The complete Electron games archive

feedback, questions and discussion relating to www.bbcmicro.co.uk
Papalapa

The complete Electron games archive

Post by Papalapa » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:37 am

I own an Acorn Electron with the ElkSD 64 and it's difficult for me to find programs or games in disk format (SSD) while there's a lot in tape format (UEF).

Is it possible to directly comvert UEF to SSD files? If not, is it possible to play the UEF files (with an TZXduino for example) and "capture" and "dump" the data to be saved in SSD format?

I have seen the BBC games archive website for the BBC micro and I think that unfortunatelly there's nothing similar for the Acorn Electron with the files in SSD format... :(

davidb

Re: The complete Electron games archive

Post by davidb » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:51 am

There are a lot of games in SSD format at Every Game Going. Here's a search for Electron games. The ones with the little disk icon next to the title are the ones you want.

Papalapa

Post by Papalapa » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:22 pm

davidb wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:51 am
There are a lot of games in SSD format at Every Game Going. Here's a search for Electron games. The ones with the little disk icon next to the title are the ones you want.
Wow! Many thanks, I was not aware of this website.

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:40 pm

There's a massive collection of disk images (DFS and ADFS), UEF images, books, magazines etc available at http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/c-dvd.html, at a very reasonable price.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.

Papalapa

Post by Papalapa » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:46 pm

rmbrowngr wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:40 pm
There's a massive collection of disk images (DFS and ADFS), UEF images, books, magazines etc available at http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/c-dvd.html, at a very reasonable price.
Yes, I know this one, in fact two days ago I ordered the Acorn Electron World DVD to Dave :D because SSD files cannot be downloaded from his website, only UEF files are available. Anyway I was surprised how hard was to find .SSD files for this computer while for other ones (Spectrum, Commodore, etc..) there are lots of websites dedicated to this.

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Papalapa wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:37 am
Is it possible to directly comvert UEF to SSD files? If not, is it possible to play the UEF files (with an TZXduino for example) and "capture" and "dump" the data to be saved in SSD format?
You could try the method described here viewtopic.php?t=8123#p85702
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.

davidb

Post by davidb » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:37 pm

rmbrowngr wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:03 pm
You could try the method described here viewtopic.php?t=8123#p85702
That is probably most useful for converting user data stored in UEFs. Most games stored as UEFs will do nasty things like disable hardware and call *TAPE to prevent them from running from disk. So, while creating an SSD is possible for any given game, it won't automatically mean that the game will run.

I would think that most of the SSD versions of games are "cracked" in one way or another.

Papalapa

Post by Papalapa » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:49 am

Thank you for the responses, now I understood that isn't an easy automatic job. I was thinking that maybe it can be done by dumping the RAM data on a .SSD file and later load this file to the Acorn in similar way that some ZX-Spectrum cartridges have done in the past.

It seems that finally the solution for me will be to use the ElkSD64 to load .SSD files an the TZXduino to load .UEF files.

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:43 am

Papalapa wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:49 am
It seems that finally the solution for me will be to use the ElkSD64 to load .SSD files an the TZXduino to load .UEF files.
You could use this tool (PlayUEF) for "playing" uef files viewtopic.php?t=13992

Or additional hardware to load UEF from a PC (UPURS) https://www.retro-kit.co.uk/page.cfm/co ... RAM-board/
Papalapa wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:49 am
Thank you for the responses, now I understood that isn't an easy automatic job. I was thinking that maybe it can be done by dumping the RAM data on a .SSD file and later load this file to the Acorn in similar way that some ZX-Spectrum cartridges have done in the past.
That would be nice. BeebEM and Elkulator emulators have "save state" functionality, having something like that on a real Electron would be a useful tool especially as many software do not have a "Save" function. I wonder if a small program could be written to read these saved states into a real Electron? I suppose you would need this in a ROM package.
Richard B

davidb

Post by davidb » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:57 pm

rmbrowngr wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:43 am
That would be nice. BeebEM and Elkulator emulators have "save state" functionality, having something like that on a real Electron would be a useful tool especially as many software do not have a "Save" function. I wonder if a small program could be written to read these saved states into a real Electron? I suppose you would need this in a ROM package.
Slogger's Click cartridge apparently allowed snapshotting of the machine state. I don't know how well this worked.

I wrote a tool to convert Elkulator snapshots into ROM images. However, it was difficult to ensure that all the relevant state was recreated when resuming a snapshot. Also, if you need to take a snapshot of 32K then you need a way to store it. Click would write the data to disk, I believe.

Papalapa

Post by Papalapa » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:29 pm

davidb wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:57 pm
rmbrowngr wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:43 am
Slogger's Click cartridge apparently allowed snapshotting of the machine state. I don't know how well this worked.

I wrote a tool to convert Elkulator snapshots into ROM images. However, it was difficult to ensure that all the relevant state was recreated when resuming a snapshot. Also, if you need to take a snapshot of 32K then you need a way to store it. Click would write the data to disk, I believe.
Slogger cartridge looks great but as many of these gadgets needs to be connected to the Acorn Plus 1 interface and I don't have it. That's why I ordered ElkSD 64 that allows to be directly connected to the Acorn Electron.

Just a silly question: What to do with a .ROM image if you own a "real" Acorn Electron (not emulator)? How can the image be loaded in the Acorn?

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:33 pm

Load the ROM file into a RAM bank of the ElkSD64
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

Papalapa

Post by Papalapa » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:04 pm

0xC0DE wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:33 pm
Load the ROM file into a RAM bank of the ElkSD64
Thank you, as soon as I receive the ElkSD 64 I'll try... :wink:

roland

Post by roland » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:08 pm

[commercial mode on :mrgreen: ]
You can also have a look at the ElkWifi module; it comes with an online menu and collection of UEF files.
[commercial mode off :- ]
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

Papalapa

Post by Papalapa » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:47 am

roland wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:08 pm
[commercial mode on :mrgreen: ]
You can also have a look at the ElkWifi module; it comes with an online menu and collection of UEF files.
[commercial mode off :- ]
Yeah, I have read the post and ElkWifi looks great but needs the Acorn Plus-1 expansion module to work and I don't have it. ElskSD64 on the other hand connects directly to the Acorn Electron connector

Return to “the complete BBC games archive”