Games with problems

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
roganjosh

Re: Games with problems

Post by roganjosh » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:58 am

Hi Mick,

Splendid. The ideal solution. Thanks.

Alan

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:45 pm

Something to bear in mind when testing games via the Play button on bbcmicro.co.uk is that you can switch to the experimental (and still slightly broken) installation of a more up-to-date version of JSBeeb by changing the text "jsbeeb" in the URL to "jsbeebng".

For example, the following URL --
-- would change to this:

In some browsers, on some platforms, the "NG" version of JSBeeb seems to have a better keyboard layout, as I recall. It also implements sound in some browsers that can't make any sound come out of older versions of JSBeeb. (You might have to click once in the JSBeeb window to kick sound into life.)

Btw, if you want to get rid of the broken image overlay in the NG install, you can add "&noborder" to the end of the URL, thus:

And if you want to get rid of disc-drive noises, you can add "&noseek":
:idea:

leenew

Post by leenew » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Ooh! before I forget,
I had a message from a Master 128 user saying "Contraption" doesn't work.
What do we know about this?
I can't get to my Master at the moment...

Lee.

Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Now added full instruction to Lazer Cycle from Every Game Going that tell you how to skip the instructions and also how to use the control keys to best effect etc.
The game is on D026 in Section 3 of my 30th Anniversary thread.

regards,
Mick.

roganjosh

Post by roganjosh » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:08 pm

The version of Contraption on bbcmicro will certainly not work on a Master. Amongst other things it messes about with the system row multiplication code.

The attached version should work, though I haven't played it through. IIRC it's a version that has previously been posted to stardot.

Alan
Attachments
Contraption-Master.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

leenew

Post by leenew » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:49 pm

Thank you
Early reports suggest this version is OK on the Master...

Let.

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:12 pm

roganjosh wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:08 pm
The version of Contraption on bbcmicro will certainly not work on a Master. Amongst other things it messes about with the system row multiplication code.

The attached version should work, though I haven't played it through. IIRC it's a version that has previously been posted to stardot.

Alan
Presumably the version posted here?

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10056&p=120230

roganjosh

Post by roganjosh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:21 pm

lurkio wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:45 pm
Something to bear in mind when testing games via the Play button on bbcmicro.co.uk is that you can switch to the experimental (and still slightly broken) installation of a more up-to-date version of JSBeeb by changing the text "jsbeeb" in the URL to "jsbeebng".
Useful info thanks. Neither version can coax my W10 Edge browser to produce anything but a black screen when 'play' is selected though. Not a problem for me as at least Firefox & Chrome work in W10. Just giving it a mench in case you weren't aware. I can't see any obvious settings to twiddle with in Edge but I seem to (very likely incorrectly) remember it used to work.

billcarr2005: Ta. Yes, that's the version.

Alan

roganjosh

Post by roganjosh » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:43 pm

Lords of Time (both versions using 'Play'). These suffer from the usual kinds of SAVE/RESTORE failures owing to WP/ACCESS settings.

Alan

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:47 pm

roganjosh wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:43 pm
Lords of Time (both versions using 'Play'). These suffer from the usual kinds of SAVE/RESTORE failures owing to WP/ACCESS settings.
I believe that's because the Play buttons for both versions of Lords Of Time link to an old version of JSBeeb which doesn't allow disc writes.

We could switch both Play buttons to a newer version of JSBeeb which enables writing to disc, but even then your savegames would vanish if you closed the browser tab! (Because the savegames would be written to a temporary disc-image stored in the browser cache. That's just how JSBeeb works -- including the latest version of JSBeeb.)

So would making the switch to a later JSBeeb actually improve the user experience at all? Or would it just give users a false sense of security, letting them think they'd saved their position permanently when in fact all their progress could be wiped out at the close of a tab?

:?:

leenew

Post by leenew » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Do you think it would be a good idea to add notes to bbcmicro.co.uk to all games that offer a save facility Chet?

Lee.

roganjosh

Post by roganjosh » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Masters of the Universe - Super Adventure: Another one with SAVE/LOAD problems under 'Play'. It appears happy with the SAVE GAME command but doesn't produce a file on disc after choosing a numerical slot. It works OK from download.

Alan

barbarossa69

Post by barbarossa69 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:11 am

Pharaoh's Curse by H-Soft is a game that doesn't play on bbcmicro.co.uk

(Well, it does, but you have to use jsbeebng rather than jsbeeb)

Is there any way it can be fixed? The version posted in the archive request thread under Disc027 works in BeebEm, and sort of works in JsBeeb with some screen interference, but it's better than it not working at all...

See thread for details:-

viewtopic.php?p=46292#p46292

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:00 pm

barbarossa69 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:11 am
Pharaoh's Curse by H-Soft is a game that doesn't play on bbcmicro.co.uk (Well, it does, but you have to use jsbeebng rather than jsbeeb) Is there any way it can be fixed?
I've made an ad-hoc edit to the Play URL for this specific game.

But if we wanted to properly address the underlying issue, on a site-wide basis, then someone would have to upgrade the default installation of JSBeeb on bbcmicro.co.uk to the "ng" version (or newer). It's a question of the right volunteer finding the time to do the upgrade.

:idea: