How do you save a screen

Discuss all aspects of programming here. From 8-bit through to modern architectures.
FourthStone

Re: How do you save a screen

Post by FourthStone » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:33 am

Looking great, look forward to the beebification :D

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:32 am

This one is going to be far out! :lol:
That line tool will be much appreciated when it comes.....trying to draw with the mouse isn't the easiest..... :D
Attachments
City new.jpg

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:12 pm

This one is also going well so far.............all those lovely shades and dithers...........
I will post them up for now half finished incase I don't get them done today....I hope it encourages everyone to keep plugging away as well :)
Attachments
win.jpg

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Never quite know if I consider them finished - but this has turned out alright I reckon.
Night!
Attachments
Speaker 2.jpg

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:52 am

These are very cool, keep 'em coming =D>

Getting close to releasing the next revision of ART (unofficial name), tidying up a few bits of code and looking to have it ready tomorrow sometime for you to try out, hoping it will be useful for your amazing artwork [-o<

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks Fourthstone.........yeh so far I've been lucky as they've turned out ok..........I think it's a bit of luck sometimes not just pixel skill :lol:
and thank you for your work......

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:17 am

Hey all, here is the latest revision of ART.
ART.zip
(4.22 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
To Use:
* Configure BeebEm hardware for Master 128
* Configure BeebEm options to enable Analogue Mousestick
* Mount the attached SSD
* Turn off write protect if you want to save to disk
* Type CHAIN"ART"

Help screen explains most functions but there are still a few bugs (or features!) so let me know if something can be done better.

Couple of things:
* Bug1: The fill routine stalls or goes slow for patterns with black in them, probably something to do with background colours.
* Selecting a pattern in the colour menu makes the menu close.
* Still thinking of doing an asm mouse drawing routine eventually (thanks for the code Tricky! Still getting other bits working at the moment)
* Need additional menu panel for save / load / options
* General clean up of variables and code required
* Line drawing needs a re-think but works semi-ok for now
* Still thinking about shape drawing, maybe next revision
* While clicking mouse to draw, buttons 1-4 can be used to dynamically change pen size
* Switching colours in menu is now fast, might move other menu drawing to ASM in future release
* 4 patterns can be selected for use with QWER, ASDF, ZXCV, pattern 1 can also be used by itself if preferred, just don't use the hot keys for P2,P3 & P4

Have fun and let me know what you think, I really want to know if the program is useful or not :D

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:44 am

Oh wow ........thanks so much Fourthstone. Lots of good ideas in there! I will report back.

It has been the best January I can remember! :lol: =D>

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:52 am

Loving that Mode 7 logo and help screen. Good choice of keyboard letters for commands!

That palette is a work on art in itself. It's brilliant!

I will post my thoughts in a day or two after having a go. Super stuff Fourthstone =D>

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:05 am

The brush painting with the mouse is now fluid.......that is a job well done everyone.
Oh time to go to work. Difficult to leave the house in the freezingcold when all I wanna do is sit here and have a go on this :lol:

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:59 pm

After using it a bit here's a couple of suggestions............but minor things....I am sure you already are thinking about stuff without more stuff!

It would be good to be able to load a picture at the start (even if you start it and it comes up load picture YN). Or some way of loading a picture....
I can be useful as sometimes it's nice to sketch something on paper then load it in to work on it some more........

Also it would be nice if you could select even bigger brushes (say keys 5-0).......and also an eraser tool or key on the keyboard.

One thing I really like is the patterns and being able to paint with 4 different tones and switch quickly between them.
It means you can shade objects much easier going from dark to light . That is very old skool like half toning ZX Spectrum painting.

I expect you need a break from it now ......
I am going do a picture for you that will make you smile ........I was laughing today thinking about it on my bike on the way to work ....I will pay homage to 'ART' :wink:

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Sorry I see you can insert a load screen option ( I thought it was all machine code )......so I can get cracking on 'ART' :)

Just to say it's really great.........best paint package I've used yet!

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Yep the 'L' button loads a file named TEMP, this is the same as the original version you wrote :) I tried to keep most of the functions of your original but have tried to hopefully enhance or logically shift some the operations... hmmm makes sense in my head anyway :D I've been thinking of putting in a load and save menu option so we could actually browse for a file to load :wink:

There is also an erase function by selecting the solid colour black from the colour menu you can use it to draw at the current brush size so you could assign it to one of the brushes say P4 and always have it available... OR... I could permanently assign black if you like and use it with 'T,G,B' for line, fill & block like the other keys?

Bigger brushes are a snap, I'll put this in today :lol: Plus the bulk of the program is still written in Basic, so it would be fairly simple for anyone to change it to their requirements :mrgreen:

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Yes sorry Forthstone I see that now.........that is great.............as it's still in basic I could modify it...
I am surprised you got as far as you did with my awful code! :lol:

Being able to paint just 1 pixel wide would also be good...as the smallest brush is still a few pixels wide.

I still can't get over how good that palette is. It is a joy to behold. Well done! =D>

I am doing my picture now.........I suppose it might be a kind of cover or loading screen............I am going to take my time with this one .....as a thank you .... :D

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:22 am

Thanks for the feedback, this has been a great project so far and it's been good working towards making a fun and usable program.
Being able to paint just 1 pixel wide would also be good...as the smallest brush is still a few pixels wide
What about if the keys 1-0 are the pixel width of the block and line draw function? 1=1 pixel, 2=2pixels wide... 0=10 pixels wide, I think that will work and makes logical sense as well... will look at that today. While still thinking logically (can't help it 8) ) odd number widths will be centered on the mouse cursor but even number widths will be offset by one pixel... hmm left or right or random... right it is!
I still can't get over how good that palette is. It is a joy to behold. Well done! =D>
Thank you :D Took me long enough to realize what you were after but once it sank in to my sometimes thick head I think it came out ok \:D/

...BUT... I've been thinking maybe I can put a little bit extra in for the palette as there are so many possible combinations of patterns that could potentially be used...

In the soon to be realised options menu, I reckon a custom pattern tool to allow the user (you!) to create 4 custom patterns would be very handy. Will have a play around with possible ways to do this.

Looking forward to your next Master (pun intended) piece :-o

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Look.............
It's a Master ...painting a Master :lol: \:D/
Attachments
art final.jpg
Last edited by pixelblip on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:20 pm

Wow :o

That is really cool! The way you do the colour shading is amazing, the blues and brown (brown on a beeb!) especially pop out to my eye, all of it is quite good really and loving that jacket :mrgreen:

Would love to see someone use your art in a demo of sorts, thinking pulsing tune and some great art work you've done somehow animated or transitioned onto the screen. Wonder if anyone on the forum is up for it?

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:38 pm

=D> at all of this - it's excellent!

d.

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:50 pm

It's all been quite a surreal experience for me :lol: :wink:

tricky

Post by tricky » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:13 pm

I've said it several times before and I'll keep on saying it: Artists are, well, artists :lol: and quite amazing =D>

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:24 pm

pixelblip wrote:Look............. It's a Master ...painting a Master :lol: \:D/
Did you seriously draw that using a mouse in BeebEm?!

:shock: =D> =D> =D>

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:33 am

I hope you can all make out that is an acorn in the picture..........from little acorns might oaks grow..........this program has, hasn't it!
Just amended it a bit this morning at 5.30am ......keep seeing little mistakes. An artist's work is never done. :lol:

I might have to do a tribute to Citadel next Forthstone as I can see you are a fan :)
Last edited by pixelblip on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:28 am

pixelblip wrote:I hope you can all make out that is an acorn in the picture.....
Melting Beebs! Brilliant. You should definitely do a larger version of that "painting"-within-the-drawing!

[-o<

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:03 pm

Mysterious Planet
Attachments
Mysterious Planet.jpg
Last edited by pixelblip on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:04 pm

I've just seen I grabbed the cursor accidentally. Accidents are part of art. So it will become a distant star :lol:

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 am

What a beautiful planet scene :D I really can appreciate how much effort it must be to paint these pictures with the mouse, I've had a go at drawing a few things and usually give up in frustration after about 15 minutes. My hat off to you sir =D>

ART update is coming soon, just trying to make a few tidy ups and getting a second menu working... hitting the same out of memory messages so RAM must be really full, I am looking at compiling the machine code and *LOADing it instead of having the listing in the main program, should allow for some other features to be added like the file menu.

I also need to tune the line drawing routine, my mind is failing me on the math for some reason, will have another look tomorrow. I want to calculate the ends of the lines to be at right angles to the line itself, will nut it out slowly as usual ](*,)

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:17 pm

I really need to try and get ART working with my little XP tablet rather than my mouse.........drawing with a pen would make it so much more accurate as I wobble all over the place. I did try once but it didn't seem to run well on my netbook Atom device.

That is great you still are plugging away. It's easy to lose momentum when a project is first started......so thank you ....

I will have to recruit some more Mode 2 artists from somewhere :)

One thing I have noticed you might be able to squish (or someone else) is that often the brush keeps painting even though you think it''s not.....it doesn't always get released ( I think it's when you press a key on the keyboard ). It's not a big deal but it means when you whizz the mouse across the screen it is still painting and you get splatters all over the screen.

Another useful thing would be if backed up the screen when you start painting. Sometimes I go to Undo and realise I haven''t pressed TAB in ages.....so it takes me right back to the start............

If you run out of steam with this project I do understand as life is busy!
This whole thing has made me think shall I get a BBC Master and AMX mouse for old times sake...............hehhehe :D

PS Sorry if I keep adding to the list......I am sure you have enough to do with saving memory and working out the line drawing.

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:46 pm

Just wanna show everyone again how briliant Fourthstone's palette is! The way it comes up so quickly when you press a key is great.
I am grateful to everyone in this post to has helped us along the path.

I hope to do some more pictures soon and finish off ones I have started and not finished ( a trait of mine)....anyway here is that brilliant palette ! :D
Attachments
Palette.jpg

FourthStone

Post by FourthStone » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:02 pm

One thing I have noticed you might be able to squish (or someone else) is that often the brush keeps painting even though you think it''s not.....it doesn't always get released ( I think it's when you press a key on the keyboard
I've noticed that when holding down the mouse to draw and if the mouse button is released when the mouse leaves the emulator window, the program thinks that the button is still pressed when moving the mouse back to the emulator window. I'll do some tests to see if I can detect when the mouse leaves the emulator window but my gut feel is that it is a bug with the mouse emulation code in beebem :?
Another useful thing would be if backed up the screen when you start painting
I could do this but there'd be a delay for every draw action and a one action undo limits. For mouse drawing I could backup up the screen when the mouse is first clicked, for the other tools it would be a similar thing, call the backup code before drawing starts. There would be an approx. 1 second delay every time draw was pressed due to copying the whole screen to sideways ram. And if the mouse was accidentally clicked again then that would overwrite the previous undo.

The backup/undo would be one move back only, there isn't enough RAM to do multiple backups, so the undo would only ever be to undo the last drawing action.

Does this sound ok and still useful? Let me know and I'll include it in the next release.

I still think the palette can be improved a lot, I might need the help of a proper programmer to help with the palette routine, any takers out there interested? I basically need a generic ASM routine that can pump out a lot of multiple colour patterns based on a memory array of predefined patterns. I've already got some idea's for how to store the pattern data but my asm skills are lacking in implementing something generic and fast.

pixelblip

Post by pixelblip » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:07 pm

We could try the undo that way and see if it works. Thanks. The mouse drawing prob isn't the end of the world if it's a consequence of using an Emulator
I am so tempted to get a real BBC Master now :D That and a Microvitec Rgb monitor and Amx mouse.
Having save states in Beebem though is very useful. Hmmmm. Food for thought.