New adventure game and BASIC framework (don’t expect a new Ravenswood)

Got a programming project in mind? Tell everyone about it!
Lardo Boffin

Re: New adventure game and BASIC framework (don’t expect a new Ravenswood)

Post by Lardo Boffin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:37 pm

As a guide without adventure specific code the program is about 5.2K and with the verbs etc. loaded for the Ransom adventure there is about 2.2K of heap used by variables / data.
I make that about 17K free for user code and additional verbs etc. on a beeb model B with DFS in mode 7.
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc

Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:43 pm

It sounds very interesting this system of yours. I was hoping to do a PAW for the BBC Micro myself, with graphics similar to TKV. Yours seems like it's got some of the right stuff and it's going the right way, I hope you do well LardoBoffin

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Pablos544 wrote:It sounds very interesting this system of yours. I was hoping to do a PAW for the BBC Micro myself, with graphics similar to TKV. Yours seems like it's got some of the right stuff and it's going the right way, I hope you do well LardoBoffin
Thanks. Graphic are not on my radar - I would not know where to start!
Hopefully I will be able to shrink the main program down and speed it up by replacing some of the stuff with machine code. That way if someone wanted to add graphics they could run it in a mode where that is possible. Although having seen some of the mode 7 artwork it could work right now!
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, Acorn 6502 coproc

Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:00 am

Lardo Boffin wrote:
Pablos544 wrote:Graphic are not on my radar - I would not know where to start!
Hopefully I will be able to shrink the main program down and speed it up by replacing some of the stuff with machine code. That way if someone wanted to add graphics they could run it in a mode where that is possible...
Might well be worth taking a look at this. Although my 6502 assembler skills are slightly non existent. I was always very partial to PAW, in my youth I made an Adventure Game sort of like TKV that easily could have been published had er.. things not got in the way of it. I actually really loved that system and see it as a long term goal to make it work on a BBC B with sideways RAM. As I said though my 6502 assembler skills are pretty well on the non-existent side, so I'm really hoping your BASIC/6502 is a bit better than mine and I'll definitely be checking out your code. Thanks Lardo Boffin

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:04 am

Lardo Boffin wrote:I have changed it to load the system messages into an array ...
Would it speed things up a bit more if you cached the current location-description in memory and then used the cache (instead of accessing the disc) if the player types LOOK when they haven't moved to a new location?

:?:

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:59 am

lurkio wrote:
Lardo Boffin wrote:I have changed it to load the system messages into an array ...
Would it speed things up a bit more if you cached the current location-description in memory and then used the cache (instead of accessing the disc) if the player types LOOK when they haven't moved to a new location?

:?:
It would but rooms are allowed any number of messages for their description (well, up to around 100) so it could in theory be caching a load of data.
It should be possoble to always cache the first one as I suspect most rooms will only have one or two.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Mon May 14, 2018 10:11 pm

I have finally managed to get to a beeb and install an SD card reader and it actually runs quite well! [-o< Certainly somewhat better than BeebEm which presumably more accurately reflects the disc drives of the day.