By Fair Means or Foul 128K version

feedback, questions and discussion relating to the Complete BBC Games Archive (beta site now open!)
billcarr2005

By Fair Means or Foul 128K version

Post by billcarr2005 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:23 pm

As mentioned during the following exchanges

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17253&start=30#p239530
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17253&start=30#p239610

could the "complete* version of this title, with the enhanced version for the BBC Master be uploaded to bbcmicro.co.uk, so that anybody wishing to try it out can experience the game the way the authors intended, not just the standard BBC version.
Seems that perhaps Pro Boxing Simulator was released first, but then Superior Software requested some enhancements, so to consider them the same game could be considered somewhat duplicitous :roll:
The same SSD will happily run the non enhanced version too...
Attachments
BY FAIR MEANS OR FOUL 128K.zip
(59.65 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

leenew

Re: By Fair Means or Foul 128K version

Post by leenew » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:41 pm

Done.
I will double check the metadata such as year of release etc. later....

Lee.

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:28 pm

I think it was the other way round, in fact: Superior initially released it as BFMOF (around 1988). Unusually, it was released on a bunch of non-Acorn platforms at the same time (I remember versions for the Spectrum, CPC and C64 from the magazine adverts).

Either coincidentally or related to the joint publishing deal with Alligata for the non-Acorn versions, Codemasters picked it up a few years later and released it on cassette only as Pro-Boxing Simulator - I'm guessing the 128k version was omitted from this format due to the huge loading time.

Codemasters was widely mocked for their 'simulator' series, where they cynically appended the word 'simulator' to any title, no matter how little it simulated anything (normally with some hyperbolic statement like "Absolutely brilliant!" on the cover, from someone truly impartial like the founder of Codemasters, David Darling).

leenew

Post by leenew » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:36 pm

After a quick look on everygamegoing.com and Wikipedia, it seems RichTW has it right.
Superior released the game in 1988, and even the cassette release contained the enhanced Master version.
Codemasters re-released it as a budget title in 1990 on cassette only, and again, included the enhanced version!
Codemasters suffered a backlash from people who bought the game not knowing it was exactly the same as "By Fair Means Or Foul" and they included the words "Also Known As By Fair Means Or Foul" on later versions of the packaging.

Lee.

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:27 am

leenew wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:36 pm
After a quick look on everygamegoing.com and Wikipedia, it seems RichTW has it right.
Superior released the game in 1988, and even the cassette release contained the enhanced Master version.
Codemasters re-released it as a budget title in 1990 on cassette only, and again, included the enhanced version!
Codemasters suffered a backlash from people who bought the game not knowing it was exactly the same as "By Fair Means Or Foul" and they included the words "Also Known As By Fair Means Or Foul" on later versions of the packaging.
The interesting thing here is that they're not exactly the same, as the loading screen was amended to include the new title and publisher. Given that the entire tape loader is a custom blockless system with compression, the original authors must have been contracted to produce a remastered version for Codemasters, as it wouldn't have been a simple case of replacing one file with another. It surprises me a little that Codemasters deemed the whole process worthwhile, particularly given their general lack of support for the BBC/Electron.

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:16 am

Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:28 pm
I think it was the other way round, in fact: Superior initially released it as BFMOF (around 1988).
leenew wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:36 pm
Ahh, I was going off the date on bbcmicro.co.uk (1988), which has now been amended (1990) :wink: