Elementum - new Elk/Beeb platformer

developing/porting a new game or gaming framework? post in here!
User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:21 pm

Update: version 0.16, works on Electron and Beeb. Five levels. Download disk or tape image from original post.
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

User avatar
lurkio
Posts: 3138
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 am
Location: Doomawangara
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by lurkio » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:35 pm

0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:21 pm
Update: version 0.16, works on Electron and Beeb. Five levels. Download disk or tape image from original post.
A quick URL hack for playing the Beeb version in your browser:

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/jsbeeb/play.php# ... =&autoboot

:idea:

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:41 pm

lurkio wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:35 pm
0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:21 pm
Update: version 0.16, works on Electron and Beeb. Five levels. Download disk or tape image from original post.
A quick URL hack for playing the Beeb version in your browser:

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/jsbeeb/play.php# ... =&autoboot

:idea:
Great, thanks! =D>
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro


User avatar
Arcadian
Site Admin
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by Arcadian » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:03 pm

0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:21 pm
Update: version 0.16, works on Electron and Beeb. Five levels. Download disk or tape image from original post.
:shock: What happened to v0.15? (I've been 'collecting' all the releases! :lol: )
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Arcadian wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:03 pm
0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:21 pm
Update: version 0.16, works on Electron and Beeb. Five levels. Download disk or tape image from original post.
:shock: What happened to v0.15? (I've been 'collecting' all the releases! :lol: )
:lol: That version only exists in my GitHub. It's the same as 0.16 minus Beeb support
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

User avatar
picosonic
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by picosonic » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:11 pm

0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:21 pm
Update: version 0.16, works on Electron and Beeb. Five levels. Download disk or tape image from original post.

A quick URL hack for playing the Beeb version in your browser
Looks fantastic, plays just as well on the Beeb - good work sir

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:29 pm

picosonic wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:11 pm
0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:21 pm
Update: version 0.16, works on Electron and Beeb. Five levels. Download disk or tape image from original post.

A quick URL hack for playing the Beeb version in your browser
Looks fantastic, plays just as well on the Beeb - good work sir
Thank you so much Jasper!
This made me wonder. Does anybody know another game that plays exactly the same on Elk and Beeb?
Not slower, not faster, not smaller, not......
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

User avatar
kieranhj
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:11 pm
Location: Farnham, Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by kieranhj » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:18 pm

Great work, as ever! It is super-smooth and responsive. The coyote time jumping is absolutely essential and become a gameplay feature I see.

If I was going to be critical then I would say that the collision detection is a bit too coarse at the moment. Would it be possible to make this pixel-perfect? Thrust does this by checking whether the EOR draw to the screen results in any pixels being plotted that aren't the expected colour. Obviously that's a bit more challenging in MODE 4, particularly when you want to jump through the platforms. (Incidentally Thrust has quite an unusual sprite plot routine that plots just one pixel at a time to give the impression of line-drawn graphics.)

For example, if the centre of the player is just one pixel shy of the end of platform then jumping vertically doesn't move you to the platform above. It's a tough call that one, as the character is round, should you be able to 'stand' on the end of a platform beyond your centre of mass?

Another situation where I found the box-based collision detection frustrating - collecting that damn '1' bit in the bottom right of the screen on level 5. :D If you fast-jump from the nearby platform on the below left, the player will pass through the '1' but not collect it. #-o

Finally, I found the regular jump a little 'underpowered' and spent most of my time fast-jumping with SHIFT+RETURN held down. Is there any gameplay benefit to having the smaller jump?

I don't want this to come across as being overly negative - it's a really great piece of work and the controls are much more fun & fluid than any other platformer that I've seen on the Beeb/Elk. It's been on my list to do something like this for ages but I feel you have scratched that itch for me! It would be great to really push the gameplay so it feels as modern as possible, given the constraints of the 8-bit system. Keep it up. 8)
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:59 pm

That's great feedback, Kieran, thank you. Most of these have caught my attention as well. Some are easily fixed, some are intentional, and others are undecided. Now that I have a basic cross platform version I can focus on making it better
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

User avatar
roland
Posts: 4187
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:29 pm
Location: Born (NL)
Contact:

Re: New Elk platformer - playable demo

Post by roland » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:17 pm

0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:59 pm
Now that I have a basic cross platform version I can focus on making it better
Waiting for an Atom version as well ..... :-
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:19 pm

roland wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:17 pm
0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:59 pm
Now that I have a basic cross platform version I can focus on making it better
Waiting for an Atom version as well ..... :-
Who knows, Roland!
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

Marvin
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: New Elk platformer - playable demo

Post by Marvin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:08 pm

roland wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:24 pm
Marvin wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:50 pm
Yeah I was being lazy and playing on Elkulator, I'll have to use my Arc to write a floppy disc and try it on my actual Elk instead.
You can also buy an Electron WiFi card so you can simply download the game from a web server. No hassle with floppy discs any more :mrgreen:
As nice as the WiFi card is I won't be getting one, my interests lie in only kit that existed back in the day or modern re-creations of said kit. For example awhile ago I built myself a couple of those userport micro-sd card storage thingies but I gave up on them and went back to floppies as the magic was missing.

I've built myself a serial port for my Elk that I'm happy using at 2400baud, sure it could go faster but then I'd loose the nostalgia factor. :D

Marvin
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by Marvin » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:06 am

Loving the latest version with 5 levels, timing some of the jumps is really hard. Oh to have the fast reactions I used to have as a teenager again....

I notice the "Esc" option to quit the current game only works when the game is paused, is that by design or a oversight ?

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:27 am

Marvin wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:06 am
Loving the latest version with 5 levels, timing some of the jumps is really hard. Oh to have the fast reactions I used to have as a teenager again....

I notice the "Esc" option to quit the current game only works when the game is paused, is that by design or a oversight ?
Glad you're enjoying it Marvin! I made a few tweaks to the levels since this version. And yes, pressing Escape to quit during Pause only is by design.
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

User avatar
MartinB
Posts: 5357
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: Obscurity
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by MartinB » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:35 am

Marvin wrote:....my interests lie in only kit that existed back in the day or modern re-creations of said kit. For example awhile ago I built myself a couple of those userport micro-sd card storage thingies but I gave up on them and went back to floppies as the magic was missing.

Yay! There are two of us! =D> =D> :D


There was nothing stopping UPURS being done back in the day other than I didn't think of it then! Makes floppies as easy as solid state but keeping all the tactile authenticity.... 8)

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:47 pm

lurkio wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:59 pm
0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:41 pm
Great, thanks!
This may be of interest:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19975&p=280861#p280861

:idea:
Thank you, very useful. I just created a demo level, created a link with your method and then shortened it for Twitter with TinyURL =D>

(Play it here: https://t.co/z0sQ00PBa2?amp=1)
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

nicolagiacobbe
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:40 am
Location: italy
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by nicolagiacobbe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:58 pm

Nice smooth game you have, excellent!
In case could be of interest. The keys don't work on b-em (v2.2) under linux. To be more accurate: the direction keys work but no turbo and pressing return stops the player's sprite so the only possible jump is upward.

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:03 pm

nicolagiacobbe wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:58 pm
Nice smooth game you have, excellent!
In case could be of interest. The keys don't work on b-em (v2.2) under linux. To be more accurate: the direction keys work but no turbo and pressing return stops the player's sprite so the only possible jump is upward.
Thanks for testing! That's interesting and weird at the same time. I did test in b-em on Windows, which works fine. I'm inclined to think this is an emulator issue specifically when run in Linux. I have no idea if anybody (if any) is working on that version though.
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

nicolagiacobbe
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:40 am
Location: italy
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by nicolagiacobbe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:24 pm

The keyboard issue makes me think there a limited key rollover in B-EM, why it should be so I have no idea, as this is not happening in Linux bar a few specialized applications (like screen f.e.).

Also tested the game with BeebEm 10.5 for windows under Wine and worked like a charm.

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:30 pm

nicolagiacobbe wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:24 pm
The keyboard issue makes me think there a limited key rollover in B-EM, why it should be so I have no idea, as this is not happening in Linux bar a few specialized applications (like screen f.e.).

Also tested the game with BeebEm 10.5 for windows under Wine and worked like a charm.
That's good to know. Thanks for figuring that out!
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

Marvin
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by Marvin » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:56 pm

Getting better, after a heck of a lot of practise....
Screenshot-3.png
Screenshot-3.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 813 times
I'm loving the pause feature as it let's me get the cramp out of my fingers after the 30 millionth attempt :D

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Marvin wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:56 pm
Getting better, after a heck of a lot of practise....

Screenshot-3.png

I'm loving the pause feature as it let's me get the cramp out of my fingers after the 30 millionth attempt :D
Well done! Now I am going to have to try to beat that. Hold my beer! :mrgreen:
Btw, try this version (0.17). Some tweaks here and there (collision detection, levels 3 and 5 a little easier, bug fixes, etc).


0xC0DE-nameless-game-demo-v0.17.ssd
(15.75 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
0xC0DE-nameless-game-demo-v0.17.uef
(17.33 KiB) Downloaded 14 times


Edit: I scored 726!

726.png
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

User avatar
roland
Posts: 4187
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:29 pm
Location: Born (NL)
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by roland » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:08 pm

0xC0DE wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Btw, try this version (0.17). Some tweaks here and there (collision detection, levels 3 and 5 a little easier, bug fixes, etc).
I am still struggling at level 2 :oops:
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:47 pm

roland wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:08 pm
0xC0DE wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Btw, try this version (0.17). Some tweaks here and there (collision detection, levels 3 and 5 a little easier, bug fixes, etc).
I am still struggling at level 2 :oops:
Come on Roland! :lol:
Have you discovered the turbo option (Shift key)?
You can do it!
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

User avatar
roland
Posts: 4187
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:29 pm
Location: Born (NL)
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by roland » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:16 pm

Yes, I know about the shift key. I am just horrible at games. I almost never pass level 3 of Snapper. But I almost always win from the computer when I play reversi (at easiest level) :lol:
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

Marvin
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by Marvin » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:36 am

roland wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:08 pm
0xC0DE wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Btw, try this version (0.17). Some tweaks here and there (collision detection, levels 3 and 5 a little easier, bug fixes, etc).
I am still struggling at level 2 :oops:
My preferred route...
.
Screenshot-4.png
.
.
Green is normal movement, Red is with TURBO.
The hard bit is the right-left swerve i've coloured in Blue.

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:40 am

roland wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:16 pm
Yes, I know about the shift key. I am just horrible at games. I almost never pass level 3 of Snapper. But I almost always win from the computer when I play reversi (at easiest level) :lol:
:lol:
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

User avatar
0xC0DE
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by 0xC0DE » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:41 am

Marvin wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:36 am
roland wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:08 pm
0xC0DE wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Btw, try this version (0.17). Some tweaks here and there (collision detection, levels 3 and 5 a little easier, bug fixes, etc).
I am still struggling at level 2 :oops:
My preferred route...
.
Screenshot-4.png
.
.
Green is normal movement, Red is with TURBO.
The hard bit is the right-left swerve i've coloured in Blue.
=D> Awesome! You should write the manual for my game! Or a walk through
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

Marvin
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:27 am
Contact:

Re: New Elk/Beeb platformer - playable demo

Post by Marvin » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:33 pm

0xC0DE wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:41 am
=D> Awesome! You should write the manual for my game! Or a walk through
:shock:

Post Reply

Return to “new projects in development: games”