Should the search box be selected

feedback, questions and discussion relating to www.bbcmicro.co.uk
pau1ie

Re: Should the search box be selected

Post by pau1ie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:53 pm

lurkio wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 am
I didn't want disjoint repos to start slowly drifting out of sync
This doesn't concern me at all, it is one of the problems Git is designed to address, and in my opinion it is really good at it.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:14 pm

pau1ie wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:53 pm
lurkio wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 am
I didn't want disjoint repos to start slowly drifting out of sync
This doesn't concern me at all, it is one of the problems Git is designed to address, and in my opinion it is really good at it.
Yes, by all accounts (and in my own albeit limited experience) Git is a good version control system. No argument there.

All I'm trying to say is that if more than one person is working on the same project then all contributors would ideally communicate with each other and coordinate their changes, e.g. by submitting Pull Requests to the same repo.

But currently it seems that the changes Richard has made have been independent of your repo, as I think you just demonstrated by finding one of the small discrepancies that seem to exist between the live code and your repo. In an ideal world you'd both be working on the same repo, which would make reconciling diffs easier, because that's the whole point of a VCS, right..? And wouldn't the obvious location for that shared repo be somewhere within the Stardot area on Github, given that so many Beeb projects already have their "home" there? (Genuine questions. I'm no expert on all this.)

Anyway, as I said before, I don't think we have too much to worry about in this regard right now. It was just an issue I wanted to raise and make sure that everyone involved had considered -- and you certainly seem to be confident that there's no immediate need for concern, Paul, so that's a relief.

:?:
Last edited by lurkio on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm

This thread seems to be drifting further away from the original topic.

Git is a distributed version control system, which is why this doesn't cause a problem. Chapter 5 of Pro Git has some more information on this topic. Git is very different to a VCS in this way.

I am the main contributor at present. Richard so far is the only other contributor (Apart from the code i have used from other projects). We seem to be managing OK at present. I don't see what problem you are trying to solve. We aren't paid workers who can have ways of working imposed. I would prefer to take Richards contribution in the way he would like to give it rather than force a way of working on him that he might not be comfortable with and make him decide to spend his limited spare time elsewhere. however, if there are other changes in the live system that aren't reflected in version control I would like to know what they are so I can incorporate them into my repository.

To be blunt this type of attitude is why I felt I had to take a break. You were trying to dictate what I and other volunteers should or should not do with our time. I find this demoralising. Please stop taking the fun out of my hobby or I will have to find another one.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:14 pm

pau1ie wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:27 pm
To be blunt this type of attitude is why I felt I had to take a break. You were trying to dictate what I and other volunteers should or should not do with our time. I find this demoralising. Please stop taking the fun out of my hobby or I will have to find another one.
Paul, I'm not trying to dictate anything to anyone. Rather, I'm just raising issues and asking questions. You're free to do whatever you want with your hobby and to make your own decisions, obviously. I have no power whatsoever over you or anyone else, and nor do I wish to have any!

If I was trying to achieve anything at all, it was merely to try to communicate, and collaborate, and help us all work towards a common goal. I mean, I presume we all want bbmicro.co.uk to continue being the great Beeb games archive that it already is. It's currently unique in terms of hosting Beeb games and making them playable online, and it's clearly a fantastic achievement, and I'd hope you were proud of your contribution to it, which was huge.

I'm alarmed and honestly quite distressed to hear that you felt I was trying to "dictate" to you or to anyone else. I don't want to do that and never have wanted to. But I obviously haven't communicated my intentions clearly enough, and for that I'm sorry.

:idea:

Return to “the complete BBC games archive”