Using a Mac or PC for BBC games authoring

bbc micro/electron/atom/risc os coding queries and routines
davidb

Re: Using a Mac or PC for BBC games authoring

Post by davidb » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:02 pm

It looks like BA5 is still available. ;)

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Well, here are some possibilities for a new filename extension for tokenised Acorn-format BBC BASIC files that I just dreamt up.

Everyone, please feel free to comment on them:

.chn (short for CHAIN)
.chain
.bbc8 (BBC 8-bit)
.bb8 (droid appeal)
.bbcacorn
.acornbasic
.E00 (old school)

:?:

Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:33 pm

davidb wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:02 pm
Haha, very good! A bit too easily mistaken for BAS methinks. :lol:

Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:37 pm

lurkio wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm
Well, here are some possibilities for a new filename extension for tokenised Acorn-format BBC BASIC files that I just dreamt up.
The format is also used by ARM BASIC, of course (indeed all of Sophie's BASICs from 1 to 6), so probably we don't want to tie it too closely to the 6502 machines.

davidb

Post by davidb » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:36 pm

Richard Russell wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:33 pm
davidb wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:02 pm
Haha, very good! A bit too easily mistaken for BAS methinks. :lol:
That was the idea. :twisted:

Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:32 pm

davidb wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:36 pm
That was the idea. :twisted:
More easily distinguished in lowercase I suppose: .bas, .ba5

sa_scott

Post by sa_scott » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi all,

Thank you for all the recent posts. I'm having to write this in a hurry, as I have to leap onto something urgent.

having managed to get an SSD image working on WIndows, I have almost got it on the Mac.

I can't seem to get BeebEm or b2 to automatically reload the disc. In the case of BeebEm on the Mac, I get an error:

"The document “droid.ssd” could not be opened. BeebEm5 cannot open files in the “DocumentType” format."

I'm wondering what else I can do here. I'll need to read the thread properly in any case, but am currently stuck at this point.

Thanks in advance!
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Professional
www.sassquad.net

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:25 pm

I don't know how to work an Apple Mackintosh, I think you have to have the brainpower of Stephen Fry or Douglas Adams to do that, but that error sounds like the filetype extension hasn't been registered with a default application to open it. If that sort of system exists on Apples that is.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:35 pm

lurkio wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Everyone, please feel free to comment on them:

.chn (short for CHAIN)
.chain
.bbc8 (BBC 8-bit)
.bb8 (droid appeal)
.bbcacorn
.acornbasic
.E00 (old school)

How about .abas?

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:07 pm

BigEd wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:35 pm
How about .abas?
I'm not so keen on any extensions that include or imply "bas" (as opposed to the complete word "basic") -- I'm talking about extenions like ".abas" or ".BA5" -- because to me ".bas" suggests that the file contains BASIC source-code in the form of plain text (thanks to established precedent), rather than tokenised BASIC.

But that's just my opinion. Feel free to ignore it!

Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:48 pm

lurkio wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:07 pm
But that's just my opinion. Feel free to ignore it!
I share it. I'd prefer to avoid an extension including 'bas'.

Trying a few possibilities at filext.com, .abb (Acorn BBC BASIC) appears not to be currently allocated to anything (and is marked as obsolete at file-extensions.org). Does that appeal?

IanS

Post by IanS » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:58 pm

BeebMaster wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:25 pm
I think you have to have the brainpower of Stephen Fry
So not much brainpower? https://www.theregister.com/2011/01/18/stephen_frytard/

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:10 pm

Richard Russell wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:48 pm
Trying a few possibilities at filext.com, .abb (Acorn BBC BASIC) appears not to be currently allocated to anything (and is marked as obsolete at file-extensions.org). Does that appeal?
Seems fine to me!

:idea:

tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:24 pm

sa_scott wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:33 pm
having managed to get an SSD image working on WIndows, I have almost got it on the Mac.

I can't seem to get BeebEm or b2 to automatically reload the disc. In the case of BeebEm on the Mac, I get an error:

"The document “droid.ssd” could not be opened. BeebEm5 cannot open files in the “DocumentType” format."

I'm wondering what else I can do here. I'll need to read the thread properly in any case, but am currently stuck at this point.
If you direct b2 to open the disk image as a so-called "direct" disk image, it will reopen the image file for every byte. Any changes you make in BeebAsm will be immediately visible to the emulated Beeb (and, conversely, any changes you make in the emulated Beeb will be immediately reflected in the disk image contents). So no need to reload the disk - just switch to b2 and do a Shift+Break or whatever.

This works pretty well, but the "direct" wording isn't very clear - I hope to tidy this up at some point.

Regarding double clicking in Explorer or Finder, I never do this with Beeb stuff, so b2 really doesn't support this very well at all. You can - probably - I've never tried! - configure Finder or Explorer to run b2, but I suspect you'll get a new copy of b2 for every disk you click, which is silly. There's a open GitHub issue about this, so it won't get forgotten: https://github.com/tom-seddon/b2/issues/117

--Tom

sa_scott

Post by sa_scott » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm

tom_seddon wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:24 pm
sa_scott wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:33 pm

If you direct b2 to open the disk image as a so-called "direct" disk image, it will reopen the image file for every byte. Any changes you make in BeebAsm will be immediately visible to the emulated Beeb (and, conversely, any changes you make in the emulated Beeb will be immediately reflected in the disk image contents). So no need to reload the disk - just switch to b2 and do a Shift+Break or whatever.

This works pretty well, but the "direct" wording isn't very clear - I hope to tidy this up at some point.

Regarding double clicking in Explorer or Finder, I never do this with Beeb stuff, so b2 really doesn't support this very well at all. You can - probably - I've never tried! - configure Finder or Explorer to run b2, but I suspect you'll get a new copy of b2 for every disk you click, which is silly. There's a open GitHub issue about this, so it won't get forgotten: https://github.com/tom-seddon/b2/issues/117

--Tom
Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Something to bear in mind.

I still need to work on the !Boot file issue, having read other posts in this thread, it's still clear as mud as to what I'm supposed to do. This really needs a deliberately verbose explanation as to how this works. Ideal for someone who can only spend 5-10 minutes testing this during 'family' time. :lol:
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Professional
www.sassquad.net

Return to “programming”