful......whether it amazed me more at the time than than Jet Set Willy..........

If you do decide to come back to ART for a bit then I will make some ( hopefully small) suggestions......whether the appetite is there to keep working on this is another matter! :lol: At some stage I am going to have to take this over from you and get stuck into some code!

2 things that would be great are .....1) If somehow the brush keyboard buffer could clear so one does
n't end up spraying dots all over the place. It's not the end of the world (as we now have an undo) but it often happens.
Of course this could be down to the fact you have implemented undo after every stroke......so sorry if this is the case.
I find if I don't to a deliberate click at the end of painting a colour and I whizz my mouse across the screen to the top menu I feel like Bugsy Malone spraying 8 bit bullets all over my latest masterpiece!

The second thing I find would be useful is if for example you had a way of using the keyboard to increase or decrease a colour. So if you pressed R and + it would add more Red to the shade and R - it would take away.
This way you could quickly grade shades as you are painting without having to go continually back to the palette every time.
I could ask for lots more but I won't! For now it's enough to do some nice paintings of which I will do some more!

The Citadel pic turned out well.......there is a nice boldness and brightness of colour to it. It reminds me a lot of Amstrad CPC colour.........it really jumps out at you.

I need to finish my Star Wars pic next and then my nuclear wastedump picture with all it's rainbow colours in it......

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:53 am

Hey Pixel,

For change #1, is this a keyboard issue or is it when the mouse moves off the emulator while still clicking and when moving the mouse back to ART it still thinks the mouse is clicked? Are you using the keyboard hotkeys for drawing and then when moving the mouse back it draws with the mouse?

I'll see if I can do some testing but let me know under what conditions this happens, I suspect it's when the mouse leaves the emulator but I need more info if possible. I can only make this issue happen when I have the mouse button clicked and I leave the emulator screen, when the mouse comes back it is still drawing due to a possible bug with Beebem not resetting the mouse click when the mouse leaves the window.

For change #2, would being able to cycle through the current pattern and current colour be enough? Or do you want to be able to change the current colour and apply that to the current pattern and then be able to also cycle through each pattern for the current colour?

The first option would be easy to do as we just need a '+' and '-' hotkey to change the current pattern for the current colour. e.g. If the current pattern is Green and the current colour is Red then pressing '+/-' will cycle through the patterns for Green with the amount of Red:
ART_Menu01.jpg
The other option is to have hotkeys for also cycling the current colour and the current pattern, this would be possible but it would be easy to lose track of which colour and pattern are currently selected as there are about 672 different colour and pattern combinations. Let me have a bit more of a think about this one as I need to work it out logically to see what is possible to program and maybe have some sort of indicator so you know which pattern / colour is selected...

It's almost going back to what you had with your original program having the patterns and colours showing in the border :o

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:48 am

Hi Fourthstone.
Thanks for getting back to me.

This spraying of paint occurs when you are inside the window and not having left the emulator at all.

It's almost like the mouse button buffer needs a flush.
I tend to hold down the paint and drag (with the mouse not with the keyboard - I will check with the keyboard to see if it's the same). Sometimes when I have let go off the mouse button the paint still gets painted......I have to almost to a double click on the mouse button for it to stop.

For change 2 - I can think of a way around this (quite elegantly)....if you press the number pad 1-7 that selects the colour then Plus and minus on the Numpad would go up and down the current palette.

Cheers.....I'll have a play today to see if keyboard vs mouse makes a difference.

Ahh yes I suppose you are right ( going back to the original!) - sometimes you don't always know how things will work in practise until you try them.
Having the palette selector is still the main way of picking colours.....your beautiful palette!

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:56 am

Hey Pixel,

It's weird as I can't replicate the drawing issue while using the mouse, it just seems to work so just wondering if there's something different you're doing while drawing that I can fix as I can't seem to break it.
For change 2 - I can think of a way around this (quite elegantly)....if you press the number pad 1-7 that selects the colour then Plus and minus on the Numpad would go up and down the current palette.
Happy to do this, it will mean losing ability to change brush size while drawing with mouse but should be fine I'm guessing?

Also this will let you change the current colour and the current pattern but not to select a different palette colour as we'd need another toggle to select this as well... there's three variables that select current colour, pattern colour and current pattern.

I'll see what I can code up this week.

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:56 am

Thanks a lot Fourthstone. I hope my requests aren't driving you nuts!

I think you are right about one thing.......the spraying of paint is occurring when you leave the emulator window.
I probably inadvertently didn't realise I was doing it as I got close to the edge of the picture whilst holding the mouse button down. Apologies. There's not much you can do about that I guess...........I will have to put it into full screen mode and see if that makes a difference.

At some point I will have to get a BBC Master (which will mean the spraying issue won't occur) ......the thing is about emulators is that you can save to Google Drive with Save States - that is a much more preferable option when producing pictures as they can take a long time to do and it's nice to have a cloud backup ( and multiple backups) ! It also makes posting the final image to the web much quicker just being able to capture the screen as a jpeg.
To think in the old days I'd take pics of my Archimedes screens and develop photos of them ! :) We take outputting jpegs for granted now!

As for the hotkeys....I see what you are saying.........it's very nice to be able to press a key on the keyboard to change the size of the brush........(in fact I use that all the time) ....so hows about we use - and + on the keybad to go up and down the current colour chart w- I can select the base colours via the palette.....

Thank you for your help......don't spend time on it if it becomes a chore as sometimes projects can get like that after a while.....I do understand.

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:56 am

Updated version of ART coming right at ya!

Couple of changes as per recent discussions, not sure if they are useful of not so please test and let me know if we can tweak to improve. There's only so many ways I can tune the colours and patterns with hot keys so see how it goes and please provide feedback :shock:

So here is a rough guide to changes made, these can be used while drawing with the mouse button:
* Keys 1-8 change the current selected colour (still not sure about this effect)
* '-' and '+' will cycle through the current pattern, this works quite well and it makes some nice shades
* '[' and ']' will change the draw size up and down, not as dynamic as using 1-8 but still quite useful to change the drawing size

Have a play and see what you think?
Attachments
ART.zip
(5.33 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:56 am

Oh wow thanks Fourthstone...........that is really good of you.....especially with Easter coming up - will have some more time to do a few pics.

I am going to start to try and digest your code over the holidays as I would like to take this off your hands eventually.....so I will start to try to get my head around it.

I will report back ....thanks again ok.
Mike

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:21 am

pixelblip wrote:I am going to start to try and digest your code over the holidays as I would like to take this off your hands eventually.....so I will start to try to get my head around it.

I will report back ....thanks again ok.
Mike
You might need more than the holidays, my code has become a little spaghetti-fied :lol:

I started getting out of memory errors with the latest changes so I had to rationalise things a bit... at some stage I'd love to turn the whole thing into a machine code driven speed demon of a drawing program. Step by step as they say :wink:

If you are looking at the code, please do let me know if you have any questions or suggestions, this thing has sort of morphed and grown and so I have a little trouble remembering why I did things a certain way without doing my own studying :-k

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:49 am

All that is great.....being able to use the keys to go up or down through the shades is very good ( and thanks for putting the brush size keys in there).

Of course sometimes one wants to just pick visually so it's a combination of keys n palette.....and the palette is vital when I use my tablet ( keys won't work)

That would be an interesting project ( to turn it in to machine code ) and quite a challenge.....I can imagine you would hit many brick walls along the way.....but it's good practise isn't it.

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Mon May 01, 2017 8:34 am

It's May Day......what a luxury to have a day in bed. Lots of Morris dancers out today and dancing round the Maypole! In the rain :x :lol:

Started a Spacestation Doodle today......not done a pic in a while......here's the start
Attachments
planet3.jpg

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Tue May 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Slowly but surely coming on........
Painting with the mouse is so hard!
My tablets are ok but not really fast enough.......the windows 8 tablets I tried are fast enough but feature a capacitive screen so you have to use a jot pro ( which isn't really good enough for painting with Beeb apps - just not accurate enough).

I was thinking if only someone could design a dedicated BBC micro tablet like the Nintendo DS which folds up into a clamshell.......and let's you paint on one screen and pick colours or another......all in BBC micro format.........wow that would be really cool for old retro artists.....
Attachments
P2.jpg

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Tue May 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Looks great! =D>

When I squint my eyes all the dithering turn into gorgeous shades, you really have a great eye for putting the right pattern and colour in the right place.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue May 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Very nice!

Maybe extend the panorama onto a second screen to the right..?

:?:

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Tue May 02, 2017 9:04 pm

It's more because of the fact you can paint onto a screen rather than extend it Lurkio.
The Nintendo ds feels very nice to paint on.....the texture of the screen with the pen is just right.

It's nice and small so fits in your pocket.
It folds up. So is protected. Has not to bad battery life for its size.
If only a BBC emulator existed for that device!

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Wed May 03, 2017 7:06 am

Sorry Lurkio I misunderstood you! I see what you you mean now. Hmmm it would be interesting

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Thu May 18, 2017 7:16 pm

SpaceStation
Attachments
ss.jpg

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Thu May 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Gorgeous =D>

Really loving the deep purple highlights.