New games per year

feedback, questions and discussion relating to www.bbcmicro.co.uk
pau1ie

New games per year

Post by pau1ie » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:52 pm

I thought it might be interesting to see how the games produced per year alters as a measure of interest in the BBC. You can see the expected decline in interest after it is new, actually I am surprised how quickly interest wanes! Possibly more interesting is the bump around 2009 where people became interested again.

Note the scale is logarithmic, otherwise there would be a massive spike on the left followed by a wiggly line across the bottom.

The peak is in 1984 with 815 games released. This is all according to the bbcmicro website. This was produced from the data in the github repo. I removed everything before 1981 as they were written for other systems, and the 29 games for which the year can't be determined.
Attachments
games.png

jms2

Re: New games per year

Post by jms2 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:15 pm

=D> Nice graph! That's exactly the kind of fairly obscure statistic that I like!

The "commercially successful" period of the BBC's life does look short-lived, but that's only in comparison to the much longer "retro" period. It's interesting to reflect that the latter is already far, far longer than the period of serious use which we remember (well, most of us do I assume).

Return to “the complete BBC games archive”