Minor inconsistency in displaying publishers

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

Minor inconsistency in displaying publishers

Post by pau1ie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:37 pm

While looking into the articles for games, I noticed that there is a small inconsistency in the way we display publishers, in that where a game has more than one publisher they are delimited by commas, but also the article is tagged on the end using a comma. An example of this is Pipe Loonacy where the publisher displays on my computer as:
Micro User, The, Electron User
The "The" is kind of left hanging in mid air between the two. If you mouse over it becomes clearer as the link is underlined.

Also, the second publisher is "Electron User Group", and the end gets chopped off so as not to destroy the pretty formatting on the page. I think I am happy with this because if the user wants more detail they can click on the game for more detail. Also if it had any more publishers they would get lopped off, and I am happy with this too.

Should I do the same with publishers as I did with games - have a separate field for article, and not display it on the index page, just on the details page (For the game, we don't have pages for publishers)? Or something else, I suppose it is easiest just to chop off the ',' as we do for the '('.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

lurkio

Re: Minor inconsistency in displaying publishers

Post by lurkio » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:25 pm

pau1ie wrote:Should I do the same with publishers as I did with games - have a separate field for article, and not display it on the index page, just on the details page (For the game, we don't have pages for publishers)? Or something else, I suppose it is easiest just to chop off the ',' as we do for the '('.
I'd be inclined to say the latter (just chop off the ',' as we do the '('). Less work for all concerned, I imagine! Plus, publisher names aren't displayed as prominently as game names, so they don't look as awkward, no matter how they're formatted.

:idea:

leenew

Post by leenew » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Agreed.

Lee

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:15 pm

That is done now. Pipe Loonacy displays is publisher now as
Micro User, Electron User
Which I think is better.