New game - tube type thingy

Got a programming project in mind? Tell everyone about it!
hexwab

Re: New game - tube type thingy

Post by hexwab » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:43 am

How about checking to see if the 4 pixels you're about to write are the same as what's already there? Currently you have constant 20 cycles for 4*STA abs,X. Doing

Code: Select all

CMP abs,X ; 4/5
BEQ skip ; 2/3
4*STA abs,X ; 20
.skip
and assuming you're crossing a page boundary half the time works out to 26.5 cycles if different and 7.5 if the same. That's a net win if only 35% of your pixels are the same. Cursory inspection of the video makes me think it's more than that. You'd need to do extra work to force plotting over sprites, of course.

I suspect this would be particularly effective over the Tube, if the parasite is indeed the bottleneck. You'd need a Tube-side copy of the current frame for reference, and hopefully you can arrange it such that you can use zero or bit 7 as a "no need to plot" sentinel:

LDA $fee1
BMI skip
4*STA abs,X
.skip
Other ideas include a Thrust-style scanlines effect by plotting only alternate lines.

Keep up the good work!

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:07 am

Wow! =D> If this does become a playable game, I'm gonna have to be careful that I don't get motion sickness!

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 pm

hexwab wrote:How about checking to see if the 4 pixels you're about to write are the same as what's already there?
Ooh, good catch! Just implemented this on the single processor version. While it doesn't quite fit into 3 frames with sprites onscreen, it does keep a nice stable 4 frames now. Overplotting the sprites wasn't too difficult - I'm now setting bit 7 in every byte the sprites touch, which will be seen as 'changed' by the tube plotter. It does need to do some cleanup when the top of a sprite isn't aligned with a tube pixel, but that's not too difficult.

Not sure how much use this will be over the Tube - I think you meant to say 'if the _host_ is indeed the bottleneck'? If the parasite is the bottleneck then this will surely just make it worse! I still need to play with it a bit.

hexwab

Post by hexwab » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:42 pm

SarahWalker wrote:
hexwab wrote:How about checking to see if the 4 pixels you're about to write are the same as what's already there?
Not sure how much use this will be over the Tube - I think you meant to say 'if the _host_ is indeed the bottleneck'? If the parasite is the bottleneck then this will surely just make it worse! I still need to play with it a bit.
You are correct, I did. (Isn't the official terminology "coprocessor" or "application processor" and "I/O processor"? Anyway, I misread.) I think I was assuming that because the parasite is ~always faster than the host, and it has less to do (it's relieved of plotting duties), that the host would always be the bottleneck.

SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:06 pm

hexwab wrote:
SarahWalker wrote:
You are correct, I did. (Isn't the official terminology "coprocessor" or "application processor" and "I/O processor"? Anyway, I misread.) I think I was assuming that because the parasite is ~always faster than the host, and it has less to do (it's relieved of plotting duties), that the host would always be the bottleneck.
It depends on the copro - from my testing, at 3 MHz the copro is the bottleneck, at 4 MHz the host is. I've implemented the comparison check on the host side now, and the speedup isn't subtle - it can now hit 25 fps much of the time! Obviously having sprites on screen will slow that down, but a solid 3 frames seems good.

I've had a look at implementing it on the copro side, and it looks complex - not least because I need to account for double buffering! I'll probably come back to it later.

crj

Post by crj » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:06 am

hexwab wrote:(Isn't the official terminology "coprocessor" or "application processor" and "I/O processor"? Anyway, I misread.)
I thought Acorn used "host" and "parasite"?

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:14 am

@SarahWalker . . . . Love the new avatar =D>

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:15 pm

Haven't posted an update for a bit! I've put the optimisation stuff aside, and started trying to make an actual game out of this. I put together a level editor - after the headache of writing the While Light editor in Win32, I wrote this one in C#, and made as much progress in a couple of hours as I had for WL in a couple of days.
toob_editor.png
Designing 4x4 tiles is pretty rubbish so I've doubled up to 4x8. Which looks slightly better, particularly when running in high res mode.
toob_ingame.png
I've also changed the player physics. Previously there was just a hack where moving left/right simply shifted the tube left/right. Now left/right now actually rotates the player, and the velocity is then applied via sin/cos tables. Braking drops the velocity, friction drops it less. I need to add an acceleration curve, and possibly also some momentum. Lots of trial and error here!

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:59 am

Ah cool glad to see another update! Would love to see a new vid (preferably with a screen chock full of those 4x8 designs, which I suspect will look breathtaking!!).
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:58 pm

Oh go on then - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3miRyea ... e=youtu.be.

A couple of other changes I didn't mention - I added a fog effect, as otherwise I found it a little difficult to differentiate between the limited draw distance and the track running out. Also I moved to a fixed game speed, using the basic technique of incrementing a counter on interrupt, then in the main loop plotting when the counter is zero, otherwise run the game logic and decrement the counter.

leenew

Post by leenew » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:08 pm

Very, very clever =D>

Lee.

Mekon

Post by Mekon » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:27 pm

Wow! This is looking amazing. I'm starting to regret getting rid of my Master :(

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:28 pm

Holy cow, Sarah!

minwah

Post by minwah » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:33 am

Looks brilliant! I'm not familiar with the original Tube game, but it reminds me of Yoomp! on the Atari 8 bits:

http://yoomp.atari.pl/
BBC Master | IFEL Switchable MOS | Sundby PiTubeDirect (Pi 3) | RetroClinic DataCentre | Deltronics Control It

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Wow, thanks for posting the new clip Sarah, it's staggeringly impressive! Fog effect seems to work really well also!!
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:17 am

minwah wrote:Looks brilliant! I'm not familiar with the original Tube game, but it reminds me of Yoomp! on the Atari 8 bits:

http://yoomp.atari.pl/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uzSt4TOtA0 :)

From memory, Tube had a lookup table that mapped each pixel of a flat 320x200 (or whatever) bitmap to a tubeified position on the 320x200 mode 13h VGA screen. Watch the video and you'll be able to see this sort of thing in action: it's just ordinary 2D stuff drawn as if wrapped round a tube.

--Tom

P.S. when I say "just", what I mean is that because of the way the 486 works - assuming my 25 year old memories are valid? - the main bottleneck ends up being graphics memory write speed. Getting this working on the BBC is a different matter! Let alone making it run at a playable speed ;)

SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm not entirely sure this is working as a game. I don't think limiting everything to a tube makes for particularly good handling. I really need to get some outside opinion on this though; the only person who's tested this other than me was Arcadian at the most recent ABUG, and the fact that he struggled with the controls isn't filling me with optimism. Maybe I need to step back from it for a bit?

In any case though, I made some changes pre-ABUG. Namely computer-controlled opponents :
toob_withai.png
Getting multi-coloured opponents on screen involved some sprite code changes. There isn't enough RAM to have multiple sets of vehicle sprites, so everything is now plotted via colour translation tables. In addition, I've dropped sprites to 2 bits per pixel, with the colour translation expanding back up to 4. This obviously complicates the sprite code a bit; the inner plotting loop now looks like this :

spr_mod_start:
        ldy #8
        lda (spraddr),y
        tax
        ldy #16
        lda (scraddr),y
        and masktable_exp1,x
spr_plot_exp1_mod1:
        ora ortable_exp1,x        
        sta (scraddr),y
        ldy #24
        lda (scraddr),y
        and masktable_exp2,x
spr_plot_exp2_mod1:
        ora ortable_exp2,x        
        sta (scraddr),y  ;2+5+2+2+5+4+4+6+2+5+4+4+6 = 51 cycles, 30 bytes   
The addresses to the ortables are modified at the start of a plot, based on the sprite colour set.

AI is implemented through the old fashioned method of sticking lots of arrows on the map :
toob_arrows.png
The direction determines what angle the vehicle should be accelerating in, and there's code to slow down if the current direction is completely wrong. There are also directions for braking, and just continuing regardless of the current heading.

This is far from perfect, but the opponents currently do a reasonable job of moving round the track.

Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjYKYvaWgVg

tricky

Post by tricky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:41 am

Looking very good.
Are you heading for a straight race like sprint, or more like simple Mario cart?
The tube certainly gives it a unique look.
Is two player simultaneous an option? I guess that would make controlling the ship even harder.
Or even linking two beebs?
Would it be more playable if you bounced off the edges, probably with a slow down?

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:46 am

Wouter Scholten has a very solid understanding of how to make arcade games really playable - it might be worth asking what he thinks.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:43 am

Obviously I can't comment on how it plays (unless we all crowd round at Cambridge ABug for a go) but it is looking good. Another one of those games/demo's etc that would have been mind blowing in the mid 80's (and still looking good in what ever year we are up to now).