Things I am doing: Educational archive

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
pau1ie

Things I am doing: Educational archive

Post by pau1ie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:36 pm

Another thing I am working on is the educational archive. I have a new respect for Lee having catalogued all the games as it is rather dull, and painstaking. Also I am not sure there is the same data out there for educational programs. Lee searches magazines for game metadata. I am sure there must have been advertising for the educational programs, but presumably targeted at teachers and therefore not as widely available as games magazines.

I have input about 70 programs to the website, there are at least 500 in the current version of flaxcottage's This is currently only on my laptop. Would it be possible to host that in a similar place to the bbcmicro website? It would be nice if we could get it hosted then I would be able to ask for help with adding the programs and their metadata.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What would you prefer I spent time on, the application in the other thread or this archive? It kind of depends on what I feel like at the time. This seems more important to me, but I find the desktop program more interesting.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

flaxcottage

Re: Things I am doing: Educational archive

Post by flaxcottage » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:05 pm

From my perspective an online archive for educational software would be great as that could give a wider access.

But your time is your own, man. Do what takes your fancy. :D
- John

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:25 pm

I guess we could get a subdomain set up for the educational archive e.g. edu.bbcmicro.co.uk ?

Oh and seeing as you asked, I think the desktop app concept sounds very cool, I think it could be really useful (especially the MMC picker) but if I was asked which should be higher priority I think I'd have to say education archive.

Though maybe if you flit between the two that might mean you don't get fed up working on the same thing!
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

ABug SOUTH (Hampshire) (1-3 June 2018)

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Arcadian wrote:I guess we could get a subdomain set up for the educational archive e.g. edu.bbcmicro.co.uk ?
That would be smashing.
Arcadian wrote:Though maybe if you flit between the two that might mean you don't get fed up working on the same thing!
This is what I will probably end up doing. Of course the app will also be useful for the educational archive.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:26 pm

Arcadian wrote:I guess we could get a subdomain set up for the educational archive e.g. edu.bbcmicro.co.uk ?
More discussion about this here:
:arrow: