Uridium ssd file not found

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
BigEd

Uridium ssd file not found

Post by BigEd » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:36 pm

Uridium fails to load its disk:
http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=557
Error: Unable to load http://bbcmicro.co.uk//gameimg/discs/Di ... diumCB.ssd, http code 404

hoglet

Re: Uridium ssd file not found

Post by hoglet » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:47 pm

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks both. I fixed Uridium.

This is because when a game is edited it will move the files to a subdirectory. The normal play button is updated, but not if there is a custom URL (Generally to run the game on a master for the sideways RAM). This is the only game with the problem currently, but there are a few games which may get this problem in the future. I will pre-emptively sort them out.
I'm working on http://bbcmicro.co.uk

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks for a quick fix!

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:45 pm

OK, I have moved all games with special URLs (Apart from ones that won't play so we have switched off) to their subdirectories and updated the URL to include the subdirectory. I think I have checked them and they work, but in case anyone else wants to double check that I haven't missed anything, the full list is pretty short and is:

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:44 am

This might be user error, but I fired up Uridium, selected keyboard and some custom keys, and when it eventually started it was just an endless cycle of demo plays. That is, I didn't find a way to start to play.

bakoulis

Post by bakoulis » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:33 am

BigEd wrote:This might be user error, but I fired up Uridium, selected keyboard and some custom keys, and when it eventually started it was just an endless cycle of demo plays. That is, I didn't find a way to start to play.
Same here, even without redefine the keys. I can't start the game, plays only an endless demo mode.
:(

EDIT:
I just downloaded the ssd image and tested with beebem and b-em and works as it should.
So the problem is definitely from Jsbeeb emulator.
#-o
2xElectron, 3xBBC B, BBC Master.
2xAcorn A310, A420/1, 2xA3000, 2xA3010, A3020, A4000, A5000.
2xRISC PC, Acorn Pocket Book, Acorn Pocket Book II.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:57 am

ah, good - well, kind of good - thanks - I've opened an issue
https://github.com/mattgodbolt/jsbeeb/issues/152

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 am

BigEd wrote: I've opened an issue
I thought I remembered encountering something like this before, and after searching, I think it may be related to previously discovered weirdness with uridium here. I am sure I got it to play before though I couldn't swear to it.

Actually there are bugs open in jsbeeb:
https://github.com/mattgodbolt/jsbeeb/issues/130
https://github.com/mattgodbolt/jsbeeb/issues/140

I suppose if you want to play uridium, it is b-em or the real hardware for now. Should we disable the play link until jsbeeb plays it reliably to stop confusion in the future?

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:48 pm

Is there a way to annotate the link rather than disable it? Could be useful for someone aiming to debug the problem.

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:09 pm

BigEd wrote:Is there a way to annotate the link
Yes, we could put a note at the bottom of the game screen, though you wouldn't see it if you clicked play from the search page...

The version of jsbeeb on the website is quite old. I probably ought to update it at some point, but until I do it is probably not the best version to use for testing.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Sounds good.

Fair point about the version - I just checked, and the official version of jsbeeb does the same thing, as does the latest source on the master branch.

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:50 pm

I added a note on the uridium game page. Need to remember to remove it if/when jsbeeb is updated to fix the problem(s).

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks!

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:21 pm

Are we sure it's the actual game / some emulation issue rather than the game code / transfer?
I could get this version, taken from the original disk working OK... :|
(I think the version from the STH archive worked fine too)
Attachments
Uridium.zip
(17.37 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

bakoulis

Post by bakoulis » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:36 am

billcarr2005 wrote:Are we sure it's the actual game / some emulation issue rather than the game code / transfer?
I could get this version, taken from the original disk working OK... :|
(I think the version from the STH archive worked fine too)
You have right, it works.
Your SSD and STH version works with jsbeeb as it should, but are 3 completely different versions.
Your version say "Press space to play" and it works
C.BBC.GA version starts with 2 text screens and it stucks
STH version haven't text screens and don't say "Press space to play" and it works
2 are working, this from the C.BBC.GA it stucks. Very strange.
#-o
2xElectron, 3xBBC B, BBC Master.
2xAcorn A310, A420/1, 2xA3000, 2xA3010, A3020, A4000, A5000.
2xRISC PC, Acorn Pocket Book, Acorn Pocket Book II.

pau1ie

Post by pau1ie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:30 am

I will leave this up to Lee. He tends to prefer MIck Brown's remastered versions (which this is) as they have the instructions from the inlay displayed before the game starts, but as you say, a version that works is probably better than one that doesn't.

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:33 am

I've copied the working game files from the original disk with the !BOOT and Uridium (the instructions - seems unnecessarily obfuscated code?) from the remastered version and also made the disk image 40 track, to save 100KB of download each time!
Somebody else can tinker with it some more of it's not right! :roll:

EDIT: Had chance to try it in Master mode, and still seems to be stuck in demo mode, so no worse than before... will check the documentation and see if it was originally released as being fine on a BBC Master...
Attachments
Disc031-UridiumCB.zip
(19.19 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:06 pm

billcarr2005 wrote:I've copied the working game files from the original disk with the !BOOT and Uridium (the instructions - seems unnecessarily obfuscated code?) from the remastered version and also made the disk image 40 track, to save 100KB of download each time! Somebody else can tinker with it some more of it's not right! :roll: EDIT: Had chance to try it in Master mode, and still seems to be stuck in demo mode, so no worse than before... will check the documentation and see if it was originally released as being fine on a BBC Master...
Thanks, BillC. Your disc-image of Uridium (with instructions added) seems to work in JSBeeb in Model B mode:
So, that's all well and good, but it doesn't explain why Mick's version failed in JSBeeb but worked in other emulators (and also worked on a real Beeb, presumably -- Lee will be able to confirm that)! So the bug report for JSBeeb is still valid, I think.

:?:

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:30 pm

lurkio wrote: So, that's all well and good, but it doesn't explain why Mick's version failed in JSBeeb but worked in other emulators (and also worked on a real Beeb, presumably -- Lee will be able to confirm that)! So the bug report for JSBeeb is still valid, I think.

It could be that JSBeeb is emulating everything correctly, whereas the other emulators aren't doing things right! :?
Master emulation is definitely bugged though, since the original disk works fine!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:02 pm

billcarr2005 wrote:
lurkio wrote: So, that's all well and good, but it doesn't explain why Mick's version failed in JSBeeb but worked in other emulators (and also worked on a real Beeb, presumably -- Lee will be able to confirm that)! So the bug report for JSBeeb is still valid, I think.
It could be that JSBeeb is emulating everything correctly, whereas the other emulators aren't doing things right!
I suspect Lee will have tested Mick's version on a real Beeb because he's tested most of Mick's disc-images on a real Beeb (via DataCentre).

This is yet to be confirmed, but if Mick's version works on a real Beeb (ideally on a real floppy disc), then JSBeeb has a bug of some sort. Right?!

leenew

Post by leenew » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:08 pm

lurkio wrote:
billcarr2005 wrote:
It could be that JSBeeb is emulating everything correctly, whereas the other emulators aren't doing things right!
I suspect Lee will have tested Mick's version on a real Beeb because he's tested most of Mick's disc-images on a real Beeb (via DataCentre).

This is yet to be confirmed, but if Mick's version works on a real Beeb (ideally on a real floppy disc), then JSBeeb has a bug of some sort. Right?!

You are incorrect Lurkio... I tested all the games on a real beeb with datacentre :D

Just checked Uridium via datacentre again and it loads and plays fine on my beeb.
I have also tried it on a real floppy and it also loads and plays fine :?

if it makes any difference, I selected KEYBOARD and did NOT redefine keys.

Lee.